Player Discussion Max Domi - Maximus Dominatus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. If it did, Pacioretty would be a regular 50 goals scorer, as "He scored 39 in 72 games playing with Desharnais and Bournival!".

Chemestry, matchups and responsibilities all go hand in hand. People underestimate how great a season Shaw had and how he actually helped Domi almost as much as the other way around, too.
Max is not the player he used to be and you just cherry picked a single example. I can do the same with JT. Where the hell are Moulson and Okposo now and why is JT suddenly the league's second best scorer now that he's with Marner?

Sure, chemistry plays it's part but you can't honestly believe that Domi wouldn't be able to produce more if he had more help on his line.

Shaw is fine, dont get me wrong. I like the combo. It's still pretty clear that Domi could put up bigger numbers with Ovi

Reactions: Chr1s97

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think pegging him to repeat is really that optimistic. Let's look at some facts from last season.

-Domi had strictly 2nd and 3rd line wingers to work with.
-This was his first year as a full-time center.
-Wasn't a fixture on the 1st PP unit until nearly the midway point of the season.
-Habs had second worst PP in the league.

It's not guaranteed he'll repeat but those indicators would tell you there's at least good odds. If say, someone like Tatar or Shaw has a down year, that'll obviously affect his numbers but if the forwards maintain their usual level of production or close to, I don't see why it's seen as a stretch. Not to mention the possibility the PP improves and a skilled linemate like Suzuki potentially adding to the group somewhere down the line.

The last four players who were able to do two 70+ points seasons in a row for us were Muller, Bellows, Recchi and Damphousse. I think some people around here don't realize how hard it is to do 70+ points on a regular basis. Considering his credentials it's more likely Domi will settle in as a 60 points player doing 70 points here and there than as a regular 70+ points player. He could be a regular 70 points player but it remains to be seen. I would not say it's necessarily optimistic to say he will be but it's certainly not proven at this point that he will be.

Last edited:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The last four players who were able to do two 70+ points seasons in a row for us were Muller, Bellows, Recchi and Damphousse. I think some people around here don't realize how hard it is to do 70+ points on a regular basis. Considering his credentials it's more likely Domi will settle in as a 60 points player doing 70 points here and there than as a regular 70+ points player. I could be a regular 70 points player but it remains to be seen. I would not say it's necessarily optimistic to say he will be but it's certainly not proven at this point that he will be.

My point, exactly.
I'm not saying Domi is never going to have another 70 points season again in his career. What I'm saying is simply that more likely than not, most of the time, he's going to get around 60 points per year, with the odd 70-75 points season here and there.

I also think people underestimate how rare it is for a player to be a consistent 70 points threat in this league.

Reactions: DangerDave

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The last four players who were able to do two 70+ points seasons in a row for us were Muller, Bellows, Recchi and Damphousse. I think some people around here don't realize how hard it is to do 70+ points on a regular basis. Considering his credentials it's more likely Domi will settle in as a 60 points player doing 70 points here and there than as a regular 70+ points player. I could be a regular 70 points player but it remains to be seen. I would not say it's necessarily optimistic to say he will be but it's certainly not proven at this point that he will be.
I don't deny it's been a while but you're pulling up examples from 20+ years ago? I don't think you realize 70pts isn't what it used to be, if scoring across the league is believed to remain. 55 players scored 70 or more this season, over 60 paced for it or more. 70 points is really more like the new 60pt threshold now.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't deny it's been a while but you're pulling up examples from 20+ years ago? I don't think you realize 70pts isn't what it used to be, if scoring across the league is believed to remain. 55 players scored 70 or more this season, over 60 paced for it or more. 70 points is really more like the new 60pt threshold now.

Based on a two years sample with elevated scoring?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Based on a two years sample with elevated scoring?
That's kinda the point. If scoring stays the same as it's been in these past years, I don't see why it's unrealistic to think he'd repeat. Unless of course you think scoring will drop off, but that's another matter.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Take a chance and extend now for potentially cheaper?

Or do we extend him for more (or on the other hand, less) if he comes even close to repeating this season?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It sounds like he really means what he is saying but even if he is trolling Leafs fans I still like his loyalty.
I thought Tie would have some kind of comeback, but not much he can really say I guess...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He made the Habs a lot more fun this past season. I hope he continues producing at this pace.
Like not a simple wonder season. I, you, he, she, we, they hope. It’s just him in overall and in general. Surprised us and ourselves. Like in everything. Surprising us and ourselves next too?

I sincerely think Max Domi, in a normal season, is a 55-65 points player. I see LOADS of similarity between him and Brayden Schenn to be honest. Definitely a top-6 player, but not the regular, year in year out 70-75 points threat many here expect him to be.

We won that trade big time, but pegging him in for 70 points next season is a bit optimistic.

My point, exactly.
I'm not saying Domi is never going to have another 70 points season again in his career. What I'm saying is simply that more likely than not, most of the time, he's going to get around 60 points per year, with the odd 70-75 points season here and there.

I also think people underestimate how rare it is for a player to be a consistent 70 points threat in this league.
My point, exactly.

My first concern was had we won the trade? The rest is history you know... I’ll let my imagination not imagining his future numbers. More it’s imprevisible more it’s cool. He’s here to stay. That’s his new home. That’s his new family. That’s his new paradise. That’s his new town. That’s his new ect...

He's young, fast, skilled, good vision, good shot, good shiftiness, determined/plays with jam. With the right linemates I could see him hitting 80.

Let's go out and load up on good ufa forwards, trade the middle 6 vets that they replace for picks, and wait for kk, Poehling, and Suzuki to develop. Then we'll have a plethora of good forwards up and down the top 9 for him to play with.
If the Habs are convinced that with only Domi it’s enough. Like to lead by himself our offensive. Up to then we’re in a big trouble.

I don't think pegging him to repeat is really that optimistic. Let's look at some facts from last season.

-Domi had strictly 2nd and 3rd line wingers to work with.
-This was his first year as a full-time center.
-Wasn't a fixture on the 1st PP unit until nearly the midway point of the season.
-Habs had second worst PP in the league.

It's not guaranteed he'll repeat but those indicators would tell you there's at least good odds. Not to mention the possibility the PP improves and a skilled linemate like Suzuki potentially adding to the group somewhere down the line.
It deserves a massive respect to him. It didn’t prevent himself to put this numbers. It didn’t prevent himself to perform at a higher level. He exceeded his expectations. He exceeded our expectations. He exceeded their expectations. Like continue now to exceeding it permanently...

It seem the Habs management have a self imposed cap on the amount of players who simply “get” what it means to play for the Habs and embrace the city and all it’s pressures.
That’s their #1 criteria...

You just have to look and see who his linemates were this season. On left wing Drouin, Tatar, Lehkonen and on right wing Shaw. I forget who replaced Shaw when he was out. Tatar only played there for a few weeks, Drouin for half the season and Domi was carrying him. You put an offensively gifted winger on Domi's left and I could see Max hitting 80 even 90 points. If he stays healthy, 70 points is a baseline.
Max makes them more usefully useful than they were. Max makes them more worthy worth then they were. Playing on a tough position. Imagine with a powerful PP and a powerhouse roster what numbers going or gonna to be in his possession.

The last four players who were able to do two 70+ points seasons in a row for us were Muller, Bellows, Recchi and Damphousse. I think some people around here don't realize how hard it is to do 70+ points on a regular basis. Considering his credentials it's more likely Domi will settle in as a 60 points player doing 70 points here and there than as a regular 70+ points player. He could be a regular 70 points player but it remains to be seen. I would not say it's necessarily optimistic to say he will be but it's certainly not proven at this point that he will be.
To have it those numbers of production in Montreal is extremely harder. To have it consecutively is more extremely harder.

Take a chance and extend now for potentially cheaper?

Or do we extend him for more (or on the other hand, less) if he comes even close to repeating this season?
Wait and then extend Domi. He likes when he’s not in his comfort zone. He dislikes when he’s in his comfort zone. He’ll not be distracted by his future negotiation. That’s in his nature. To be and being in this market he’s already richer. It means many things. He worths every money of the habsworld. They’ll find together a consensus in time. I’ve no worry and worries in the Domi’s case.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Max Domi chirping Leafs fans, saying ACC was loudest he's ever heard it at Raptors game 6, yet still isn't as loud as the Bell Center on a Tuesday.

LMAO Tie has to be so proud! He did an outstanding job as a father. Seriously!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Like not a simple wonder season. I, you, he, she, we, they hope. It’s just him in overall and in general. Surprised us and ourselves. Like in everything. Surprising us and ourselves next too?

My first concern was had we won the trade? The rest is history you know... I’ll let my imagination not imagining his future numbers. More it’s imprevisible more it’s cool. He’s here to stay. That’s his new home. That’s his new family. That’s his new paradise. That’s his new town. That’s his new ect...

If the Habs are convinced that with only Domi it’s enough. Like to lead by himself our offensive. Up to then we’re in a big trouble.

It deserves a massive respect to him. It didn’t prevent himself to put this numbers. It didn’t prevent himself to perform at a higher level. He exceeded his expectations. He exceeded our expectations. He exceeded their expectations. Like continue now to exceeding it permanently...

That’s their #1 criteria...

Max makes them more usefully useful than they were. Max makes them more worthy worth then they were. Playing on a tough position. Imagine with a powerful PP and a powerhouse roster what numbers going or gonna to be in his possession.

To have it those numbers of production in Montreal is extremely harder. To have it consecutively is more extremely harder.

Wait and then extend Domi. He likes when he’s not in his comfort zone. He dislikes when he’s in his comfort zone. He’ll not be distracted by his future negotiation. That’s in his nature. To be and being in this market he’s already richer. It means many things. He worths every money of the habsworld. They’ll find together a consensus in time. I’ve no worry and worries in the Domi’s case.

I don't think anyone's convinced Domi by himself can lead the team. He's a good player. I'm not convinced this past season was an aberration. He could even have higher point totals in the future. Especially if he starts playing with better offensive players.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't think anyone's convinced Domi by himself can lead the team. He's a good player. I'm not convinced this past season was an aberration. He could even have higher point totals in the future. Especially if he starts playing with better offensive players.

yeah I don't think he's a potential superstar though a Marchand like progression might not be out of the question. I just really don't think this season was some fluke. AZ is/was a dumpster fire. Kid was a highly touted prospect for a reason. Sure he could have a season or two where he scores less than 70. Perfectly reasonable and wouldn't be the end of the world. My hunch is though he gets better.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If Domi keeps posting 70 points year in and year out, it'll be a pleasant surprise to me and I'll be more than happy to eat crow. It would be ridiculous to expect him to progress like Marchand, though. Domi was never meant to be that dominant of a player to begin with.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Domi keeps posting 70 points year in and year out, it'll be a pleasant surprise to me and I'll be more than happy to eat crow. It would be ridiculous to expect him to progress like Marchand, though. Domi was never meant to be that dominant of a player to begin with.

I just think Domi's a damn good player. Hard to know how many points he'd put up if he were playing with Pasternak and Bergeron. But it would be a lot.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I'm not expecting it. Just seeing it as a possibility. Domi was drafted much higher than Marchand so I'm a bit confused as to your ceiling comparison. Look at Marchand's stats. Not until 3 seasons ago did Marchand start producing like a superstar. Before that he never cracked 70. So Marchand wasn't even supposed to evolve into Marchand.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

I just think Domi's a damn good player. Hard to know how many points he'd put up if he were playing with Pasternak and Bergeron. But it would be a lot.

Max Domi chirping Leafs fans, saying ACC was loudest he's ever heard it at Raptors game 6, yet still isn't as loud as the Bell Center on a Tuesday.

You too. Me too. Everybody too. And isn’t that bad. He’s what he’s. What’s he’ve done deservedly deserve tons of applauds tho.

Max Domi is a Montrealer for life. Max Domi isn’t a Torontonian anymore.

It sounds like he really means what he is saying but even if he is trolling Leafs fans I still like his loyalty.
It comes from the deeper of his heart. It’s 1909% sincere. Representing our town with proudness.

He should have been in Slovakia playing for team Canada.
He should’ve been in the PO playing for the Team Canadiens...

yeah I don't think he's a potential superstar though a Marchand like progression might not be out of the question. I just really don't think this season was some fluke. AZ is/was a dumpster fire. Kid was a highly touted prospect for a reason. Sure he could have a season or two where he scores less than 70. Perfectly reasonable and wouldn't be the end of the world. My hunch is though he gets better.

I'm not expecting it. Just seeing it as a possibility. Domi was drafted much higher than Marchand so I'm a bit confused as to your ceiling comparison. Look at Marchand's stats. Not until 3 seasons ago did Marchand start producing like a superstar. Before that he never cracked 70. So Marchand wasn't even supposed to evolve into Marchand.
If Domi thinks addictively on his total points. Then it’ll be a problem... Like remain as yourself MD. Don’t be another type of player you aren’t.

Him too is eating crow. Not just us as fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad