Player Discussion Max Domi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Galchenyuk is the better PP scorer, Pacioretty is the better ES scorer, but the difference is bigger between the Galchenyuk on the PP than Pac at ES.

How? Pacioretty has scored over 20 goals at ES 5 times, galchenyuk has done it once. Pacioretty's career high in PPG is also better than Galchenyuk's.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I love everything about his game. He's so talented but he keeps his game simple (which wingers love in a center, they can read him and get in position for a pass), he's super patient with the puck and always makes the right play. On top of that he skates really well and has good hands so he's also good on zone entries/the PP. He has a positive impact on various aspects of the game. Love, love, love him.
Love him alot too... quick hands, quick feet and thinks the game at a very high level... And so much smarter than Galchenyuk, night and day...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Domi sucked so much at center last year with Arizona they switched him to wing. He sure as hell doesn't suck for us.

He also wasn't supposed to be a PP guy, but he looks great there too.

His chemistry with Drouin has got JD going.

Young too. Pretty happy with him. I loved Chucky, but this kid is proving himself here in a big way.

Reactions: Mrb1p

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Galchenyuk is the better PP scorer, Pacioretty is the better ES scorer, but the difference is bigger between the Galchenyuk on the PP than Pac at ES.

No the bigger difference is (peak) Pacioretty's ability to generate shots/chances at 5 on 5. Galchenyuk doesn't have the speed/willingness to shoot to do that. I'd be stunned if Galchenyuk averages 35+ goals/82 games the next 5 years like Pacioretty did in his peak. Just not as good of a goal scorer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Domi sucked so much at center last year with Arizona they switched him to wing. He sure as hell doesn't suck for us.

Young too. Pretty happy with him. I loved Chucky, but this kid is proving himself here in a big way.
Exactly. He was really bad at C last year, Ill wait before I get too excited

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Still early and I’m not ready to eat crow but he has impressed me those first 8 games and I’m actually starting to like the guy.

You're not the only one man, this used to be a dangerous thread to hang out in hahah...

I always believed he was a great pickup that needed a change of scenery to bring his game to the next level. I did not expect him to settle that fast as an important player. Plays with a big heart ... But damn is he flying out there?!

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He’s like a bit of a gally/drouin hybrid. Not as purely skilled as drouin, and not as hard nosed as gally, but he has a beautiful mix of both of those styles that makes him fun to watch
Great call, and I really wanna see those 3 on the same line.

I’m not really surprised that Domi is playing this well, but I am surprised he’s playing this well at center. My biggest hesitancy about the trade was we traded a sniping winger with size for another undersized playmaking winger. But with Domi settling in comfortably at center, man, what a pickup.

Reactions: 26Mats

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Definitely impressed by how hard he competes & how effective he's been at C.
Hope he keeps it up and keeps his head on straight, if so, I'll have a healthy amount of crow to eat which I will down gladly.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Keller sucks this year for Arizona. I think it's more an issue of the team sucking.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think our system helps him play C easier than other systems in the league. I think he's becoming one of my favourite habs. He's cool under pressure distributing the puck, and has a shot at getting 60+ points with the opportunity he's getting on this team. If it is in Montreal that Domi truly meets his potential, he could be a huge part of this franchise going forward.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Domi feeds off the energy of playing in Montreal, he’s a perfect fit for us; he brings a combo of grit, leadership, toughness, skill, and smarts. It’s evident players like playing with him, and he’s able to make them better. Drouin seems really energized and motivated next to him.

Reactions: THE HOFF

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In this context its getting the better end of a trade; acquiring a superior player.

Can't doing "well" be about both teams filling a need and getting a player who performs better than he did with his previous team? If a team fills a glaring need, should we really be concerned how well an outgoing player may do? In the grand scheme, isn't it all about improving your team?

You're very rarely going to see an Erat for Forsberg blunder -- most cases involve giving up an asset that a team values.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He could play center for us, management just didn't want to.
The first mistake was the extension to DD. Once that was made, well they sealed Galch's fate.
He was being used on the wing in junior and doing well. We had Plek-DD-Eller, none of which could be converted into a winger. You really need to ask why?..How's this even still a question for some?
For the first four years, they moved him there from time to time for short spans just to say they did it. Good or bad, he'd always be put back on the wing because when you looked at the entire roster, that is where he best fit.
We tried. We moved Eller to the wing. Big fail. We did the same with DD. Big fail. Plekanec, well obviously we were not going to move him there.
And you know after that they just refused to have him play center. It was too late. They just spent 4 years using him on the wing, it would be quite stupid and silly to now move him to center. So they came up with crap excuses.
They went as far as to use J.Drouin over him at center and you are not going to argue with me that JD was a better pick to play center.
But if you take his time spent at center, he actually produced quite well and better than on the wing. So this idea that he just couldn't play center, that he was bad there, is pure BS that some have swallowed up without thought.
You actually believe this crap? They couldn’t roll four lines? They jus played him there at times to say they did? Come on!

Reactions: Acadien86

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Remains to be seen if Domi > Galchenyuk, doesn't it? The Weber trade looked like a sure win when the Habs won the October Cup in 2016 and Subban wasn't at full speed. Some fans are right to be doubtful, the Habs weren't expected to be this hot!

I think most people knew, the start notwithstanding, that however the Weber trade felt in year 1, it would very likely get worse and worse as Weber aged out of his "prime years". In this case, we got a younger, cheaper asset. He doesn't even necessarily have to be better than Galchenyuk to justify the deal. He's a better fit, plays a better 200 ft game and already has more trust from this coaching staff than Galchenyuk had from either of the staffs he played under.

If I had to guess, the rest of the way I'd say Galchenyuk has more points than Domi, definitely more goals and I don't care! Great trade. Domi can actually generate at 5 on 5 thanks to his speed.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You actually believe this crap? They couldn’t roll four lines? They jus played him there at times to say they did? Come on!
No they couldn't roll four lines. It would have been a waste of Eller, DD or Galch to use them on the 4th line. Galch was one of our better wingers and best prospects, they wanted him to develop there instead of creating a hole on the wing and pointlessly move one of those guys to the 4th line.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Can't doing "well" be about both teams filling a need and getting a player who performs better than he did with his previous team? If a team fills a glaring need, should we really be concerned how well an outgoing player may do? In the grand scheme, isn't it all about improving your team?

You're very rarely going to see an Erat for Forsberg blunder -- most cases involve giving up an asset that a team values.
I think that if Domi becomes a better player for us than Galchenyuk ever was, the it's a win no matter how well chucky does wherever he ends up.

So far i think Domi has better vision, work ethic, speed and iq than Chucky who has the better hands and shot, if he can hit the net with it.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I like Domi on this team far better than I ever liked AG on this team. I think AG could go either way in Arizona but I don't think he was going anywhere in Montreal.
Very good trade for Montreal. We'll see if it turns out to be a good trade for Arizona too.

Reactions: THE HOFF

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No they couldn't roll four lines. It would have been a waste of Eller, DD or Galch to use them on the 4th line. Galch was one of our better wingers and best prospects, they wanted him to develop there instead of creating a hole on the wing and pointlessly move one of those guys to the 4th line.

Galchenyuk became the #1C while still 21, possibly a year too late, but not disastrous. Once installed, he produced at a high level, top 10 in the league. Even after he got hurt, and came back early, the coach who supposedly hated him kept him on centering our two best wingers. Go back to the last game Té Rien coached and you'll see I'm right.

Then Chu Rien came in and had to make a mark. He decided to throw Chucky under the bus, and MB went along.

Note that the entire time Té Rien was in charge he maintained that the goal was to have Chucky be the center, and he kept his word.

The shiny new coach decided otherwise the day he came in, and the GM did like he does with every other shiny new toy, which is give it undue reverence. The narrative changed from Julien's arrival, and Chucky was no longer seen as a center.

None of this means that Galchenyuk is a strong 2-way player, he isn't. But he could be sheltered a little playing alongside responsible wingers and with other better defensive centers already on the team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Galchenyuk became the #1C while still 21, possibly a year too late, but not disastrous. Once installed, he produced at a high level, top 10 in the league. Even after he got hurt, and came back early, the coach who supposedly hated him kept him on centering our two best wingers. Go back to the last game Té Rien coached and you'll see I'm right.

Then Chu Rien came in and had to make a mark. He decided to throw Chucky under the bus, and MB went along.

Note that the entire time Té Rien was in charge he maintained that the goal was to have Chucky be the center, and he kept his word.

The shiny new coach decided otherwise the day he came in, and the GM did like he does with every other shiny new toy, which is give it undue reverence. The narrative changed from Julien's arrival, and Chucky was no longer seen as a center.

None of this means that Galchenyuk is a strong 2-way player, he isn't. But he could be sheltered a little playing alongside responsible wingers and with other better defensive centers already on the team.

They only used Galchenyuk at center when they had no other option. They used freaking DD for 4 years instead of him. Ya, Therrien finally moved him there, but he got fired and as you said Julien moved Galch back to the wing.
If, as an organization, your plan is to use a certain player at center. You don't wait 5 years to do it and you definitely don't let your coach, new or not, use Paul freaking Byron at center over him.

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad