Player Discussion Max Domi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No they couldn't roll four lines. It would have been a waste of Eller, DD or Galch to use them on the 4th line. Galch was one of our better wingers and best prospects, they wanted him to develop there instead of creating a hole on the wing and pointlessly move one of those guys to the 4th line.
Well let's see what happens to him in Arizona. If he blossoms into a center ala Brayden Schenn last year, I'll eat crow. If he continues to be the Galchy we've known and argued about, then time to just admit he wasn't the player we hoped he'd be.

Reactions: Acadien86

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They only used Galchenyuk at center when they had no other option. They used freaking DD for 4 years instead of him. Ya, Therrien finally moved him there, but he got fired and as you said Julien moved Galch back to the wing.
If, as an organization, your plan is to use a certain player at center. You don't wait 5 years to do it and you definitely don't let your coach, new or not, use Paul freaking Byron at center over him.

It's wrong to say "they had no choice" because as you can see with Chu Rien, choices can be found, even lousy ones. :(

Té Rien throughout his tenure said that the goal was to have Chucky be the center. Yes, he was dumb as a doorknob but at least give him credit for that. That goal changed when Chu Rien arrived. And I do blame MB for letting it happen.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well let's see what happens to him in Arizona. If he blossoms into a center ala Brayden Schenn last year, I'll eat crow. If he continues to be the Galchy we've known and argued about, then time to just admit he wasn't the player we hoped he'd be.
I don't want you to eat crow, this isn't about who was write about what.
It's his 7th season, the chances he now blossoms are extremely rare. I'm not expecting him to play much differently than how he did here.
But it really should not be difficult for anybody to admit we definitely messed some stuff up with him.
For Christ's sake, Julien put him on the 4th line and used Byron as a center over him. I don't give a crap how unreliable you think he is, you're not going to argue with me that this was the way to go. Or that Drouin was more reliable or better than him at center.

I don't care about Galch, I was never a fan of his game and I couldn't give two craps about how he does in Arizona. I also don't think he could have ever been more than a 60ish pt center for us. But I won't argue that management developed this kid to the best of his abilities and did it properly. I mean come on.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't want you to eat crow, this isn't about who was write about what.
It's his 7th season, the chances he now blossoms are extremely rare. I'm not expecting him to play much differently than how he did here.
But it really should not be difficult for anybody to admit we definitely messed some stuff up with him.
For Christ's sake, Julien put him on the 4th line and used Byron as a center over him. I don't give a crap how unreliable you think he is, you're not going to argue with me that this was the way to go. Or that Drouin was more reliable or better than him at center.

I don't care about Galch, I was never a fan of his game and I couldn't give two craps about how he does in Arizona. I also don't think he could have ever been more than a 60ish pt center for us. But I won't argue that management developed this kid to the best of his abilities and did it properly. I mean come on.
Kadri came into the league and played with Orr and McLaren. Playing on the 4th line is how most rookies get their feet wet. It's hardly some traumatic event that will forever impact the psyche of the guy, dude is playing in the NHL lol

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's wrong to say "they had no choice" because as you can see with Chu Rien, choices can be found, even lousy ones. :(

Té Rien throughout his tenure said that the goal was to have Chucky be the center. Yes, he was dumb as a doorknob but at least give him credit for that. That goal changed when Chu Rien arrived. And I do blame MB for letting it happen.
Therrien did not have the luxury to push Galch down anymore. He was coming off a horrible season where we ended in bottom 10. He needed to bounce back and have a good year, Galch having a good year was important for his survival.
Julien on the other hand, he comes in fresh with a huge deal, he could have scratched Galch for the sake of it if he wanted.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kadri came into the league and played with Orr and McLaren. Playing on the 4th line is how most rookies get their feet wet. It's hardly some traumatic event that will forever impact the psyche of the guy, dude is playing in the NHL lol
Right, as a rookie. We are not talking about a rookie and we are not talking about the Leafs.
You are reinforcing my point. They could have totally used Galch as a center on the 4th line as a rookie if that is where they wanted to develop him. They also would have been patient seeing how he was a 19yo coming off a knee injury and all. But they didn't even do that. Goes to show you, they wanted him on the wing right from early on.

Reactions: Sorinth

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Right, as a rookie. We are not talking about a rookie and we are not talking about the Leafs.
You are reinforcing my point. They could have totally used Galch as a center on the 4th line as a rookie if that is where they wanted to develop him. They also would have been patient seeing how he was a 19yo coming off a knee injury and all. But they didn't even do that. Goes to show you, they wanted him on the wing right from early on.
MB said from the moment he drafted him that they drafted him to be a center. He just never became one. Time to just accept it.

Reactions: Acadien86

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
This year is a development year, the numbers are not important. We can see him improve each days and that's what is important.

As long as they let him be him I am good with this. If they try and mold him into something he's not, like Therrien tried with Galchenyuk, they will ruin yet another top prospect.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Therrien did not have the luxury to push Galch down anymore. He was coming off a horrible season where we ended in bottom 10. He needed to bounce back and have a good year, Galch having a good year was important for his survival.
Julien on the other hand, he comes in fresh with a huge deal, he could have scratched Galch for the sake of it if he wanted.

I agree. I'm just pointing out that just when we thought Therrien had no choice and this is why he played AG27 at C, Chu Rien proved that worse choices existed and could always be drummed up (eg. Byron or Hudon). I thought Therrien was dumb and still do, but he at least always said the goal was for Chucky to play C, it was only a matter of when. That changed with the arrival of Chu Rien, and the season ended with a whimper vs NYR.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree. I'm just pointing out that just when we thought Therrien had no choice and this is why he played AG27 at C, Chu Rien proved that worse choices existed and could always be drummed up (eg. Byron or Hudon). I thought Therrien was dumb and still do, but he at least always said the goal was for Chucky to play C, it was only a matter of when. That changed with the arrival of Chu Rien, and the season ended with a whimper vs NYR.
Therrien never said that. Bergevin is the one that kept repeating it, until one day he said, maybe he won't ever play center again, or maybe he will, who knows.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
MB said from the moment he drafted him that they drafted him to be a center. He just never became one. Time to just accept it.
Hm..okay?..Is that supposed to be an argument? He also said PK would play for a long long time with the Habs and traded him two days ago. He says all kind of BS.
I don't know what you're arguing about really. Seems like you just to dump on Galch because you didn't like him and have zero objectivity on the matter.

They could have used Galch as a center on the 4th as a rookie if that's where they really wanted to develop him, that came from your own mind.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Don't forget when everything was on the line and we were facing elimination even Julien put Galchenyuk at center. So deep down both coaches knew Galchenyuk was better at center, for whatever reason they just refused to do it until they felt they had too.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The victimisation of AG27 will never end. The guys received all the opportunities he needed. He has skills but also a poor hockey IQ and vision. He cannot set up wingers nor play defense. He is not a center.
There is no victimization. People are discussing the developmental decisions of an organization towards one of its prospects. Not sure why people have to turn this into teenage drama.
Yes, there are legit questionable decisions that were taken. No that does not mean Galch would have become an 80 pt center.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so far he's been great, but hard to believe he'll keep up this pace. I mean he certainly has his fair share of skill since he crushed it with London but would be quite the surprise to see him go from 45 pts last year to almost double that with us. I know I was in favor of getting Domi, just wish the trade was for something else even though I was in favor of trading Galchenyuk, I thought if they were going to do that then the plan should have been to prop up his numbers last year to increase his value.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
so far he's been great, but hard to believe he'll keep up this pace. I mean he certainly has his fair share of skill since he crushed it with London but would be quite the surprise to see him go from 45 pts last year to almost double that with us. I know I was in favor of getting Domi, just wish the trade was for something else even though I was in favor of trading Galchenyuk, I thought if they were going to do that then the plan should have been to prop up his numbers last year to increase his value.

Agreed. Domi has surpassed my expectations but he was trending worse than Galchenyuk IMO. It has seemed to work out for us but it's early yet. I think we all can agree that it would of been proffered to acquire Domi but with other pieces. Not sure what it takes but adding Domi and keeping Galchenyuk would of been ideal.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I think that if Domi becomes a better player for us than Galchenyuk ever was, the it's a win no matter how well chucky does wherever he ends up.

So far i think Domi has better vision, work ethic, speed and iq than Chucky who has the better hands and shot, if he can hit the net with it.
The only real advantage is his shot really, Chuck has a great release no two ways about it. Even though he does have better hands, it's tough for him to really take advantage of that because he doesn't move his feet. He keeps trying to deke players almost standing still. Domi is a much better overall player imo.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He had 28 in his last 61 that year, but you can't just ignore his 2 goals in 20 games to start the year which was horrible.

You could find a similar stat for an awful lot of very good players every season. Slumps happen and are often not indicative of anything except some bad luck.

Disingenuous comment. Chucky was on the 4th line After he scored 30 and after he had a fantastic run at centre. It's not the same thing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
As long as they let him be him I am good with this. If they try and mold him into something he's not, like Therrien tried with Galchenyuk, they will ruin yet another top prospect.

I posted this in the Kotkaniemi thread and it was moved to the Domi thread... I was not talking about Domi though.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
People expecting 90 pts out of Domi are just being unrealistic. I think most would be happy with around 60 pts considering everything else he brings. I'm not saying he can't produce more but watching him play, I have no doubts hes much more than a 45 point guy.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
People expecting 90 pts out of Domi are just being unrealistic. I think most would be happy with around 60 pts considering everything else he brings. I'm not saying he can't produce more but watching him play, I have no doubts hes much more than a 45 point guy.

The NHL looks to have changed..they got the goalies smaller now ..more goals are being scored for sure.....many teams are going offensive style(no more grinder).....So the sky might be much higher now for lots of players....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad