Value of: Max Domi in a hockey trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As an outsider, I have to ask, how in the world did you come to the conclusion that Domi doesn't fit in with the Habs long-term? I see a guy who plays engage, uptempo hockey most of the time, who has recovered from the wrist injury that plagued him in Arizona and has embraced his role in the middle. He's the sort of guy the Habs should be building around. Like... was not expecting to see this sort of thread but it's HF were odd things sometimes wind up out in public view.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
You think Matthews is a mis-cast center with personality and discipline problems? Huh, i've read a lot of negative stuff about him on here, but i'll give it to ya...this is a new one.:laugh:

EDIT: Just some of the knocks i've read on here from Habs fans about Domi...
Glad to be of service)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think Max domi doesn't fit well in the long term vision of Montreal. It's risky to move a player like him, but I could see the canadiens move him in a hockey trade 1 vs 1 probably come draft day. What would you offer for Max domi? ONLY Propose 1 on 1 trades, preferably for a LD.

Does Montreal's vision not include good players? Montreal is completely full of holes and their future is built on the backs of undrafted players still in the CHL and midget AAA. Why even bother trading him for a equivalent player 1 for 1 when the team is going to look completely different in 5 years? If Montreal drafts a bunch of centres then put Domi on wing. If they draft a bunch of wingers play him at 2C. If they draft a bunch of defenders then play him at C or W. Trading a good 24 year old player when you should be rebuilding makes zero sense.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Does Montreal's vision not include good players? Montreal is completely full of holes and their future is built on the backs of undrafted players still in the CHL and midget AAA. Why even bother trading him for a equivalent player 1 for 1 when the team is going to look completely different in 5 years? If Montreal drafts a bunch of centres then put Domi on wing. If they draft a bunch of wingers play him at 2C. If they draft a bunch of defenders then play him at C or W. Trading a good 24 year old player when you should be rebuilding makes zero sense.

I can't believe i am about to agree with a Leaf fan..... but this is pretty much the situation. Domi's heart and grit makes him necessary to the Habs either as a winger or C. The fact that Suzuki has blossomed is not sleight on Domi.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
As an outsider, I have to ask, how in the world did you come to the conclusion that Domi doesn't fit in with the Habs long-term?

Doesn't fit is the wrong description. I'd call him potentially redundant, given the makeup of our forward group.

I see a guy who plays engage, uptempo hockey most of the time, who has recovered from the wrist injury that plagued him in Arizona and has embraced his role in the middle.

All that is true. That's why some fans are considering moving him for a quality return mentioned in this thread. Not to dump him.

He's the sort of guy the Habs should be building around.

They very well might. But left wing is our strongest position, especially if we decide to keep Tatar.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
i love Domi but we have pressing needs. With Suzuki doing a great job at center, I see Domi as an expandeable lw.
Again it will depend on the direction this team takes. If we sell assets like Tatar for picks and prospects, Domi is a keeper. If we keep gunning for playoffs spot, we will need to give a quality asset to get a solid lhd.
I’d trade Tatar. Great player, but his value will never be higher than right now.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Love Domi’s heart and grit. Leafs can use some of this. Unfortunately, Leafs cannot afford him.

Habs should keep him and tank for 2-3 years to draft some top end talent. The Leafs were in a similar position with Kadri until they tanked and did a full rebuild.

Imagine adding or drafting a legit 1c and 1st line winger with the Habs current core?

Reactions: Sam Dynamite

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Love Domi’s heart and grit. Leafs can use some of this. Unfortunately, Leafs cannot afford him.

Habs should keep him and tank for 2-3 years to draft some top end talent. The Leafs were in a similar position with Kadri until they tanked and did a full rebuild.

Imagine adding or drafting a legit 1c and 1st line winger with the Habs current core?
The Habs really don't need to tank for 2-3 years. If they can luck out and add Lafreniere to a forward core that already has Suzuki/Kotka/Caufield/Domi/Drouin as U-25 forward with Tatar, Danault and Gallagher under 30, they would be set offensively. The Habs are set in goal with Price now and Primeau later. The d-core could use a bit of work but we're adding Romanov so that helps. The point is that we're not that far out.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
LOL, i am sure you would. Nice touch throwing in the guy with the french last name as a sweetener. ;)
Pelletier is a very legit prospect, but the fact that hes from QC cant hurt too much. Second best forward in the q this season behind lafreniere.

Hanifin is a former 4th overall and still very young. Sounds to me exactly what people in the thread were asking for!

Reactions: Sam Dynamite

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I think Max domi doesn't fit well in the long term vision of Montreal. It's risky to move a player like him, but I could see the canadiens move him in a hockey trade 1 vs 1 probably come draft day. What would you offer for Max domi? ONLY Propose 1 on 1 trades, preferably for a LD.
I’m know Habs fans won’t like it, the obvious deal would be Domi for Vlasic (with $1m retained). The hometown kid returns to Montreal and is reunited with Weber (they’ve been great together internationally). Montreal was heavily scouting Vlasic earlier this season and the Sharks beat writer, Kevin Kurz, recently revealed that Vlasic was willing to waive to go to Montreal.

The Sharks need to get younger and add to their top-6. Domi would bring an edge to that they're missing.

I’m sure everyone will blast this idea and say that it’s stupid, and that Vlasic is too old, and is declining, and is too expensive, etc. Doesn’t it feel like something Marc Bergevin would do?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Pelletier is a very legit prospect, but the fact that hes from QC cant hurt too much. Second best forward in the q this season behind lafreniere.

Hanifin is a former 4th overall and still very young. Sounds to me exactly what people in the thread were asking for!

Hanifin has been very disappointing and his defensive play is very concerning. Despite the OP's supposition, Domi IS in the Habs longterm plans. It doesn't make sense to trade him at all and Hanifin doesn't move the needle.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Doesn't fit is the wrong description. I'd call him potentially redundant, given the makeup of our forward group.

All that is true. That's why some fans are considering moving him for a quality return mentioned in this thread. Not to dump him.

They very well might. But left wing is our strongest position, especially if we decide to keep Tatar.

Redundant? Who plays his style of hockey right now on the Habs?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Domi for Galchenyuk. ;)

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The Sharks need to get younger and add to their top-6. Domi would bring an edge to that they're missing.
And the Habs need to get older and more expensive?

You cannot be serious with your proposal.

Doesn’t it feel like something Marc Bergevin would do?

Based on what exactly? He's been a consistently savvy trader throughout his tenure in Montreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aldo Montoya

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I’m know Habs fans won’t like it, the obvious deal would be Domi for Vlasic (with $1m retained). The hometown kid returns to Montreal and is reunited with Weber (they’ve been great together internationally). Montreal was heavily scouting Vlasic earlier this season and the Sharks beat writer, Kevin Kurz, recently revealed that Vlasic was willing to waive to go to Montreal.

I’m sure everyone will blast this idea and say that it’s stupid, and that Vlasic is too old, and is declining, and is too expensive, etc. Doesn’t it feel like something Marc Bergevin would do?
This make zero sense, Vlasic is not worth Domi at all. Even Bergevin is not this dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad