Player Discussion Max Pacioretty discussion part VII: Maximus Decimus Tradius Valus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Nashville got depth everywhere and a great pool of young talents.

IF Patches is ever traded to Nashville, I hope the outcome will be better than what MB got for Subban.

Turris is a #2 centerman at best. Fiala might be a good fit. A D-man ? Why would Nashville want to brake their top-four ? A 1st rounder ? Could be a very late one.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Hard to believe that Max has not been moved yet. It’s obvious he is on the way out but in 3 weeks the circus will be all around this team if Pacioretty is still a hab.

Disgusting management. Should have been gone by the draft at the LATEST.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A trainer pumping his client's tires... Nothing to see here.

It is a contract year however. I don't doubt for a moment the Pacioretty camp is all over it. They are probably as disappointed as we are that a deal/extension hasn't been inked somewhere.
The thing that astounds me is how Bergevin gives flowers to guys like DD and Plek for example and then hard balls guys like Subban and Radulov and Markov. He's definitely stonewalling Max and even though I don't like the player that much he deserves an extension in a contract year far more than Tomas ever did. "Once bitten..." :huh:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Nashville got depth everywhere and a great pool of young talents.

IF Patches is ever traded to Nashville, I hope the outcome will be better than what MB got for Subban.

Turris is a #2 centerman at best. Fiala might be a good fit. A D-man ? Why would Nashville want to brake their top-four ? A 1st rounder ? Could be a very late one.

why would nashville trade Fiala who is kinda breaking out, 22 year old, same position and still cost controlled for pacioretty?

my guess would be something around fabbro + 1st... after that you hope juulsen and him realy pan out. then you trade one of you RHD prospect to a similar LHD one. RHD is the second most valuable position and we have pretty good depth there!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hard to believe that Max has not been moved yet. It’s obvious he is on the way out but in 3 weeks the circus will be all around this team if Pacioretty is still a hab.

No, the circus is that this is even a discussion. Almost every team re-signs its good players unless they are up against the cap, which we are not.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
With training camps not started yet, you're not giving GMs a chance to review their line up either due to injury or wrong pairings. The circus will have to be a necessary evil I'm afraid.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No, the circus is that this is even a discussion. Almost every team re-signs its good players unless they are up against the cap, which we are not.

That’s an incredibly short sited view with lack of vision. This roster isn’t visibly close to a Stanley Cup contender, which is what all teams, especially the ones with money like we have should be aiming for. When teams are in transition like we are, they sell players off for assets as it frees up cap in the future and creates room for a reset. Teams do resign they’re good players of course, but you have to take age and where you seem the team a couple years down the road and Pacioretty doesn’t fit the window we should be aiming for. The only way it would make sense is if he was on another seeetheart deal during those years, and be honest, you think he’s taking a discount to stay here after we took his prime years at $4.5 million?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That’s an incredibly short sited view with lack of vision. This roster isn’t visibly close to a Stanley Cup contender, which is what all teams, especially the ones with money like we have should be aiming for. When teams are in transition like we are, they sell players off for assets as it frees up cap in the future and creates room for a reset. Teams do resign they’re good players of course, but you have to take age and where you seem the team a couple years down the road and Pacioretty doesn’t fit the window we should be aiming for. The only way it would make sense is if he was on another seeetheart deal during those years, and be honest, you think he’s taking a discount to stay here after we took his prime years at $4.5 million?

If the window is in 3-4 years, a scoring 33 year old winger is still useful.

The future assets gained by trading him with one year to go are pretty much assuredly not going to be as good as he is, even at his age.

The Habs have drafted or acquired 18 first-round FORWARD picks since 2003 (not counting 2017 and 2018), and not one of them has been better than Patches. And since the pick obtained will probably be a late first rounder, it's a terrible risk.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If the window is in 3-4 years, a scoring 33 year old winger is still useful.

The future assets gained by trading him with one year to go are pretty much assuredly not going to be as good as he is, even at his age.

The Habs have drafted or acquired 18 first-round FORWARD picks since 2003 (not counting 2017 and 2018), and not one of them has been better than Patches. And since the pick obtained will probably be a late first rounder, it's a terrible risk.

All I got from what you said is he’s been one of our best players. Which yes, he has. You seem to be all on the train he won’t decline and will continue scoring. I disagree. I don’t see his game maturing well as he gets older which is where we disagree. And why I would never throw a long term contract at him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
All I got from what you said is he’s been one of our best players. Which yes, he has. You seem to be all on the train he won’t decline and will continue scoring. I disagree. I don’t see his game maturing well as he gets older which is where we disagree. And why I would never throw a long term contract at him.

Max suffered from the Julien offence-suffocation. He can still skate and is still a good player. ONE 22-goal pace season, with no centreman, and worse PMD than previous years, is not a fatal indictment.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Max suffered from the Julien offence-suffocation. He can still skate and is still a good player. ONE 22-goal pace season, with no centreman, and worse PMD than previous years, is not a fatal indictment.

Bergevin has poisoned the well with his outrageous treatment of his players. If you're not a favorite, you can expect bad faith bargaining and to be blamed or discounted in the media.

How does Molson allow this to continue? Its a blight on the franchise now and going forward.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Julien’s offensive system is less suffocating then Therrien's, yet he produced in Therrien’s.What he suffered from was lack of blueline quarter backs and chemistry with any players. They spent half the season playing him with Drouin and they were a fit like fire and gasoline.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Max suffered from his inability to exploit his prime ice-time last year. Easy to blame lack of center icemen and Julien...
The reality is Max did not play very well and was a black hole on our PP last year with poor passing and a ridiculous amount of plays just dying on his stick. He can and has to do much much better. Whatever happened to the Adam Oates training he supposedly had? His play making got worse.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Tolvanen or Fabbro and a 1st and I’d trade Patches to Preds.

I don't know man. The Preds had James Neal and could have found ways to keep him. They missed his big body in the post season last year and if they wouldn't pay to keep him they certainly won't want to pay Max's asking price.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't know man. The Preds had James Neal and could have found ways to keep him. They missed his big body in the post season last year and if they wouldn't pay to keep him they certainly won't want to pay Max's asking price.

You have Max at $4.5 or less in a contract year. They have to make a run this year before more players need more contracts. We could even pick up Rinne for them for his last year and give them that much more cap space.

It could get done if there’s a will on either side.

Reactions: bsl

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You have Max at $4.5 or less in a contract year. They have to make a run this year before more players need more contracts. We could even pick up Rinne for them for his last year and give them that much more cap space.

I agree but...
There is so much negativity swirling around Max's head I think Poile will consider it an over-payment. Unless he wants to gift us for Subban. :sarcasm:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Max isn't returning a 1st and Poile ain't no fool. Bergevin has failed to acquire addition compensation in the form of picks even with the obvious gaps in talent and lopsided trades between Subban/Weber and Galchenyuk/Domi.

Thanks for your psychic prediction. I didn’t even have to call a 1-900 number to get it. What a deal!

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Max isn't returning a 1st and Poile ain't no fool. Bergevin has failed to acquire addition compensation in the form of picks even with the obvious gaps in talent and lopsided trades between Subban/Weber and Galchenyuk/Domi.

Yeah cause the market showed us only elite players can return 1st ...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Yeah cause the market showed us only elite players can return 1st ...

The market doesn't set the return. The GMs do. Like when Bergevin thought that oldman Weber was the equivalent of a Norris defeneman or when Bergevin was the one that gave up a conditional second because he thought that a potential franchise defenseman was worth less than a problemed winger with a headcase.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018

Max isn't our only asset we can use... we also have our best player Cap Space who is signed for another 8 million this season.

Reactions: bsl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad