Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I wonder if all three parties (Habs, new team, Pacioretty) would be amenable to a bridge/retain/trade deal. For example the Habs sign Pacioretty to a 2 x 9mln extension, then trade him while retaining 2mln on the new deal.

Pacioretty may like this because he gets well-above market value on a two year extension. This deal bridges him to age 31, and he can still sign a 5-ish year deal after this when salary caps will be even higher. Paul Stastny was a year older than this and signed a 4 year deal.

The Habs may like this since they can probably maximize the return on Pacioretty while retaining in years that they may not be competitive.

The new team may like this since they get Pacioretty for three years at net cap hits of 4.5, 7.0, 7.0. That's great value for a proven scorer, and they can either trade him at the deadline of his new deal or resign him.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I wonder if all three parties (Habs, new team, Pacioretty) would be amenable to a bridge/retain/trade deal. For example the Habs sign Pacioretty to a 2 x 9mln extension, then trade him while retaining 2mln on the new deal.

Pacioretty may like this because he gets well-above market value on a two year extension. This deal bridges him to age 31, and he can still sign a 5-ish year deal after this when salary caps will be even higher. Paul Stastny was a year older than this and signed a 4 year deal.

The Habs may like this since they can probably maximize the return on Pacioretty while retaining in years that they may not be competitive.

The new team may like this since they get Pacioretty for three years at net cap hits of 4.5, 7.0, 7.0. That's great value for a proven scorer, and they can either trade him at the deadline of his new deal or resign him.

Sounds good in theory, but as much as i dislike Max and cant wait for the day he is traded- i dont think that benefits him at all.

He scored his goals, and now qants to be paid for it. He,like all players want as much term , at top dollar as possible. What if he gets injured or has another subpar season? His value would greatly diminish and his future contract would suffer the consequences.

Sadly, we will have to settle for captain heartless to come to an agreemenr on a more reasonable extenstion with a trading team.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Agreed , worst captain in habs history , big baby whining about his contract , wont accept a trade deal to play on a much better team

Hes stupid , arrogant and awful captain

The arrogance in your post is pretty ironic... but mostly funny.

he started his career signing a hometown discount... not sure about how well informed you are.

i'd bet you he's in the top 3 for most points per dollar the last 5 years. (take out ECLs)

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The arrogance in your post is pretty ironic... but mostly funny.

he started his career signing a hometown discount... not sure about how well informed you are.

i'd bet you he's in the top 3 for most points per dollar the last 5 years. (take out ECLs)

he did not sign at discount , ur delusional , he signed before he had great seasons and signed the same thing as jvr back then

Know ur facts

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
LA offered him a crappy 6x6 deal and Lou got the 2 players he wanted with his 11th and 12th draft pick.

Since Bergevin wasn't able to pull off a TDL deal for him and chose to attempt to move him at the draft and failed, what is Plan B? Plan C? D?

Did all the back -up plans also fail or were there limited back up plan options or none at all?

Back to square one all the time with Bergevin. It's always due to some factor, woe-is-me. Getting tiresome. At some point, MB has to be held accountable.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Since Bergevin wasn't able to pull off a TDL deal for him and chose to attempt to move him at the draft and failed, what is Plan B? Plan C? D?

Did all the back -up plans also fail or were there limited back up plan options or none at all?

Back to square one all the time with Bergevin. It's always due to some factor, woe-is-me. Getting tiresome. At some point, MB has to be held accountable.

Not trying to give Bergevin a pass or anything but - Sakic took his time a lot with Duchene and it ended up working in his favor. It seems like Bergevin is trying to get a really nice package - supposedly came quite close to doing it a few times. I don't mind being patient.

I'd prefer that than being very disappointed with an immediate crappier return.

Reactions: scrubadam

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Not trying to give Bergevin a pass or anything but - Sakic took his time a lot with Duchene and it ended up working in his favor. It seems like Bergevin is trying to get a really nice package - supposedly came quite close to doing it a few times. I don't mind being patient.

When Sakic started to received offers, Duchene had 3 years left on his contract if I am not mistaken. Duchenne is also a center which hold more value. We will see I guess.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Big difference with the Duchene situation. As a center, there was more demand for him. And he had more term left on his contract than Pacioretty currently has.

Bergevin may have overplayed his hand and he certainly waited too long before putting him on the market. That's what preventing a deal right now. He's looking for a sign and trade and that's high stakes gambling. Let's not turn a delay resulting from a failed approach into credit for imagined patience.

Based on your contention, I hear Bergevin did a great job staying away from all the big name UFAs at the draft. He showed a lot of restraint, especially with Tavares. Didn't you hear?

edit: just saw mariolemieux66's post containing similar points I've made here.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007

Don't bother trying to explain that to some of these people. They'll complain he isnt trading him fast enough,then will complain they didnt get the impossible package they were expecting. Its lose lose with these folks. MB is doing exactly what he is supposed to with Patches.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
First off, im not a huge fan of MB myself. I just can be objective about it all. Secondly, it's quite obvious,you probably don't even know why you dislike him so much because you programmed your brain to hate him after a questionable move or two-and that,no matter what he does.

Last points. Im not pretending im anything. Im posting on this forum,just like you are. Only two differences are : i dont agree with what you're saying and most importantly, i can form a complete,educated thought, instead of the ever so original " you dont agree wih me?Ok gtfo" .

Maybe you should be GM. Cant be worse right? Sigh. lol:thumbu:

Read this again and tell me if you find it as funny as I do.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It’s a slightly complicated issue.

Do you trade him now for a possibly underwhelming deal? (Very important: underwhelming based on Bergevin’s ask)

Or risk going to the trade deadline?

Personally, I think you get better value now. You won’t get necessarily MORE pieces, but I think the pieces today are of higher quality than at the deadline.

The TDL suitors will all be packaging a first rounder. But that’s likely a late first, or 20+.

I think there’s still a reasonable chance of getting a 1st from a team that may not be playoff-bound next year.

It's more important to get him the f*** away from this team than it is on the return imo. He can't be in the room come opening night.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
lol you guys all need to relax. And ripping on the guy is pathetic. He'll be traded when he can be. Bergevin is obviously working on it, complain about the return when we know what it is.
That is very unlike HFing......you need to build true anger and dream up of scenarios that’ll make you lose your mind....

Hey, we’re drafting Tkachuk....:laugh:

Hey, we’re signing Roussel....:laugh:

Hey, we’re signing Bozak.....:laugh:

Hey, Bergevin is trading the 3 overall to save his job.....:laugh:

I heard it all here.......

Bergevin does need to trade Pacioretty though....let’s hope the return is nice

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
It's more important to get him the **** away from this team than it is on the return imo. He can't be in the room come opening night.

Im the first to want him out but you HAVE to be able to get a solid return for him. He is a lousy captain and heartless but he still is a 30 goal scorer and that should return good assets

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Thats up to Molson. For whatever insane reason he is keeping him along for the ride.

But he had 2 known plans and a 3rd rumored plan depending how far you want to believe he was traded to SJ or not. He is circling back after 3 potential plans failed so lets hope he can work out a deal.

The question is why is Max still not traded. Because 2 done deals were killed so now MB has to kick the tires on other teams till one bites with a good offer.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He's not getting paid more than that. Ask John Tortorella how much he's worth. :laugh:

Max fired his agent so he thinks hes worth more than that but thats on him. If he accepted being worth that then he would be an King right now. Instead of a team going for the bottom he could be a depth player on a team that is old but stacked.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Huge Patches of nothingness and they still offered him that?

Thats the rumour. He had a 6x6 offer. Next day they signed Ilya and Max fired his agent and he was rumord to have been traded to SJ.

But the deal was in place. No one knows the return but I bet it was a 1st +Muzzin + prospect. Then maybe MB would of moved the 1st and some other stuff for ROR.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Thats the rumour. He had a 6x6 offer. Next day they signed Ilya and Max fired his agent and he was rumord to have been traded to SJ.

But the deal was in place. No one knows the return but I bet it was a 1st +Muzzin + prospect. Then maybe MB would of moved the 1st and some other stuff for ROR.
Muzzin and ROR for Pacioretty would have been a hell of a return...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad