Confirmed with Link: Max Domi (50%) and 2024 sixth-round pick to FLA for T. Inamoto; FLA trades Domi (25%) to CAR for E. Korchkov; CBJ trade Inamoto to CAR for A. Hreschuk

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Korpisalo and Kukan are also in the same boat and I didn't see the urgency to gift other teams a draft pick to take them off our hands.

And the esteemed Brendan Gaunce (also a UFA) is who we are letting "get more playing time"in Domi's place.

Yeah, lots of different assumptions we could make and then have reactions to for those guys, too. Wouldn't surprise me if there were just literally no takers for Korpi, and I don't mind that we kept Kukan. I wouldn't have minded if we kept Domi, either, to be clear. Again, big ol' shrug for me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
and again, if this was true, why even do the deal at all? if it meant giving up an asset in addition to Domi, just to make him go away, I don't understand why we needed to do it, unless Domi was threatening to stop playing like PLD, which I saw no evidence of. (or if Jarmo went into deadline day desperate to acquire Aidan Hreschuk?)
You’d rather have Domi for 18 games or whatever it is and a 6th round pick rather than the 19 year old defenseman (just drafted in the third round) who can potentially make our team in the future?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
You’d rather have Domi for 18 games or whatever it is and a 6th round pick rather than the 19 year old defenseman (just drafted in the third round) who can potentially make our team in the future?
Yep. As I've mentioned before, Hreschuk (a marginal NCAA midget d-man at a position we don't need) does absolutely nothing for me. He and the 6th round pick we gave up are basically a wash as far as a chance to make the team (at least the 6th could have been used on a goalie or other position of need). If he makes the team as a full timer at any point in the future, I'll buy you a case of beer.

I'd rather do no trades than pointless, overcomplicated crap like this. (i.e, Korpi, Kukan)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yep. As I've mentioned before, Hreschuk (a marginal NCAA midget d-man at a position we don't need) does absolutely nothing for me. He and the 6th round pick we gave up are basically a wash as far as a chance to make the team (at least the 6th could have been used on a goalie or other position of need). If he makes the team as a full timer at any point in the future, I'll buy you a case of beer.

I'd rather do no trades than pointless, overcomplicated crap like this. (i.e, Korpi, Kukan)

We don’t need defensive prospects? Since when? We have like 3 that are NHL quality and I’m reaching on some of them (Ceuelemens, Svozil, Christiansen, Knazko).

I think this entire situation is starting to get a little (okay a lot) bit overblown. Maybe jarmo did overplay his hand. Or maybe teams see max Domi play defense and commit dumb penalties and decided he wasn’t worth a draft pick over. I don’t know. But I do know he had no future here and this kid MIGHT. So that by itself, is fine for me.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

That makes absolutely no sense to me. He and the 6th we gave up are both just as likely to make the team? What?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
We don’t need defensive prospects? Since when? We have like 3 that are NHL quality and I’m reaching on some of them (Ceuelemens, Svozil, Christiansen, Knazko).

I think this entire situation is starting to get a little (okay a lot) bit overblown. Maybe jarmo did overplay his hand. Or maybe teams see max Domi play defense and commit dumb penalties and decided he wasn’t worth a draft pick over. I don’t know. But I do know he had no future here and this kid MIGHT. So that by itself, is fine for me.

Hate to break it to you, but Hreschuk isn't anywhere near NHL-quality either. So, by definition, he's redundant in our pool of non-NHL quality, "reach" worthy defense prospects. And you truly think undersized, marginal LHD is a need for this franchise? OK.

If nobody wants your UFAs and are offering you garbage, you just hang on to them and finish the season. Its been done with countless other players throughout the years. It was a dumb complicated panic trade at 2:59pm, that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying Jarmo sucks. But he overplayed his hand and it ended up being a gross trade. I'm not going to sit here and be excited about Hreschuk, sorry.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
That makes absolutely no sense to me. He and the 6th we gave up are both just as likely to make the team? What?

What don't you understand? Once you're past the first round, chances of making the NHL all end up about the same in all rounds after.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hate to break it to you, but Hreschuk isn't anywhere near NHL-quality either. So, by definition, he's redundant in our pool of non-NHL quality, "reach" worthy defense prospects. And you truly think undersized, marginal LHD is a need for this franchise? OK.

If nobody wants your UFAs and are offering you garbage, you just hang on to them and finish the season. Its been done with countless other players throughout the years. It was a dumb complicated panic trade at 2:59pm, that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying Jarmo sucks. But he overplayed his hand and it ended up being a gross trade. I'm not going to sit here and be excited about Hreschuk, sorry.
The alternatives to "angry and disappointed" do not exclusively consist of "excited and happy".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is where I take issue with people crying "But Jarmo took the best deal he had!!!" - he overplayed his hand, IMO, and ended up giving away an asset to get a deal done at 2:59pm. I strongly suspect he turned down marginally better offers earlier in the day/week (keeping in mind that Domi's value was never as high as we thought), expecting to drive the price up and it backfired on him.

I think this is plausible, but also petty stuff. It's really only a big miss by Jarmo if he passed up on a 1st and that was never close.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
After sleeping on it, I deffo think we over valued Domi a bit. That being said, I am not happy with the player we got back, not because of the player themselves, but because its another LH defensemen. I think any body in any other position would have been better, Especially with what is happen in the world right now, there might be a point where certain prospects my have difficulties getting over to the NHL/AHL in years to come. I am not saying go get a massive amount of wingers ASAP, but I think getting 1 for Domi, would have been beneficial
I think we've got more of a plethora of wingers than of defensemen. Even left-shot D I'll take over a winger.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Intangible value in trading away Domi may have been a consideration.

1. Torts yesterday, paraphrasing, said he'd tried to get Domi to play more team-oriented and he couldn't or wouldn't do it. If management places a premium on fostering and maintaining a cohesive team-oriented approach, getting someone who won't/can't be that kind of player off the team by any means necessary has value.

2. This frees up a roster spot for the remainder of the season so that we can see increased ice time for others. Maybe it means more TOI for Bemstrom to get one last extended look at him and see if he can elevate, or an elevated spot for Robinson to see if he can rise to the challenge, or bringing Gaunce up for more games to see what he can do, etc. Maybe some of all of that. For a rebuilding team, an on-ice spot has value.

That said, if those are factors, it would seem to me you try to move Domi out ASAP, not just wait for the D/L.

Reactions: Jovavic

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
That's fine, but don't try to convince me that Hreschuk will be a Werenski replacement.
Well. if he has a good pre-season in the next couple years, and Werenski is out for an extended period of time...

=)

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
What don't you understand? Once you're past the first round, chances of making the NHL all end up about the same in all rounds after.
From the 2000-2009 classes 27% of 3rd rounders played 100 NHL games or more, opposed to 16% of 6th rounders from that period. (NHL Draft Pick Probabilities)

From the 2010-2015 classes 49 3rd round picks have played 100 NHL games or more, and 24 6th round picks from those classes have played 100 NHL games or more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Intangible value in trading away Domi may have been a consideration.

1. Torts yesterday, paraphrasing, said he'd tried to get Domi to play more team-oriented and he couldn't or wouldn't do it. If management places a premium on fostering and maintaining a cohesive team-oriented approach, getting someone who won't/can't be that kind of player off the team by any means necessary has value.

2. This frees up a roster spot for the remainder of the season so that we can see increased ice time for others. Maybe it means more TOI for Bemstrom to get one last extended look at him and see if he can elevate, or an elevated spot for Robinson to see if he can rise to the challenge, or bringing Gaunce up for more games to see what he can do, etc. Maybe some of all of that. For a rebuilding team, an on-ice spot has value.

That said, if those are factors, it would seem to me you try to move Domi out ASAP, not just wait for the D/L.
I doubt there was any desire to get Domi out of the locker room, all the body language seems to be that he is well liked in the room and everything.

But the org also viewed him as a superfluous winger. They were happy to let go of him last summer and he wasn't wanted. From that point until now he was never in the long term plans.

They might have been looking forward to moving him all year, mostly just to get the lineup space for younger wingers. That doesn't mean they could have just traded him whenever they wanted to. Teams have to want Domi and want to fit in his cap space and salary. The deadline is not just about buyers and sellers it is also that point later in the year where the remaining salary gets low enough and you can retain a little here and there and find a way to make a deal.

Reactions: Dumais

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I doubt there was any desire to get Domi out of the locker room, all the body language seems to be that he is well liked in the room and everything.

But the org also viewed him as a superfluous winger. They were happy to let go of him last summer and he wasn't wanted. From that point until now he was never in the long term plans.

They might have been looking forward to moving him all year, mostly just to get the lineup space for younger wingers. That doesn't mean they could have just traded him whenever they wanted to. Teams have to want Domi and want to fit in his cap space and salary. The deadline is not just about buyers and sellers it is also that point later in the year where the remaining salary gets low enough and you can retain a little here and there and find a way to make a deal.

I agree - I wasn't saying they hadn't been trying to move him (or that he was a locker room problem), just that when you look at tangible return, it could be missing part of the overall perceived return for the org.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The CBJ owners have been willing to spend. You talk about them like McConnell is Dolan. Unreal and unfair.
Yep spending $70M in 2021-22 was really pushing that $81M cap pretty close. I mean we did outspend Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa and Anaheim this season...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree - I wasn't saying they hadn't been trying to move him (or that he was a locker room problem), just that when you look at tangible return, it could be missing part of the overall perceived return for the org.

He had been a problem at times earlier in his career so I don't doubt that Domi's value still suffers from it. In that sense it can help explain the return. I just don't think it manifested itself this year in Columbus. Zero sign of that.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
There's a reason Domi is on his fourth team. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, just not a great fit, especially given his salary.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Yep spending $70M in 2021-22 was really pushing that $81M cap pretty close. I mean we did outspend Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa and Anaheim this season...
Really, you're going to compare this year to the organizations spending habits as a whole? Why does spending to the cap every year matter? I mean I think you can be realistic and admit that you along with everyone else knew this was going to be a down year, a rebuild year, a non-playoff year. What's the point of spending just to spend. Buying UFAs his year would have done nothing but spend money. Foolish. I realize I'm coming in late on this but I'm pretty certain my thought isn't misdirected. This team has not skimped on spending money when it was in a position to spend money. Period

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's a reason Domi is on his fourth team.

Not directed at you SS, I'm just going to take this opportunity to say that I loathe this cliche. Imagine what Mike Sillinger thinks when he hears that.

Scott Harrington has been with the same org for six years. It doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
That's fine, but don't try to convince me that Hreschuk will be a Werenski replacement.
I'm trying to piece this together a little so if I'm way off, you can flame me or don't respond. Either way, I won't take it personal. I'm not here to convince you Herschuk is a Z replacement. There, that's out of the way, but what I don't understand is why would you keep Domi if there is no future for him here and there is some value to moving him? I guess, what does keeping him for the final 20 games (and I love Domi by the way) do for this team, the organization? He's played well, he's got skill, he's got speed... this team isn't going to the playoffs, they have players that can come in and get a little experience so management can see what they have.

Don't misread this to think that I'm saying we got great value. I thought it would be higher. I think Jarmo likely overplayed his hand, however, we also know that Domi is more of a one dimension player that isn't a center, is a middle 6 wing with no PK time and likely, on a good time, no added PP time. He's a good player but he's not a top prospect or top pick type player. So while the return may not (or hell, maybe it will be?) be what you expected or wanted if we were going to move him, adding a player that, by the way can also be traded, may have something to do with this club in a few years isn't terrible (my opinion). Herschuk played behind an experienced blue line at BC and held his own by all accounts as a Freshman. He comes from the USNTD program as well, which tells me he has talent.

Again, not saying he's a top pair guy but he does have NHL potential and that's always a good asset to have whether we use it or not. He may not develop but I hardly see why it's concerning to trade Domi for such a thing. And since I'm guessing you'll say, "then why didn't they trade Kukan and Korpisalo if they could get just anything?". Since you're on this board I assume you are a fan and recognize that Korpi is playing at an AHL level and likely didn't get any offers and Kukan is a dime a dozen that isnt' going to displace anyone on a playoff bound team. Neither tips the needle and based on what I say, I doubt we were offered a 7th for either.

I respect your position, just don't understand the heightened disappointment in this case.

Reactions: Monk and MoeBartoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Please feel free to enlighten us as to what additional players could be added with that $11m such that we would be competitive this year without losing those players we need to resign this year.

And when I say "what additional players", I mean specific examples. I want names named. Actual hockey players who were actually available and could be actually acquired that would deliver actual results. With defensible rationales as to why those players would choose Columbus and not whatever other destination they went with.

Reactions: LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad