Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If the habs don't sign another defenseman, then Norlinder has a real chance to make the lineup.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I think he'll make the team. Bergevin is known for rushing prospects, there is a blantant need in the lineup for a puck mover, Norlinder's coach thinks he's ready, says he's a reliable defenseman in his own zone. I'm not saying he couldn't use another year in the SHL but it really looks like he'll have the opportunity to make the team and I don't see him missing out on that opportunity.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My French isn't great but they say he's getting ready for his first full season in the SHL but last year was his first full season unless they are talking about the times he missed to injury. Also I believe they say he's 5'10 but he's been listed at 6'0

So he's at Frolunda's training camp, their preseason starts soon as the season starts in 36 days I believe. We don't know when the rookie camp will be held but we know he will be there. So he will likely be leaving in the middle of camp/preseason or at the start of the regular season. I just don't get the plan here, why do this, why not wait till the end of the season, sign him and bring him to Laval. Instead they are going to burn a spot on the 50, burn a year off his ELC, and have him miss either part of camp/preseason or the start of the regular season. Unless of course the plan is either to be in the NHL, or if they were able to work out some deal with Frolunda that allows them to send him to Laval. I don't know if that's even possible, we know the rules are he has to be on the Habs or loaned back to Frolunda but I don't know if Frolunda can say no you keep him. I'm not sure why they would since they are trying to win as they are often a top team in the SHL and I believe a rich team so it's not like they would need the money for him though they know he would likely be gone at the end of the season. But he should be a top pairing or top 3 D for them.

Really interested to see what MB's plan is, to me it's huge as I think he's our top prospect and could have a major impact as having him, CC, Tof, Suzkuki, Hoffman, our PP would be sick to watch.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
My French isn't great but they say he's getting ready for his first full season in the SHL but last year was his first full season unless they are talking about the times he missed to injury. Also I believe they say he's 5'10 but he's been listed at 6'0

So he's at Frolunda's training camp, their preseason starts soon as the season starts in 36 days I believe. We don't know when the rookie camp will be held but we know he will be there. So he will likely be leaving in the middle of camp/preseason or at the start of the regular season. I just don't get the plan here, why do this, why not wait till the end of the season, sign him and bring him to Laval. Instead they are going to burn a spot on the 50, burn a year off his ELC, and have him miss either part of camp/preseason or the start of the regular season. Unless of course the plan is either to be in the NHL, or if they were able to work out some deal with Frolunda that allows them to send him to Laval. I don't know if that's even possible, we know the rules are he has to be on the Habs or loaned back to Frolunda but I don't know if Frolunda can say no you keep him. I'm not sure why they would since they are trying to win as they are often a top team in the SHL and I believe a rich team so it's not like they would need the money for him though they know he would likely be gone at the end of the season. But he should be a top pairing or top 3 D for them.

Really interested to see what MB's plan is, to me it's huge as I think he's our top prospect and could have a major impact as having him, CC, Tof, Suzkuki, Hoffman, our PP would be sick to watch.

Your tendency is to not rush guys and I think you've watched more Norlinder than most of us... what's your take? Do you think it would be a mistake to bring him into the line-up (assuming there is no Laval loop-hole)?

Obviously it will be tempting... especially with this year probably being a re-tooling year...

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Correct me of I'm wrong, but I dont think the guy was dominant over there. Why would anyone think he'd make an nhl team if he couldn't dominate and log big minutes in the shl? Again, I'm just going by what I've read.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Correct me of I'm wrong, but I dont think the guy was dominant over there. Why would anyone think he'd make an nhl team if he couldn't dominate and log big minutes in the shl? Again, I'm just going by what I've read.

He dominated in the play-offs and was very strong most of the year, the only thing was he had a low PDO and he had some injury troubles.. there were some defensive moments which were shaky as well, needs to get stronger but he was about as good as you want at that age at that level when you're not talking an absolute stud.

Jul 6, 2016
The kid is 5'10" , right ?

We heard his coach and one Swedish media guy praising him.... Never heard anyone else.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He dominated in the play-offs and was very strong most of the year, the only thing was he had a low PDO and he had some injury troubles.. there were some defensive moments which were shaky as well, needs to get stronger but he was about as good as you want at that age at that level when you're not talking an absolute stud.
Ok.thats what I gathered from reading about him. That doesn't scream nhl ready to me though. Honestly, I think the Habs really need to pin their hopes on Wideman earning that puck mover/PP spot or even Brook finally being ready. Otherwise, it's all on Petry. To me, Norlinder is still a year away.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

It doesn't mean much. Hell we have seen AHL guys being average and then becoming game breakers in the NHL. Sometime playing with better players helps.

Reactions: ngc_5128

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Your tendency is to not rush guys and I think you've watched more Norlinder than most of us... what's your take? Do you think it would be a mistake to bring him into the line-up (assuming there is no Laval loop-hole)?

Obviously it will be tempting... especially with this year probably being a re-tooling year...

I would have given him another year in the SHL for sure but I'm a huge fan, he's so skilled and so fun to watch. I have seen a good bit of him, there's a lot of vids of him on my youtube channel fyi...

He's a sniper for sure, he needs to add mass and strength, he will take the body but it's not his thing. He makes some questionable decisions in his own end at times. He loves to pinch in, good at carrying the puck up ice, passing the puck but the wrist shot is his bread and butter, he can pick the corners and he can deke well.

I am confused on what the plan is but he's also a massive need. If he did make the team, he would have to be either with Chiarot or Savard.

he started the season as the top 3 D on what was at the time one of the best teams in the league. He got injured playing for Team Sweden during Euro Cup (a warm up to the WC's), and when he came back he went into the boards funny and so they brought in a hired gun to take his spot as the team was falling hard and they are usually one of the top teams in the SHL. They struggled to score goals but when he came back they moved him from 2nd pairing RD to 3rd pairing LD. His bread and butter is goal scoring, he was one of the top U-20 goal scoring defensemen in the SHL despite being a rookie.

The better question imo is why is MB doing here? They held his rights for 2 more years, why sign him now? What's the point? So now you burn a year off his contract, you now can only have 49 players under contract (assuming he's in the SHL), and you bring him over in the middle of preseason or at the start of the season. I just don't get why would you do that when he could have just signed him in March/April and put him in Laval or the Habs if he had a big year, it just seems stupid unless you think he can make the team.

The kid is 5'10" , right ?

We heard his coach and one Swedish media guy praising him.... Never heard anyone else.

he's listed as 6'0. He's only really played in Sweden outside of limited TOI in the WJC's.

Jul 6, 2016
I would have given him another year in the SHL for sure but I'm a huge fan, he's so skilled and so fun to watch. I have seen a good bit of him, there's a lot of vids of him on my youtube channel fyi...

He's a sniper for sure, he needs to add mass and strength, he will take the body but it's not his thing. He makes some questionable decisions in his own end at times. He loves to pinch in, good at carrying the puck up ice, passing the puck but the wrist shot is his bread and butter, he can pick the corners and he can deke well.

I am confused on what the plan is but he's also a massive need. If he did make the team, he would have to be either with Chiarot or Savard.

he started the season as the top 3 D on what was at the time one of the best teams in the league. He got injured playing for Team Sweden during Euro Cup (a warm up to the WC's), and when he came back he went into the boards funny and so they brought in a hired gun to take his spot as the team was falling hard and they are usually one of the top teams in the SHL. They struggled to score goals but when he came back they moved him from 2nd pairing RD to 3rd pairing LD. His bread and butter is goal scoring, he was one of the top U-20 goal scoring defensemen in the SHL despite being a rookie.

The better question imo is why is MB doing here? They held his rights for 2 more years, why sign him now? What's the point? So now you burn a year off his contract, you now can only have 49 players under contract (assuming he's in the SHL), and you bring him over in the middle of preseason or at the start of the season. I just don't get why would you do that when he could have just signed him in March/April and put him in Laval or the Habs if he had a big year, it just seems stupid unless you think he can make the team.

he's listed as 6'0. He's only really played in Sweden outside of limited TOI in the WJC's.

According to HockeyDB, he is 5'10", 179 lbs. And the most recent article that I saw in this thread, is also saying that he is 5'10''.. He turned 21 in April. Must not had grown that much.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
According to HockeyDB, he is 5'10", 179 lbs. And the most recent article that I saw in this thread, is also saying that he is 5'10''.. He turned 21 in April. Must not had grown that much.

it's been said many times but hockeydb does not update height/weight. he's at camp now for Froulunda, maybe we will get an update. He looks around 6'0 to me.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

We talk about him as if he was just drafted. He's 21 already. He still needs to get stronger. He still needs to improve his defensive play. He still needs to improve his offensive IQ. To think that this guy can get in the lineup real soon is wishful thinking.

The kid says that the smaller ice surface is a concerne. And yet, he'll stay in Frolunda for another year? Yeah, makes total sense. I'm not expecting a whole lot in the upcoming future for him.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

I was suspicious too that he was only 5.10. I went through the trouble of looking at film of all his goal celebrations and compared heights with teammates... I can say he's definetely more than 5.10 because he's clearly taller than 3 other players listed at 5.10. But is he 5"11, 5.11.5 or 6, it's hard to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad