Value of: Max Domi in a hockey trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
How does he not fit long term? He brings something the Habs have been needing for a long time now, a forward that has talent, can produce and has grit. He is not going anywhere any time soon.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm curious....how does your best center at the age of 24 not fit long term?

Read the Habs forum thread on Domi, lots of fans seem frustrated with him this year. IMO their frustration is misplaced, Domi is playing like his career average would say.....expecting him to repeat last years outlier performance would be a mistake. If you expect 50-60 points per year you’ll be happy, if you’re expecting a 70+ point guy you’re going to be disappointed. Personally I accept what his peak is and like him as a player I would definitely trade for him as a Jets fan......but discussing returns on players is generally a waste of time here.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Read the Habs forum thread on Domi, lots of fans seem frustrated with him this year. IMO their frustration is misplaced, Domi is playing like his career average would say.....expecting him to repeat last years outlier performance would be a mistake. If you expect 50-60 points per year you’ll be happy, if you’re expecting a 70+ point guy you’re going to be disappointed. Personally I accept what his peak is and like him as a player I would definitely trade for him as a Jets fan......but discussing returns on players is generally a waste of time here.
Good post...and to the bolded? ya, agreed.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Max felt the pressure this year in what is essentially a contract year. He's also not had chemistry with anyone this year not named Drouin who's been hurt for 2 months now, after having great chemistry with Shaw last year. The Habs would be wise to lock Domi up at what should be a very reasonable price. A 5 year deal for around 6M per season would make him a bargain going forward.

Sam Dynamite

Apr 23, 2019
In what way does he not fit? He’s the perfect age. He never takes a shift off. He loves playing in Montreal. He fits just fine[/QUO
I know a 24 years old center seems a good fit, but if you look on a broader level his personality, his individual style of play, his lack of discipline are aspects that doesn't fit the canadiens. Like it or not Canadiens love disciplined, team player with smaller egos. I think this is were it doesn't fit.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
How does he not fit long term? He brings something the Habs have been needing for a long time now, a forward that has talent, can produce and has grit. He is not going anywhere any time soon.
Thank for claryfing that, Marc.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Max Domi is not a center. Well, he is, in a sense that David Desharnais was a center. Because that's the role he's able to perform if you use him at that position.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

What?

He's fit in culture-wise in the room. He doesn't have an individualistic style of play

Apart from discipline issues (which honestly isn't that big a deal), I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think Max felt the pressure this year in what is essentially a contract year. He's also not had chemistry with anyone this year not named Drouin who's been hurt for 2 months now, after having great chemistry with Shaw last year. The Habs would be wise to lock Domi up at what should be a very reasonable price. A 5 year deal for around 6M per season would make him a bargain going forward.

i love Domi but we have pressing needs. With Suzuki doing a great job at center, I see Domi as an expandeable lw.
Again it will depend on the direction this team takes. If we sell assets like Tatar for picks and prospects, Domi is a keeper. If we keep gunning for playoffs spot, we will need to give a quality asset to get a solid lhd.

Reactions: Archijerej

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I think Max domi doesn't fit well in the long term vision of Montreal. It's risky to move a player like him, but I could see the canadiens move him in a hockey trade 1 vs 1 probably come draft day. What would you offer for Max domi? ONLY Propose 1 on 1 trades, preferably for a LD.
here we go again. not available

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I’m guessing his numbers fell off a cliff yet nothing will be good enough because he is Way better than the numbers show. It’s tough to trade a guy with no contract, I’m going to say a second rounder and a B prospect
his numbers didn't fall off a cliff, he's been a victim of claude's musical chairs, shaw being traded and drouin being injured for 30 games

Reactions: Qwijibo

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
his numbers didn't fall off a cliff, he's been a victim of claude's musical chairs, shaw being traded and drouin being injured for 30 games

Right. Also, while he got lucky last year, he's been pretty unlucky this year.

And even with that, he's still producing at a high-end second line rate. Like, even the numbers show that he's worth more than a 2nd and B prospect.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Max Domi is not a center. Well, he is, in a sense that David Desharnais was a center. Because that's the role he's able to perform if you use him at that position.
Please don't take this as trolling, it isn't. But Habs fans have been calling him a center for 2+ years. That's what i was commenting on.

Reactions: Gravity

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I agree with the premise that Domi might not be a fit with the Habs long term.

Suzuki has taken over the 2nd line C position and the Habs seem really invested in his development. Since then, Domi played a game or two at LW, then was moved to 3rd line C. Given his role as a scoring forward, I don't know if he's a great fit on a 3rd line. If he can transition back to wing, I'd be happy to keep him as a top-6 winger, but I think a one-for-one hockey trade is a good option to explore with him in case there is a better fit.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Please don't take this as trolling, it isn't. But Habs fans have been calling him a center for 2+ years. That's what i was commenting on.
No hard feelings.

Not to pass on a good opportunity to troll the Leafs though, I think Auston Matthews falls into the same category in terms of role.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Domi is a solid 2nd line center/winger

I would expect that 70+ points is the outlier in his career and that he will hover in 45-55 point range for his career.

Not bad by any stretch.

If I'm the Habs, I keep him tied up long term

Reactions: Chainshot

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
No hard feelings.

Not to pass on a good opportunity to troll the Leafs though, I think Auston Matthews falls into the same category in terms of role.
You think Matthews is a mis-cast center with personality and discipline problems? Huh, i've read a lot of negative stuff about him on here, but i'll give it to ya...this is a new one.:laugh:

EDIT: Just some of the knocks i've read on here from Habs fans about Domi...

Reactions: kevrondl

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Domi is a solid 2nd line center/winger

I would expect that 70+ points is the outlier in his career and that he will hover in 45-55 point range for his career.

Not bad by any stretch.

If I'm the Habs, I keep him tied up long term
I think some of the concern lies in his RFA contract, Domi will be using that 70+ point season to negotiate.

Reactions: Spazkat and zeeto

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
I’m guessing his numbers fell off a cliff yet nothing will be good enough because he is Way better than the numbers show. It’s tough to trade a guy with no contract, I’m going to say a second rounder and a B prospect

oh my that is awful. 2nd and b prospect lol

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
You think Matthews is a mis-cast center with personality and discipline problems? Huh, i've read a lot of negative stuff about him on here, but i'll give it to ya...this is a new one.:laugh:

That is a total joke but why is the guy so inconsistent. I am a Habs fan but live in Toronto so I happen to catch a few games with friends since they are loaded and always buy tickets. The guy seems like a ghost on some games. I feel like he he were more consistent he could easily pass 110+ points.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think Max domi doesn't fit well in the long term vision of Montreal. It's risky to move a player like him, but I could see the canadiens move him in a hockey trade 1 vs 1 probably come draft day. What would you offer for Max domi? ONLY Propose 1 on 1 trades, preferably for a LD.

Habs can capitolize on a down season by signing him longterm with a lower caphit. Trading him is the worst thing they can do.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Domi definitely fits in long term, you can tell from the way he plays that he likes being in Montreal. That being said he has struggled this year compared to what he did last year, but his struggles aren’t entirely his fault. The player that he had the most chemistry with, Drouin, has been injured since the middle of November, and the other one, Shaw, was traded. He hasn’t really had the opportunity to play with wingers that are known offensive producers this season much. I think Drouin coming back soon will have a good impact on Domi.

There certainly is no rush to ship him out of town. Yes he probably isn’t an every season 70-75 point player but a guy who averages 55-60 points and plays with intensity like he does is not someone you want less of in your lineup.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The only way Domi gets traded is if he asks for a trade out of Montreal. Has he asked to be traded? no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad