Player Discussion Max Pacioretty - Part 6 Will he stay or will he go? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
As great as Patches goal stats are, Chara kind of ruined him. He would rush to the net like a demon. Such a joy to watch. Different player now. People disagree but the same thing happened to Zednik. Still put up good numbers but he was such a beast in those playoffs and was starting to really look like a player. Still one of my faves though. Would love a pre or post injury Zednik type.

Ouff.. That clothesline from McClaren still haunts me. Zednik was my favorite habs at the time and I was so upset to see him laying on the ice like that. Like you said, he was stepping his game up BIG time in those playoffs. We never saw that kind of intensity and play from him after that; he was not as confident cutting in the middle of the slot like he used to do.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ouff.. That clothesline from McClaren still haunts me. Zednik was my favorite habs at the time and I was so upset to see him laying on the ice like that. Like you said, he was stepping his game up BIG time in those playoffs. We never saw that kind of intensity and play from him after that; he was not as confident cutting in the middle of the slot like he used to do.

How many games does Kyle McLaren get for that in 2018? I think around 30.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
he will be here till the deadline at minimum......it wouldn't surprise me if he is here till next summer and walks as UFA just like Radulov,

i think MB would be more embarrassed to trade him at the deadline for a couple of second rounders, then he would if he leaves in the summer.....that way MB can blame Patches for not resigning and take the blame off himself like he normally does.....excuses excuses....its all about trying to make himself look good and make the player look bad

the fact that montreal has said they are not interested in resigning patch kind of submarines that narrative, no ?

And MB doesnt have to make patch look bad. That's what the playoffs are for.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
the fact that montreal has said they are not interested in resigning patch kind of submarines that narrative, no ?

And yet Bergevin is going out of his way to diminish the return on a Pacioretty trade. You couldn't make this stuff up. The man is a genuine menace.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Right now? Nobody obviously. Thats exactly why paying Radulov last year was a must.

There is a thing called "planning ahead" you know
It’s done. It was last year. Why dwell on it and complain yet again that they have 8 million?! It’s no longer relevant because there was no one to spend it on. That’s my point. Besides, we aren’t ready to compete this year, so I wouldn’t want to see them waste the money. It makes sense.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
And yet Bergevin is going out of his way to diminish the return on a Pacioretty trade. You couldn't make this stuff up. The man is a genuine menace.
I don't like the optics of it, but if rumors are to be believed he did try to move him to the kings ( at least) but patch would not sign the extension.

And you don't have to be a habs fan to know that the relationship between patches and the habs had soured, and his lack of playoff success means that even as a rental for the playoffs there is not a whole lot coming back.

People kept saying that we would get a bottom half first and a good prospect. Maybe we will, but I have always doubted it. I think it is far more likely that if a team really wants a streaky winger at the deadline, the return will be less and if they want him for longer, they sign him as a UFA and don't give up any assets. I actually think that his suitors are actually hoping he plays/sulks all year because in addition you getting him for zero assets, the numbers he was said to be looking for would likely be off the table as well ( its no secret we are gonna suck hard next year).

I seriously doubt that we are in a Duchene type situation, the best offers we had might very well be the best offers we are ever going to get, and duchene wasn't an impending ufa.

I think that he can revive his career somewhere else, he could be a really good piece for a team close to being there. that team is NOT the habs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I scoured the internet to find a statement from anyone within the Montreal Canadiens that says they're not interested in re-signing Pacioretty.

Can't find anything...

Care to share a link?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I scoured the internet to find a statement from anyone within the Montreal Canadiens that says they're not interested in re-signing Pacioretty.

Can't find anything...

Care to share a link?

I know The Score had an article about it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I know The Score had an article about it.
The Score had an article, quoting a source, a trusted source mind you, saying that the Montreal Canadiens informed Pacioretty they weren't going to extend him.

That's not the same thing as saying "The Montreal Canadiens said they're not interested".

I also found an article that states the Montreal Canadiens and Max Pacioretty are trying to work out an extension...why it one has more weight than the other?

True or not...the media doesn't speak for the team. The media put it out there that the Habs aren't negotiating an extension with him (something that should be obvious after they essentially traded him to the Kings last month and let THEM attempt to work out an extension with Pacioretty's camp) no one from the team has said this.

So to say the team put that out there, is patently false.

Reactions: JohnLennon

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't like the optics of it, but if rumors are to be believed he did try to move him to the kings ( at least) but patch would not sign the extension.

And you don't have to be a habs fan to know that the relationship between patches and the habs had soured, and his lack of playoff success means that even as a rental for the playoffs there is not a whole lot coming back.

People kept saying that we would get a bottom half first and a good prospect. Maybe we will, but I have always doubted it. I think it is far more likely that if a team really wants a streaky winger at the deadline, the return will be less and if they want him for longer, they sign him as a UFA and don't give up any assets. I actually think that his suitors are actually hoping he plays/sulks all year because in addition you getting him for zero assets, the numbers he was said to be looking for would likely be off the table as well ( its no secret we are gonna suck hard next year).

I seriously doubt that we are in a Duchene type situation, the best offers we had might very well be the best offers we are ever going to get, and duchene wasn't an impending ufa.

I think that he can revive his career somewhere else, he could be a really good piece for a team close to being there. that team is NOT the habs.

I think you're right. All we need to ask is what might have happened to sour that relationship.

When Pacioretty was called the worst captain in Habs' history, I'm sure that was a contributor to the breakdown of the relationship. Not to mention Bergevin's asinine policy of cleansing the team of its top end talent. Chucky and Radulov were instrumental in much of his recent success.

Then Bergevin refused to enter into negotiation of a contract extension, while publicly announcing Pacioretty was on the market. The current ****show is no surprise.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The Score had an article, quoting a source, a trusted source mind you, saying that the Montreal Canadiens informed Pacioretty they weren't going to extend him.

That's not the same thing as saying "The Montreal Canadiens said they're not interested".

I also found an article that states the Montreal Canadiens and Max Pacioretty are trying to work out an extension...why it one has more weight than the other?

True or not...the media doesn't speak for the team. The media put it out there that the Habs aren't negotiating an extension with him (something that should be obvious after they essentially traded him to the Kings last month and let THEM attempt to work out an extension with Pacioretty's camp) no one from the team has said this.

So to say the team put that out there, is patently false.

I’ll be honest, I never read the article. I get notifications from their app on my mobile so that’s how I knew about it. Instead of reading it at the time, I came here to see the chaos it would cause.

Reactions: 417

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I don't get the posters criticising Bergevin for supposedly screwing up the Pacioretty situation. Literally all the negativity is confirmed to be sourced from media speculation. He hasn't said one thing about Pacioretty to the media. The situation is getting magnified by the media, and thus the fans as an extension.

I understand people's frustration with Bergevin as a GM, but it's clearly clouding their perspective on the Pacioretty situation, which I think is being vastly overblown right now. There will be cause for concern if nothing has been done by the trade deadline, or if real, tangible quotes from Bergevin indicate something alarming... but otherwise, pump the brakes. Literally nothing has happened in months yet somehow the situation is apparently getting more dire.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think you're right. All we need to ask is what might have happened to sour that relationship.

When Pacioretty was called the worst captain in Habs' history, I'm sure that was a contributor to the breakdown of the relationship. Not to mention Bergevin's asinine policy of cleansing the team of its top end talent. Chucky and Radulov were instrumental in much of his recent success.

Then Bergevin refused to enter into negotiation of a contract extension, while publicly announcing Pacioretty was on the market. The current ****show is no surprise.
LMAO!!!

This is ridiculous...

Tell me when Marc Bergevin PUBLICLY announced Pacioretty was on the market???

This never happened lol

In fact his ONLY public statement on Max Pacioretty this offseason, he actually stated "He expects his captain to be back with the Montreal Canadiens next season".

This is the complete opposite of what you're saying he said lol :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't get the posters criticising Bergevin for supposedly screwing up the Pacioretty situation. Literally all the negativity is confirmed to be sourced from media speculation. He hasn't said one thing about Pacioretty to the media. The situation is getting magnified by the media, and thus the fans as an extension.

I understand people's frustration with Bergevin as a GM, but it's clearly clouding their perspective on the Pacioretty situation, which I think is being vastly overblown right now. There will be cause for concern if nothing has been done by the trade deadline, or if real, tangible quotes from Bergevin indicate something alarming... but otherwise, pump the brakes. Literally nothing has happened in months yet somehow the situation is apparently getting more dire.
He actually did say one thing to the media about Pacioretty...he said that he expects him to be back as captain next season.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
He actually did say one thing to the media about Pacioretty...he said that he expects him to be back as captain next season.

Even better. Literally the opposite of creating drama, in my opinion.

Really a shame that slow news weeks means people feel inclined to crap on Pacioretty and Bergevin for no particular reasons.

Reactions: 417

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
LMAO!!!

This is ridiculous...

This never happened lol

In fact his ONLY public statement on Max Pacioretty this offseason, he actually stated "He expects his captain to be back with the Montreal Canadiens next season".

Laugh all you like. The important and indisputable point is Bergevin has been trying to trade Pacioretty, never denied it when asked and refuses to negotiate a contract extension. That's tantamount to the same thing as standing on a street corner and yelling it.

If Bergevin says he expects Pacioretty to be back, it's because he's failing miserably to find a deal he wants, or he's lying. You're too smart a guy to believe anything else.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's almost august. It will be a circus if he's still a hab in 6-7 weeks.

I have no doubt Bergevin will royally screw this up, whether he's traded in August or sometime up until the deadline. I don't think the return will be what I wanted: either a good lottery pick or a stud prospect.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Laugh all you like. The important and indisputable point is Bergevin has been trying to trade Pacioretty, never denied it when asked and refuses to negotiate a contract extension. That's tantamount to the same thing as standing on a street corner and yelling it.

If Bergevin says he expects Pacioretty to be back, it's because he's failing miserably to find a deal he wants, or he's lying. You're too smart a guy to believe anything else.
None of what you wrote has anything to do with what I was referring too.

I don't personally expect that Pacioretty is coming back, so I take HIS ACTUAL comment about him coming back with a grain of salt.

However, you did say that Bergevin and/or the organization said PUBLICLY that he won't be back...

He never said such a thing....

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Can't find anything...

Care to share a link?
have you seen him play ? Do you think the habs are interested in resigning him after he's going to be looking for the bank after signing the sweetheart deal ?

Yes the habs will not pre-run their personnel decisions through press conferences, but if you are surprised that the habs and patches are not long for this earth together, you might want to pay more attention.

He's been reportedly on the block for a LONG time, and for good reason.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
LMAO!!!

This is ridiculous...

This never happened lol

so, Bergevin never tried to trade Pacioretty to the Kings ? ? ? (or any other teams)

II mean, Bergevin did not publicly said it and Pacioretty never publicly said it so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad