Injury Report: Max Pacioretty Injured - 12 weeks recovery expected

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Seriously Flynn and Mitchell bring nothing do this team. MB missed his chance at improving the team. Prust,Malhotra,Bournival,Weiss,Dumont can all do the job. The goal was to add a top 6 and he didn't do it. DSP will be relegated to the 4th line soon enough.

Easy enough to say
Yet there is no way on earth that you can even guess what the asking price was and further to that you have no clue as to who was available or offered up
Easy to make your statement, not sure if it holds much water.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Easy enough to say
Yet there is no way on earth that you can even guess what the asking price was and further to that you have no clue as to who was available or offered up
Easy to make your statement, not sure if it holds much water.

I think he want to say should of been top 6 or nothing at all.
Would have to agree with the might as well keep the picks and let Timmins gamble.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The difference of quality of player between Maholtra and Boyle is apples to oranges,

but their salary isn't. Term matters but what does it matter since Bergevin will

have to sign someone to replace Maholtra or a kid will come up to take Maholtra's

spot next season anyways and it's ot like Boyle wil regress in the next 3 years . I'll take a 6'7'' 245 pounds guy that can score 15

goals on a 3rd line over any player that will come up and play on Montreals bottom

6 even if he costs 1M less. Boyle is the kind of guy every team wants on their bottom

6 and 2M/Per for 3 years is peanut for this guy.

The problem with Boyle though is he can be a lot of things but he is very inconsistent at them, sort of like the Pouliot of big centers. He can be physical but it's not natural for him so it comes and goes, he can score but does it in streaks and has had some bad years(8 goals in 120 games last 2 years but 14 in 71 GP this year). He can be good defensively, physical and score but those skills all seem to come and go, hard to find a constant role.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
will be interesting to see what the plan is for the 4th line when Mitchell and Flynn are healthy as the last 2 games our 4th line has looked impressive so if they keep this up I could see them sticking with them when the playoffs start.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I think he want to say should of been top 6 or nothing at all.
Would have to agree with the might as well keep the picks and let Timmins gamble.

I don't think they're bad moves for the prices paid. You never know what's around the corner and having some experienced, motivated depth for the playoffs is not a bad thing. Plus it's been only like 2 weeks for both players, adjustments take time.

Regardless, Prust, Malholtra, and Weise are rounding into a solid line just in time for the playoffs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think they're bad moves for the prices paid. You never know what's around the corner and having some experienced, motivated depth for the playoffs is not a bad thing. Plus it's been only like 2 weeks for both players, adjustments take time.

Regardless, Prust, Malholtra, and Weise are rounding into a solid line just in time for the playoffs.

agreed, he paid little to acquire cheap depth and you never know what injuries will happen. It does take time to get used to a new system, coaching staff and teammates so we'll see how it works out. Also glad to see the 4th line rounding into form just in time for the playoffs.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
When Mitchell and Flynn are back, who should be centering the fourth line?

Malhotra, Mitchell or Flynn?

HabsChik*

Manny Malhotra my man, The playoff face-off master.
That's who.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
agreed, he paid little to acquire cheap depth and you never know what injuries will happen. It does take time to get used to a new system, coaching staff and teammates so we'll see how it works out. Also glad to see the 4th line rounding into form just in time for the playoffs.

I would not say he paid little.

If we reach the 2nd round the price paid will be 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th. That's more than half of our choices for a year ...

If we reach the semies the price will be 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th.

I think Flynn is totally useless. I prefer Bournival. As for Petry he is going to ask too much this summer. I'm not impressed as much as others by him. He still has 0 point. We need to add offense to our 2nd duo. There's only 2 ways to do that. Find a LH d man able to play with Subban and move Markov to the 2nd duo. Or Find a guy able to do more than 10-15 points while playing 2nd duo minutes. Doesn't look like Petry can do more than 15 points. SO we will need to find a guy able to play with Subban but if we give 5 millions to Petry it will be hard to do that.

Anyway we will see but i would not say we paid little if we can't sign Petry for a reasonable amount.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would not say he paid little.

If we reach the 2nd round the price paid will be 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th. That's more than half of our choices for a year ...

If we reach the semies the price will be 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th.

I think Flynn is totally useless. I prefer Bournival. As for Petry he is going to ask too much this summer. I'm not impressed as much as others by him. He still has 0 point. We need to add offense to our 2nd duo. There's only 2 ways to do that. Find a LH d man able to play with Subban and move Markov to the 2nd duo. Or Find a guy able to do more than 10-15 points while playing 2nd duo minutes. Doesn't look like Petry can do more than 15 points. SO we will need to find a guy able to play with Subban but if we give 5 millions to Petry it will be hard to do that.

Anyway we will see but i would not say we paid little if we can't sign Petry for a reasonable amount.

I look at it 2 ways, he got cheap depth via Flynn/Mitchell for a 5th and a 7th in 2016 which is a year where he have an extra 2nd round pick. So not a big deal imo. Then he made a move to improve the roster by getting a solid top 4 defensemen which is not going to come cheap. If it ends up being a 2nd + a 3rd that's still not too bad as it will mean we went far and there's still hope that we could re-sign him as he may be impressed with the playoff run and want to play for a winner. It would give us a very solid top 3 of Subban, Markov and Petry going forward for hopefully a couple years or however long Markov can keep up his play.

As for Flynn vs Bournival, it's too early to say since Flynn needs time to adjust, he's an RFA so assuming we bring him back we'll see how it goes. No way would I prefer Bournival to him as I think Bournival just isn't very good other then skating fast and working hard. Flynn was a good player in the NCAA and has put up some points this year.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Guys, just back from 7 days in Mexico..............I see Emelin is back, and Pateryn is back up...Is Gonchar injured? Or a healthy scratch?

Gonchar's a healthy scratch. More physicality was the itch. Pateryn was the answer. Now Petry's out with the flu, so Pateryn remains in.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Mitchell is back today. Any news about Flynn ?
Four newest players have totaled 0g - 1a so far, right ?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Mitchell is back today. Any news about Flynn ?
Four newest players have totaled 0g - 1a so far, right ?

Mitchell and Flynn don't bring anything more than competition on the fourth line slots. That's it.

Not impressed. But I guess bringing in players(bottom six to boot) from what could be a top 5 historically bad team brings this kind of result.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
I like Mitchell. I think he is a much better player than Malhotra and I hope to see him in a Habs’ uniform next season... assuming he is asking for a very cap friendly salary!

Prust – Mitchell –Weise is a very good 4th line. Heck... the last time I saw such a solid 4th line in Mtl was Latendresse – Lapierre – Kostopoulos!

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
I have nothing against Mitchell or Flynn I understand they add depth to the lineup. That's ok but I m not going to debate who is better. Malhotra vs Mitchell or Flynn. Role players = same Malhotra being the more senior and experienced who already knows the system. MB is a great GM but he did not get it done IMO. He did not have to trade Sekac to get DSP again imo. Next not adding a top 6 was a mistake. The future is now and the window is small. Their is not one power house team therefore one or two good trades and the habs could have been it.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
I like Mitchell. I think he is a much better player than Malhotra and I hope to see him in a Habs’ uniform next season... assuming he is asking for a very cap friendly salary!

Prust – Mitchell –Weise is a very good 4th line. Heck... the last time I saw such a solid 4th line in Mtl was Latendresse – Lapierre – Kostopoulos!

2009-2010

Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moore, Metropolit, Pouliot,

--> Moore, Pouliot. What correlation between them and the habs.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, the bottom 6 in the 2009-2010 run was pretty cool. That Pyatt-Moore-Lapierre line was pretty awesome and Metropolit was pretty badass as a 4th line centre,

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I have nothing against Mitchell or Flynn I understand they add depth to the lineup. That's ok but I m not going to debate who is better. Malhotra vs Mitchell or Flynn. Role players = same Malhotra being the more senior and experienced who already knows the system. MB is a great GM but he did not get it done IMO. He did not have to trade Sekac to get DSP again imo. Next not adding a top 6 was a mistake. The future is now and the window is small. Their is not one power house team therefore one or two good trades and the habs could have been it.

Injuries can, and will happen, as we approach the post season

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I actually really like Mitchell as a fourth line centre, brings a lot more energy and is better at both ends of the ice than Malholtra.

Flynn hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself but he didn't do much when he played, maybe he'll see some time in the playoffs if DLR struggles and impress.. but not holding my breathe.

Still wish we would've just re-signed White for forward depth, would've been dirt cheap and wouldn't of had to waste picks on guys who will probably barely even play in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad