Player Discussion Max Comtois

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s started to pick up a few assists but unfortunately this is another disappointing season for Comtois. Think it’s now up for debate if he’s qualified in the offseason at $2.445M, if he’s not moved beforehand

I want to give him one more season, he has shown effort but the production is just not there. When he plays his physical game he can really contribute. But if Verbeek can add him as a sweetener to get a better return won’t lose sleep over it.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Personally I don't think Comtois will be used as a sweetener in a deadline deal, his salary even for this year is too high compared to his production for any contender to likely want to waste any of their very little cap space on. Maybe he gets moved in a one for change of scenery deal, but that's probably more likely to happen in the offseason before QOs are due

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I guarantee you he’ll go somewhere else and be a 2nd/3rd line tweener power forward

They should really give him another year. He’s been buried with bad players for most of the season and is playing on the worst offensive team in hockey.

I don’t know why it took Eakins so long to put him with Zegras. There’s been obvious chemistry with those 2 in years past. Terrible coaching

It’s selling low if they punt on him

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I guarantee you he’ll go somewhere else and be a 2nd/3rd line tweener power forward

They should really give him another year. He’s been buried with bad players for most of the season and is playing on the worst offensive team in hockey.

I don’t know why it took Eakins so long to put him with Zegras. There’s been obvious chemistry with those 2 in years past. Terrible coaching

It’s selling low if they punt on him

I think it’s a combination of the coaching and the player. He did have his best season under Eakins, but was in the doghouse a lot last season which was on him.

This year he came into camp in shape, has shown effort and passion, but the production is just not there, but then again everyone is down to where they should be, imho.

Last edited:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
It’s weird you guys think he’d be productive mostly playing 3rd line left wing with the slow aging Silfverberg on right wing and a defensive center in Lundestrom/Carrick.

He is now playing his role nicely with Z and Strome.

Do we have any other power forwards in the organization capable of playing a top 9 role right now? The answer is no, but some of you want to cut Comtois loose. It boggles the mind.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It’s weird you guys think he’d be productive mostly playing 3rd line left wing with the slow aging Silfverberg on right wing and a defensive center in Lundestrom/Carrick.

He is now playing his role nicely with Z and Strome.

Do we have any other power forwards in the organization capable of playing a top 9 role right now? The answer is no, but some of you want to cut Comtois loose. It boggles the mind.

I think if the name was removed and Comtois was described to us, everyone here would gladly take him on as an intriguing project. I get that there is some level of disappointment/frustration with his development, but I really don't see any reason to give up on him just yet.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Doesn't seem like our front office agrees with you that our coaching staff has anything to do with guys like Comtois having poor seasons
How do you know that? Eakins is a lame duck coach, they will likely mutually part ways after this season. No need for Verbeek to terminate him now.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How do you know that? Eakins is a lame duck coach, they will likely mutually part ways after this season. No need for Verbeek to terminate him now.
None of us know for sure, but PV hasn’t been critical of him at all, and when asked about under performance he’s talked much more about the players not performing in the systems rather than the systems failing the players. And I’m not as convinced as most of the board that Eakins is getting replaced after the season

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
None of us know for sure, but PV hasn’t been critical of all, and when asked about under performance he’s talked much about the players not performing in the systems rather than the systems failing the players. And I’m not as convinced as most of the board that Eakins is getting replaced after the season

I would actually not be shocked if Eakins is still here next season. Eakins has not had much to work with, and this D group is just horrible. I want to blame the system, but then I see the D we are icing, and have to take a step back and say is it really the system? We gut half this D replace it with even slightly better players, will see an improvement.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And to be clear I don't necessarily want to non-tender him, this is just what I expect to happen when a new GM first inherits a shitty roster he didn't build

I won't be shocked if it does happen, for that exact reason. Otherwise I don't see much motivation to cut ties, barring a change of scenery trade for a similar young player or having him as part of a package for a bigger trade.

If they are leaning towards parting ways, I think he'd have some value at this deadline.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think it’s a combination of the coaching and the player. He did have his best season under Eakins, but was in the doghouse a lot last season which was on him.

This year he came into camp in shape, has shown effort and passion, but the production is just not there, but then again everyone is down to where they should be, imho.

Did McTavish have trouble scoring like Comtois? McTavish was scoring points with Jones and Leason as his wingers as a 4th line.

Two seasons ago, COVID season, the team was terrible then too, but Comtois rose to the top. I don't understand why there are so many excuses for Comtois not producing as well as blaming Eakins. Comtois already displayed he has the capacity to produce on a bad team, but it's of himself that he derailed his development.

Since we're in a rebuild, we need plugs. Comtois is a plug and hopes that year 3 is what will bring scoring Comtois is worth keeping Comtois.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Every one on the roster is except maybe 1 or 2.

It doesn’t mean he should be dumped

Eh, to each their own. Verbeek will gradually bring in his own players that fit the mold. Whether GMPV thinks he’s worth it is up to him. I still think his COVID season was an anomaly and won’t be replicated

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I would actually not be shocked if Eakins is still here next season. Eakins has not had much to work with, and this D group is just horrible. I want to blame the system, but then I see the D we are icing, and have to take a step back and say is it really the system? We gut half this D replace it with even slightly better players, will see an improvement.
If Eakins is still here next season, then Verbeek can pack his bags as far as I'm concerned. That would be by far his worst decision in his tenure.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Eakins is still here next season, then Verbeek can pack his bags as far as I'm concerned. That would be by far his worst decision in his tenure.

Honestly, I still feel a better coach and system will get more out of the kids and even the vets. Granted this roster is bad, I still think the system and coaching is a part of the issue. I know Eakins has not much to work with, but I dunno.

Reactions: Hey234
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Currently pacing for around 12+12 and 160 PIMs over a full season. He's a factor on the forecheck and he draws more power plays than he causes us to be shorthanded. I don't hate that at all. It does feel like it's a disappointment given what he seemed capable of but this is a useful player who fills a specific role here and would be useful even on a good team.

So I say keep him around.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1676666400320.png
1676666412889.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad