Confirmed with Link: Max Domi (50%) and 2024 sixth-round pick to FLA for T. Inamoto; FLA trades Domi (25%) to CAR for E. Korchkov; CBJ trade Inamoto to CAR for A. Hreschuk

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
What don't you understand? Once you're past the first round, chances of making the NHL all end up about the same in all rounds after.
Do I really need to do this again?

Boone Jenner, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Sean Kuraly, Nyquist, Robinson, Texier, Gavrikov, Peeke, Elvis, Korpisalo are just the current players on the roster that weren't first round picks.

And Columbus in general is starting to have a pretty good record of developing kids outside the first.

Your chances of making the NHL, period, like at all, no matter where you were drafted, is pretty low. Only like 25-35% of first rounders actually stick and have actual careers. Your obsession with first rounders is a bit absurd.

Please explain how it's more beneficial to the team to have a player who we aren't going to re-sign, isn't going to help with a playoff push and in fact would only help make our draft pick worse and a 6th is more valuable than a 19 year old college kid former 3 rounder who still has a good 3-5 years of development before we can evenly properly judge him?

Simply saying picking outside the first is worthless isn't valid. Boone Jenner was the first pick of the 2nd round. Texier was taken in a similar spot to where we'll be picking this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Please feel free to enlighten us as to what additional players could be added with that $11m such that we would be competitive this year without losing those players we need to resign this year.

And when I say "what additional players", I mean specific examples. I want names named. Actual hockey players who were actually available and could be actually acquired that would deliver actual results. With defensible rationales as to why those players would choose Columbus and not whatever other destination they went with.

I am 100% ok not spending to the cap this year , but the one person I would like to have signed was Erik Gudbranson. He signed a 1 year x $1.95 million contract with the Flames. We obviously could have afforded him, he would have given us some veteran leadership on the back end, he would have made us tougher, etc. I fully expected our inexperienced defensive guys to be bad. We could have flipped Gudbranson at the deadline.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
watched Canes intermission show just now

Canes GM Don Waddell said this deal fell apart around noon then "gained traction" again 30 minutes before the deadline

sounds Jarmo is included in the group disappointed with the return

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Please feel free to enlighten us as to what additional players could be added with that $11m such that we would be competitive this year without losing those players we need to resign this year.

And when I say "what additional players", I mean specific examples. I want names named. Actual hockey players who were actually available and could be actually acquired that would deliver actual results. With defensible rationales as to why those players would choose Columbus and not whatever other destination they went with.
If the team was committed to winning (even if the future) perhaps they could have acted like Florida did in our Domi dump and spend some money for future picks or prospects.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Really, you're going to compare this year to the organizations spending habits as a whole? Why does spending to the cap every year matter? I mean I think you can be realistic and admit that you along with everyone else knew this was going to be a down year, a rebuild year, a non-playoff year. What's the point of spending just to spend. Buying UFAs his year would have done nothing but spend money. Foolish. I realize I'm coming in late on this but I'm pretty certain my thought isn't misdirected. This team has not skimped on spending money when it was in a position to spend money. Period

Simply calling it (Domi trade) as I saw it - all the trade did was saved a few bucks for the owners with a very small return.
Others were saying how our owners have spent plenty. I just presented a fact.

Can you show me over the last 5,7,10, 20 yers how much the CBJ have spent compared to other franchises to show me they have spent enough to be competitive?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Simply calling it (Domi trade) as I saw it - all the trade did was saved a few bucks for the owners with a very small return.

Can you show me over the last 5,7,10, 20 yers how much the CBJ have spent compared to other franchises to show me they have spent enough to be competitive?
Wait, wait! I know what goes here. I ask you to don’t get analysis instead because yo ur e the one asserting the point and no one actually does it and we just keep grousing at each other without unmoving the discussion along.

What do I win?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If the team was committed to winning (even if the future) perhaps they could have acted like Florida did in our Domi dump and spend some money for future picks or prospects.
Reiterating:
I want names named. Actual hockey players who were actually available and could be actually acquired that would deliver actual results. With defensible rationales as to why those players would choose Columbus and not whatever other destination they went with.
Don't try and do this lazy handwaving "they could have done so-and-so". I want names. Actual data, not vague speculation. If you're going to make this assertion, give us information and scenarios that show conclusively that it was actually doable.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

It was a lackluster trade for a lackluster player returning a lackluster asset. We turned an evaporating square peg into something that might help the future. If you remove the specifics that said we'd get a draft pick in any given round, that's exactly what everyone was thinking would happen.

The player we got in return may actually be just as good as the 2nd in this year's draft that many were expecting. Instead of getting a low 2nd in a weak draft, we know precisely who and what we got - we know the exact value of the acquired asset. Am I excited about a smallish defenseman with debatable NHL potential? Not so much. Would I have been excited about the number 58 pick in this year's draft? Not so much.

The only part arguable as some kind of egregious misstep is us sending a 6th to FLA. That, to me, is bizarre as it indicates the "help" was given to us, rather than CAR. It's mind-blowing to me that we didn't insist on CAR paying FLA for the cap management rather than us since they got the best player in the deal. That part irks me for sure and, in fact, is the strongest evidence that our goal was, at least in some part, to simply shed salary for the rest of the year.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It was a lackluster trade for a lackluster player returning a lackluster asset. We turned an evaporating square peg into something that might help the future. If you remove the specifics that said we'd get a draft pick in any given round, that's exactly what everyone was thinking would happen.

The player we got in return may actually be just as good as the 2nd in this year's draft that many were expecting. Instead of getting a low 2nd in a weak draft, we know precisely who and what we got - we know the exact value of the acquired asset. Am I excited about a smallish defenseman with debatable NHL potential? Not so much. Would I have been excited about the number 58 pick in this year's draft? Not so much.

The only part arguable as some kind of egregious misstep is us sending a 6th to FLA. That, to me, is bizarre as it indicates the "help" was given to us, rather than CAR. It's mind-blowing to me that we didn't insist on CAR paying FLA for the cap management rather than us since they got the best player in the deal. That part irks me for sure and, in fact, is the strongest evidence that our goal was, at least in some part, to simply shed salary for the rest of the year.
Jarmo has been very good at the trade dead line, so this one hurts. We gave up a good player to get him. Guess Seattle isn't the bunch of dummies we all thought for passing on him after all.
I agree on the 6th round pick.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Reiterating:

Don't try and do this lazy handwaving "they could have done so-and-so". I want names. Actual data, not vague speculation. If you're going to make this assertion, give us information and scenarios that show conclusively that it was actually doable.
Z. Hyman and Danault could have both played in our top 6 (Center). Both UFA and signed last offseason.
Likely Coleman, Granlund and Wennburg would have slotted better in the top 6. All UFA and signed last offseason.

Instead the CBJ allowed a 18 year old rookie to be the second best option to play center on the roster they assembled.

PS - I have no idea why a UFA wouldn't want to sign in Columbus? Maybe a new coach, a bad roster and their unlikely ability to win?

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Z. Hyman and Danault could have both played in our top 6 (Center). Both UFA and signed last offseason.
Likely Coleman, Granlund and Wennburg would have slotted better in the top 6. All UFA and signed last offseason.

Instead the CBJ allowed a 18 year old rookie to be the second best option to play center on the roster they assembled.

PS - I have no idea why a UFA wouldn't want to sign in Columbus? Maybe a new coach, a bad roster and their unlikely ability to win?

So you're just assuming that even if we offered more money that those players would have wanted to sign here?

I hate this line of thinking. We can throw money at whoever, the ball is in their court and maybe Jarmo did and maybe they just didn't want Columbus.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So you're just assuming that even if we offered more money that those players would have wanted to sign here?

I hate this line of thinking. We can throw money at whoever, the ball is in their court and maybe Jarmo did and maybe they just didn't want Columbus.
And then that just leads to half the board complaining that we overpaid for a UFA. And then again in about 3-4 years when we don't have any cap space and can't sign someone or have to trade someone we don't wanna get rid of because we overspent in UFA for the sake of spending.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Zach Hyman is not a center. Blake Coleman is not a center. Mikael Granlund had shown no ability at center prior to this year. Alex Wennberg had been run out of town on a rail just one year prior and was hated by half of this board and we're still paying for that and was resigned at essentially the same rate we'd be paying if we'd just kept him instead of buying him out; are you now claiming that he was never overpaid?

Danault was a desirable target. Would you have paid him more than $5.5m/year from now 'till he's 35 to secure him? Does his addition alone make this team sufficiently competitive and demonstrate "a desire to win"?

And Sillinger was option #3 at C. Options #1 and #2 were Jenner and Roslovic.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Do you have any concept of what a retooling or rebuild entails? You probably loved what Stan Bowman did. He went out and got Fleury and gave big bucks for Jones before the team was ready for the next step. Your plan is basically no plan

Reactions: Xoggz22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Zach Hyman is not a center. Blake Coleman is not a center. Mikael Granlund had shown no ability at center prior to this year. Alex Wennberg had been run out of town on a rail just one year prior and was hated by half of this board and we're still paying for that and was resigned at essentially the same rate we'd be paying if we'd just kept him instead of buying him out; are you now claiming that he was never overpaid?

Danault was a desirable target. Would you have paid him more than $5.5m/year from now 'till he's 35 to secure him? Does his addition alone make this team sufficiently competitive and demonstrate "a desire to win"?

And Sillinger was option #3 at C. Options #1 and #2 were Jenner and Roslovic.
Jenner started like a winger not a center. Options #1 and #2 were Texier and Roslovic.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sorry to jump in, but I would have paid Danault that and more. He'd have us on the edge of the playoffs right now, he's that big of an upgrade. I think he's far from falling off too.

For all we know Jarmo may have offered that too, and Danault was more interested in going to L.A.

There's a lot of really good signings that Jarmo has tried to make over the years. Does anyone remember when we were pursuing Zuccarello hard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad