Player Discussion Max Comtois

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Neither would paying a forward that gets scratched consistently $2.5M a season
Should he be scratched consistently? I’d like him to have a clean slate next season with a new coach.

Neither would paying a forward that gets scratched consistently $2.5M a season
As opposed to healthy scratching a forward that makes $1 mil? Are you worried about Samueli’s bank account?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Should he be scratched consistently? I’d like him to have a clean slate next season with a new coach.

As opposed to healthy scratching a forward that makes $1 mil? Are you worried about Samueli’s bank account?
No, I'm worried about setting a precedent that poor performance and work ethic from our young players gets rewarded. None of us can truly speak on his work ethic but if it is such a concern to where the coach felt the need to call him out publicly then I don’t have a problem with them scratching him

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Why the scouting staff?

He was a good young player and then something happened to him after 20-21.

I’ve said it before on here, I thought he was a projected top-25 pick during his draft year, and he dropped significantly.

Doesn’t help that he’s not consistent in one particular area. Plays physical for a bit and then disappears. His scoring touch evaporated

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
No, I'm worried about setting a precedent that poor performance and work ethic from our young players gets rewarded. None of us can truly speak on his work ethic but if it is such a concern to where the coach felt the need to call him out publicly then I don’t have a problem with them scratching him
I think if you take him to arbitration you minimize a lot of those risks too. If you opt for a 1 year deal he's still rfa and makes about 2.1 mill rather than this QO and is isn't allowed to pout his way out if the organization if the work ethic is a real issue.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think if you take him to arbitration you minimize a lot of those risks too. If you opt for a 1 year deal he's still rfa and makes about 2.1 mill rather than this QO and is isn't allowed to pout his way out if the organization if the work ethic is a real issue.
Guarantee you PV doesn’t want him around nearly bad enough to bother with team elected arbitration. $2.1M is still an overpayment for him

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
There was an article around trade deadline that stated the Ducks tried to trade him and didn't find any value. Everyone can see what the Ducks see. Comtois is a player that doesn't have the natural skill like Getzlaf to lean on to be successful. He has to have that drive or work ethic and he clearly doesn't haven't.

He's not worth the roster spot and he doesn't fit the future of the team. It's time for both sides to move on. I'm always surprised how some want to keep the same coach, players, etc... on one the historically worst teams ever. It's time to move on.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Guarantee you PV doesn’t want him around nearly bad enough to bother with team elected arbitration. $2.1M is still an overpayment for him
You could be right. He let Milano walk who had proven more but the arbitration case is much weaker and MC had shown improvement over the last month or so until a stretch of 5 bad games by the team. I wouldn't write it off completely yet. We don't need the money nor do we have really anyone to take the spot in the system either.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You could be right. He let Milano walk who had proven more but the arbitration case is much weaker and MC had shown improvement over the last month or so until a stretch of 5 bad games by the team. I wouldn't write it off completely yet. We don't need the money nor do we have really anyone to take the spot in the system either.
These aren’t arguments for keeping him, you’re basically advocating we just do it for the sake of it because we aren’t in cap hell, which thankfully we finally have a front office who isn’t interested in doing that and actually seems to be willing to make meaningful changes. We also “didn’t need the money” we could have given to Steel, Milano, Larsson, etc but they had regressed and the organization didn’t want them around anymore so they’re gone. No reason to expect anything different here

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
These aren’t arguments for keeping him, you’re basically advocating we just do it for the sake of it because we aren’t in cap hell, which thankfully we finally have a front office who isn’t interested in doing that and actually seems to be willing to make meaningful changes. We also “didn’t need the money” we could have given to Steel, Milano, Larsson, etc but they had regressed and the organization didn’t want them around anymore so they’re gone. No reason to expect anything different here
There also isn't a real reason to move on for the sake of moving on. Unless he is actually an issue in the room which we don't actually know. He's not the first player to ever be called out by their coach on work ethic. It really depends on if the org thinks they can revitalize him. You're essentially arguing letting him go because we can. It will go 1 of 2 ways. 1 they let him go ufa and whipe their hands clean or 2. They take him to arbitration in an effort to see if he can turn things around. He's not even 25 yet. I agree it's more likely they let him walk I just don't thinknits a forgone conclusion and honestly if we're not on a rush to be a good team there is some sense in seeing what you can get out of a player if the situation changes, IE a new coach. If Eakins is back I'd imagine the chances of him not being qualified go up to near 100%

Reactions: Deuce22

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
There also isn't a real reason to move on for the sake of moving on. Unless he is actually an issue in the room which we don't actually know. He's not the first player to ever be called out by their coach on work ethic. It really depends on if the org thinks they can revitalize him. You're essentially arguing letting him go because we can. It will go 1 of 2 ways. 1 they let him go ufa and whipe their hands clean or 2. They take him to arbitration in an effort to see if he can turn things around. He's not even 25 yet. I agree it's more likely they let him walk I just don't thinknits a forgone conclusion and honestly if we're not on a rush to be a good team there is some sense in seeing what you can get out of a player if the situation changes, IE a new coach. If Eakins is back I'd imagine the chances of him not being qualified go up to near 100%
1. He's owed more than his production
2. Wasn't drafted by the current front office who is doing a full overhaul over the organization
3. Publicly called out by the coach for work ethic issues
4. Declining stats for two consecutive seasons now

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
1. He's owed more than his production
2. Wasn't drafted by the current front office who is doing a full overhaul over the organization
3. Publicly called out by the coach for work ethic issues
4. Declining stats for two consecutive seasons now
1. Arbitration limits reduces this and shows players they just won't be qualified.
2. Just because he wasn't drafted by the current administration doesn't mean they don’t see potential. The scouting staff is the same. Supposedly PV was asking for a 2nd rounder. That would suggest they think he has some value where he is.
3. Not the first time it has happened to a player and I'd be very surprised if it resulted in the player being gone in the majority of situations. We also don't know how he is responding to the public criticism.
4. He actually is doing better this year than he did last year.
I'm not saying he's for sure going to be retained but it sounds like you're 100% that he won't be. I don't think the situation is that clear. If I've mis-interpreted your position I apologize. Unfortunately I do agree it's probably more likely he is let go, as I said though, I can see a world where is is kept.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1. Arbitration limits reduces this and shows players they just won't be qualified.
2. Just because he wasn't drafted by the current administration doesn't mean they don’t see potential. The scouting staff is the same. Supposedly PV was asking for a 2nd rounder. That would suggest they think he has some value where he is.
3. Not the first time it has happened to a player and I'd be very surprised if it resulted in the player being gone in the majority of situations. We also don't know how he is responding to the public criticism.
4. He actually is doing better this year than he did last year.
I'm not saying he's for sure going to be retained but it sounds like you're 100% that he won't be. I don't think the situation is that clear. If I've mis-interpreted your position I apologize. Unfortunately I do agree it's probably more likely he is let go, as I said though, I can see a world where is is kept.
I don't think he will be, but no I don't think it is a 100% certainty, I wouldn't bring him back though and I just don't think your arguments really hold much weight after last season's non-tenders. You keep mentioning team elected arbitration, do you realize how uncommon it's actually done?

2022: Matthew Tkachuk, Wood
2021: Carlo, Fiala, Sanheim
2020: none
2019: Husso
2018: none
2017: none
2016: Mrazek
2015: Bernier, Schultz
2014: Frolik, ROR, Sobotka
2013: none

That's only 12 in the last 10 years.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't think he will be, but no I don't think it is a 100% certainty, I wouldn't bring him back though and I just don't think your arguments really hold much weight after last season's non-tenders. You keep mentioning team elected arbitration, do you realize how uncommon it's actually done?

2022: Matthew Tkachuk, Wood
2021: Carlo, Fiala, Sanheim
2020: none
2019: Husso
2018: none
2017: none
2016: Mrazek
2015: Bernier, Schultz
2014: Frolik, ROR, Sobotka
2013: none

That's only 12 in the last 10 years.
Its a rare situation I admit but it does happen. Generally you don't have young players lead the team in scoring and fall off a cliff either. That's not exactly common. An uncommon practice for an uncommon situation.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The closest thing to a power forward this team has. Let's get rid of him because he doesn't get along with one of the worst coaches in the league. I'm sure Verbeek will easily replace him with another gentle friendly giant

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Valid arguments being made each way. Ultimately, as @MMC has alluded to, recent history shows that our cap situation will not play a factor. Verbeek clearly doesn't want to overpay any unproven younger player or hand out with raises to players who he feels haven't earned them (ie Steel and Milano). Just can't be surprised at all if he chooses to cut ties.

I would like to think that based on having both shown more at the NHL level than those two in the past, and having physical tools that would lend to a higher floor as a grinder - if those other two had zero trade value, maybe Comtois has at least some?

Reactions: DavidBL

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Valid arguments being made each way. Ultimately, as @MMC has alluded to, recent history shows that our cap situation will not play a factor. Verbeek clearly doesn't want to overpay any unproven younger player or hand out with raises to players who he feels haven't earned them (ie Steel and Milano). Just can't be surprised at all if he chooses to cut ties.

I would like to think that based on having both shown more at the NHL level than those two in the past, and having physical tools that would lend to a higher floor as a grinder - if those other two had zero trade value, maybe Comtois has at least some?
I think he'll definitely have a stronger market at the draft than he did at the deadline where his salary just wasn't palatable but I'm not going to expect any value back at this point

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
The closest thing to a power forward this team has. Let's get rid of him because he doesn't get along with one of the worst coaches in the league. I'm sure Verbeek will easily replace him with another gentle friendly giant

If he leaned more into his physical play I would be 100% on board with re-signing him. Problem is: he disappears physically just as much as he disappears on the score sheet.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Jones has 29 more hits and 1 less point in 3 more games, and is probably twice his speed.

There is no pride in bring literally the only player Eakins has ever coached that cannot get along with him. It calls into question his ability to get along with any coach.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think he'll definitely have a stronger market at the draft than he did at the deadline where his salary just wasn't palatable but I'm not going to expect any value back at this point
I’m expecting a variant version of him. He’s the prototypical change of scenery player.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Jones has 29 more hits and 1 less point in 3 more games, and is probably twice his speed.

There is no pride in bring literally the only player Eakins has ever coached that cannot get along with him. It calls into question his ability to get along with any coach.
Well, at least during his time in Anaheim. Otherwise, I think Taylor Hall would like a word with you.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Comtois averaged over 2 hits per game last year. Not even close to that this year. Going in the wrong direction.

John

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I actually think he leaned TOO MUCH into physicality. He went away from what made him good - finding soft spots in the offensive slot to finish plays.

Now he just runs around looking to hit people and fight people and is constantly chasing

Comtois averaged over 2 hits per game last year. Not even close to that this year. Going in the wrong direction.

John
He sucked last year too though. I don’t know. Maybe he just isn’t good.

I do think he’ll become an NHL player somewhere else though

But okay with moving on now

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad