Confirmed with Link: Max Domi (50%) and 2024 sixth-round pick to FLA for T. Inamoto; FLA trades Domi (25%) to CAR for E. Korchkov; CBJ trade Inamoto to CAR for A. Hreschuk

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
After sleeping on it, I deffo think we over valued Domi a bit. That being said, I am not happy with the player we got back, not because of the player themselves, but because its another LH defensemen. I think any body in any other position would have been better, Especially with what is happen in the world right now, there might be a point where certain prospects my have difficulties getting over to the NHL/AHL in years to come. I am not saying go get a massive amount of wingers ASAP, but I think getting 1 for Domi, would have been beneficial
I wonder if there was just a lack of interest in Domi or if Jarmo held out too long waiting for a second and then had to unload last minute? I think Domi had to be traded, but I’ll miss the guy, something I wouldn’t have thought last year.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I wonder if there was just a lack of interest in Domi or if Jarmo held out too long waiting for a second and then had to unload last minute? I think Domi had to be traded, but I’ll miss the guy, something I wouldn’t have thought last year.

Or he values Hreschuk more than most others appear to.

Or he values Domi less than most others appear to.

Etc

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Or he values Hreschuk more than most others appear to.
At least his +/- rating is looking great for the last two seasons, last year with the US development team and this year in BC. I wonder what was his ranking on our scouts' list. Jackets 3rd rounder Svozil was taken #69 overall, Hreschuk at #94 and Jackets 4th rounder Richard at #101. They're all small to average size, two-way type LHDs, Svozil being the most offensively talented one of the three. As of today, does Hreschuk have higher upside than Richard? (in Jarmo's/scouting staff's mind or in general among NCAA hockey followers...)

Reactions: Monk

pled

Sep 7, 2009
At least his +/- rating is looking great for the last two seasons, last year with the US development team and this year in BC. I wonder what was his ranking on our scouts' list. Jackets 3rd rounder Svozil was taken #69 overall, Hreschuk at #94 and Jackets 4th rounder Richard at #101. They're all small to average size, two-way type LHDs, Svozil being the most offensively talented one of the three. As of today, does Hreschuk have higher upside than Richard? (in Jarmo's/scouting staff's mind or in general among NCAA hockey followers...)
Hreschuk do no have high offensive skill. he is as a pesky responsible guy with alright offence.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
1. Wish we wouldn't have traded a useful tool.
2. Maybe Domi wanted to move on.
3. Maybe Domi priced himself out of here.
4. Maybe Jarmo thinks Hreschuk has a chance to be a Werenski replacement in 5 years.
5. It looks like Jarmo waited till the last minute and took the best deal.

Anyway, we have a couple players already that play like Domi. Roslo, Nyquist, Voracek etc, so no big loss.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
After sleeping on it and looking into the new guy this honestly isn’t too bad. Apparently the kid started off really poorly and turned the corner later. That’s fine to me. He’s a college kid adjusting to a new league. He’s obviously going to need time but if there’s one thing I’ve been pounding the table about it’s about how bad our defensive prospects are outside of two or three guys. Maybe this kid can have a great sophomore season and get on track, regardless it’s better than letting Domi walk tor nothing.

If he doesn’t make it or we don’t even sign him then we lost and gained nothing. So it’s fine. Losing the 6th sucks but it is what it is.

Reactions: Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Svozil has 6'1/182, Kňažko 6'1/190, Bjorgvik-Holm 6'3/188, Richard 6'2/172, Makarov 6'1/190. Only Hreschuk has less 6'0. Besides players can still be stronger. So I don't think we have small prospects in defense.
Also not high/weight say how a player can be strong. Example Nick Foligno 6'0/210 and Patrik Laine 6'5/216.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Pretty sure there was just no interest. that was obvious.

There may have been early on. The rumored teams that I saw before Carolina popped up were Washington, Boston, and Colorado.

Washington: acquired Marcus Johansson and Johan Larsson
Boston: re-upped with DeBrusk (presumably to try and trade him but it didn't materialize), leaving them with really not any cap space (would have required a 3rd team for double retained salary, imo, and Boston already spent a bunch of picks getting Lindholm)
Colorado: picked up Lehkonen and Cogliano, in addition to swapping Jost for Sturm and picking up Manson last week; they were up against the cap as well and went in a different direction at forward

This was one, imo, where Jarmo waited too long and the market dried up. Once there's apparently only one team interested, it's hard to drive the price up.

The Foligno and Savard trades last year got done before deadline day, fwiw.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
There may have been early on. The rumored teams that I saw before Carolina popped up were Washington, Boston, and Colorado.

Boston: re-upped with DeBrusk (presumably to try and trade him but it didn't materialize), leaving them with really not any cap space (would have required a 3rd team for double retained salary, imo, and Boston already spent a bunch of picks getting Lindholm)
Colorado: picked up Lehkonen and Cogliano, in addition to swapping Jost for Sturm and picking up Manson last week; they were up against the cap as well and went in a different direction at forward

This was one, imo, where Jarmo waited to long and the market dried up. Once there's apparently only one team interested, it's hard to drive the price up.

Offensive player value is far lower than for player like Larsson, Lehkonen, Cogliano Foligno and Savard.

those were potential fit not rumor of actual interest at least for Washington.

Johansson was far cheaper to fit in cap.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

This was one, imo, where Jarmo waited too long and the market dried up. Once there's apparently only one team interested, it's hard to drive the price up.

This is where I take issue with people crying "But Jarmo took the best deal he had!!!" - he overplayed his hand, IMO, and ended up giving away an asset to get a deal done at 2:59pm. I strongly suspect he turned down marginally better offers earlier in the day/week (keeping in mind that Domi's value was never as high as we thought), expecting to drive the price up and it backfired on him.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Best of luck to him in Carolina and in free agent land but he probably wanted too much to be a middle six forward here. It's a toss up if he meshes with Brind'Amour but if he doesn't I don't doubt the coach scratches him.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Jarmo should be fired immediately if he thinks this. Thankfully, I don't think that's anywhere close to reality.
I said "has a chance". I don't take a negative view of prospects. If Jarmo thinks the kid has the potential to develop (not saying he will) into something better than Domi or hypothetically speaking, was offered a 2nd and took this kid instead; then who knows if this was a good or bad deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Best of luck to him in Carolina and in free agent land but he probably wanted too much to be a middle six forward here. It's a toss up if he meshes with Brind'Amour but if he doesn't I don't doubt the coach scratches him.

Latest I saw, as of last weekend, was that the Jackets hadn't even talked to Domi/Domi's agent about an extension. So...do we even know what his asking price for a new contract is/was?

I think he's in for a 3-4 year deal, @ $4.5m/year, give or take $500k. Just a guess, we'll find out this summer for sure. Never really quite played up to the $5.3m per we gave him.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Probably my last post for awhile on this...

CBJ: gave up Domi (best piece in the trade), and a 2022 6th round pick, in addition to eating half of Domi's remaining cap hit, got a C level collegiate freshman D prospect
FL: will pay Domi ~$347k, got a 2022 6th round pick, dumped a low level prospect they weren't going to sign, and picked up the rights to a decent-ish KHL winger
CAR: gets Domi and only has to pay him ~$347k the rest of the year, gave up their 2021 3rd round pick (a C level defensive prospect, who many experts had ranked in the 15-20 range about Canes prospects), gave up a decent-ish KHL winger, and got the rights to a low level defensive prospect

We a) gave up the best piece in the trade, b) got, arguably, the worst return in the trade, c) had to retain salary, d) had to pay a 3rd team a draft pick to retain salary.

That's a terrible trade any way you look at it. Even without comparing it to other deadline deals for bottom six wingers, it's bad because Jarmo was, largely (imo), the reason we landed here in the first place with being forced to acquire Domi after poisoning the well with Josh Anderson. Turning Josh Anderson into two partial years of Domi, Samuel Knazko, and Aidan Hreschuk in <2 years is really bad asset management.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
That's for sure where I'd value him at but I'm sure his agent will use his offensive numbers to ask for 6 or 7 million from teams...maybe someone with cap and roster space like Arizona would do that.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Latest I saw, as of last weekend, was that the Jackets hadn't even talked to Domi/Domi's agent about an extension. So...do we even know what his asking price for a new contract is/was?

I think he's in for a 3-4 year deal, @ $4.5m/year, give or take $500k. Just a guess, we'll find out this summer for sure. Never really quite played up to the $5.3m per we gave him.

I think he could be a fit with New Jersey. They need wings. That kind of contract would work for them.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

This is my guess, as well. I think we did overvalue Domi when we had talks about 2nd-rounder, but I still just refuse to believe there wasn't one team out there that at some point in the past 5 days wouldn't have given a 3rd-rounder (similar value to Hreschuk, who was very late 3rd but is a year further along than the 2022 pick) for him at 50% retained, which would've been better than having to give up the 6th. I wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo thought similarly to us on his value, waited too long and then had to settle for less than his actual value (which was even less than the internally-perceived value).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This is my guess, as well. I think we did overvalue Domi when we had talks about 2nd-rounder, but I still just refuse to believe there wasn't one team out there that at some point in the past 5 days wouldn't have given a 3rd-rounder (similar value to Hreschuk, who was very late 3rd but is a year further along than the 2022 pick) for him at 50% retained, which would've been better than having to give up the 6th. I wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo thought similarly to us on his value, waited too long and then had to settle for less than his actual value (which was even less than the internally-perceived value).

I think it's just as likely that:
A. This was actually the best deal Jarmo was offered all along
B. Jarmo values Hreschuk more than a 3rd rounder from Carolina

I just don't really get why there is angst based on pure assumption, for the same reason that I'm not overly happy with the trade because I don't know that A or B are true, either. Just sort of a shrug trade for me.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think it's just as likely that:
A. This was actually the best deal Jarmo was offered all along
and again, if this was true, why even do the deal at all? if it meant giving up an asset in addition to Domi, just to make him go away, I don't understand why we needed to do it, unless Domi was threatening to stop playing like PLD, which I saw no evidence of. (or if Jarmo went into deadline day desperate to acquire Aidan Hreschuk?)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
and again, if this was true, why even do the deal at all? if it meant giving up an asset in addition to Domi, just to make him go away, I don't understand why we needed to do it, unless Domi was threatening to stop playing like PLD, which I saw no evidence of. (or if Jarmo went into deadline day desperate to acquire Aidan Hreschuk?)

Because they're not making the playoffs this year, Domi wasn't going to be re-signed, let other guys who will/might be around longer get more playing time, get something instead of nothing.

Reactions: LJ7

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

To save a few dollars for the owners.

Reactions: DJA

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Because they're not making the playoffs this year, Domi wasn't going to be re-signed, let other guys who will/might be around longer get more playing time, get something instead of nothing.

Korpisalo and Kukan are also in the same boat and I didn't see the urgency to gift other teams a draft pick to take them off our hands.

And the esteemed Brendan Gaunce (also a UFA) is who we are letting "get more playing time"in Domi's place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad