Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don’t understand the hate, however we do need to trade him.for a few reasons:

A: there’s really no unringing the bell in this case.

B: he will not resign with us when he becomes a UFA

C: we need to capitalize now on players of value

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Too bad he receives such misplaced hatred from so many people in here. Max, along with being one of the league's best goalscorers without ever having had a legitimate center, also plays solid two-way hockey and is proud to wear the CH and the C. He was chosen by the players to be captain for a reason. Really unfortunate how people's frustration with other things is often being taken out on a player who developed and flourished within the organisation, carrying our offence for half a decade, and represents the team honourably and proudly.

Cheers to Max, I'd be glad if he stuck around longer term if we can't find reasonable return for him via trade, but understand moving him given the team's current predicament.

And to those of you who choose to spew nothing but hatred for the captain of our team, and most other things related to the Habs, I really urge you to re-think how you spread your meaningless negativity and how it affects the culture on our Habs forum. Anger is the easiest way to unite people, but creates so much tension and makes it really unpleasant to want to visit the site. Though I do understand, times are hard. There's reason for hope nonetheless, and it would likely be more constructive to focus on that instead.

Well spoken - hope to hear more from you in this forum in the future

Reactions: crazyd74

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don’t understand the hate, however we do need to trade him.for a few reasons:

A: there’s really no unringing the bell in this case.

B: he will not resign with us when he becomes a UFA

C: we need to capitalize now on players of value
His value will probably be highest at the trade deadline at this point

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Pacioretty will not play again in a Habs jersey.
If he wasn't the captain, maybe, maybe a very slim chance, but with the C on his shirt, it is absolutely impossible.
The management took its decision and they are trading Pacioretty.

As they should, they basically defended him for 2 years and he still spits on their face by saying that he's not ready to give up the captaincy. Hence proving why they think he should never touch a letter ever again, not that he should! Terrible display of leadership, leadership is about SERVING and an HONOR born in HUMILITY. Patches doesn't understand any of this at his age, terrible.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
As they should, they basically defended him for 2 years and he still spits on their face by saying that he's not ready to give up the captaincy. Hence proving why they think he should never touch a letter ever again, not that he should! Terrible display of leadership, leadership is about SERVING and an HONOR born in HUMILITY. Patches doesn't understand any of this at his age, terrible.

The problem with this thinking is that you're basing your opinion off speculation. How do we know if management asked him to relinquish the C? How do we know he would/wouldn't if he was asked? All we know is that he told media members who asked him if he'd give it up that he would not. That seems like the only reasonable answer you could give to the Montreal media anyways. For all intents and purposes, he's been a fine captain for this team in my eyes.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
His value right now is pretty low. It's best to wait at the trade deadline.

Pacces needs to focus on scoring goals next season so the Habs can find a suitor. Issue is that there's going to be a lot of pressure on Pacces all season long.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I wonder if all three parties (Habs, new team, Pacioretty) would be amenable to a bridge/retain/trade deal. For example the Habs sign Pacioretty to a 2 x 9mln extension, then trade him while retaining 2mln on the new deal.

Pacioretty may like this because he gets well-above market value on a two year extension. This deal bridges him to age 31, and he can still sign a 5-ish year deal after this when salary caps will be even higher. Paul Stastny was a year older than this and signed a 4 year deal.

The Habs may like this since they can probably maximize the return on Pacioretty while retaining in years that they may not be competitive.

The new team may like this since they get Pacioretty for three years at net cap hits of 4.5, 7.0, 7.0. That's great value for a proven scorer, and they can either trade him at the deadline of his new deal or resign him.

My gut feeling is that Max gave the cold shoulder because of the term. Considering his past injury, he probably wants to max out on the number of years

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Gotta wait for Ottawa to trade Karlsson.
Teams that are interested in Patch (Vegas, Dallas, San Jose) are also interested in Karlsson. They won't be giving up their top assets for Patch when they could possibly use it to get karlsson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Too bad he receives such misplaced hatred from so many people in here. Max, along with being one of the league's best goalscorers without ever having had a legitimate center, also plays solid two-way hockey and is proud to wear the CH and the C. He was chosen by the players to be captain for a reason. Really unfortunate how people's frustration with other things is often being taken out on a player who developed and flourished within the organisation, carrying our offence for half a decade, and represents the team honourably and proudly.

Cheers to Max, I'd be glad if he stuck around longer term if we can't find reasonable return for him via trade, but understand moving him given the team's current predicament.

And to those of you who choose to spew nothing but hatred for the captain of our team, and most other things related to the Habs, I really urge you to re-think how you spread your meaningless negativity and how it affects the culture on our Habs forum. Anger is the easiest way to unite people, but creates so much tension and makes it really unpleasant to want to visit the site. Though I do understand, times are hard. There's reason for hope nonetheless, and it would likely be more constructive to focus on that instead.

Max has always benefitted from the very best reps. The problem is he's really only had one solid two way season and if he'd continued to follow that up there would be zero derision on this board. But let's not pretend.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The problem with this thinking is that you're basing your opinion off speculation. How do we know if management asked him to relinquish the C? How do we know he would/wouldn't if he was asked? All we know is that he told media members who asked him if he'd give it up that he would not. That seems like the only reasonable answer you could give to the Montreal media anyways. For all intents and purposes, he's been a fine captain for this team in my eyes.

Speculation? I don't care what the habs said to Max. It's his answer to a journalist I'm talking about "I won't accept to surrender the C to stay in Montreal". This painted management in a corner, regardless of what they said. Sorry if that's news to you, but the role of the captain is to be the best ally of management at all times. The first things Patches does as the season end is to go counter this very simple principle. Do you think Crosby or Toews would have answered like that? "I'm just here to serve, that's their decision".

The 2nd thing that's not speculation and absolutely worth trading a captain for: Max talking about Eller bringing him the cup so that he can see it (interview at the Grand Prix). Sorry, this is more than dumb. You can see the cup when you win it.

This sounds exactly like a guy in the process of burning bridges to me! And then followed what happened with the Kings and Brisson, the guy is clearly at-war with Bergevin at this point, there is no way back from there.

Reactions: Big Lurk

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
According to my latest dream (nightmare), Pacioretty will be traded to Pittsburgh for Brassard and a 2nd...

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Waiting until the TDL would be a huge mistake. He’s basically a rental at that point and we limit the interested teams To those that are in contention.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Trade him now please, don’t create a Tavares situation where we lose him for nothing, or a Moen situation where he gets concussed a week before the deadline and costs us a good return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad