Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
Norlinder talked about the next steps with the new NHL contract.
“I will come down and do the preseason with Frölunda before I go over to Montreal for rookie camp,” he said. The training in Sweden takes him to early August then, he confirms when he will come to Quebec for his first taste of North American professional hockey. He would be eligible for the team’s main training camp as well.
The main question that Norlinder faces is what will happen if he doesn’t make the NHL club.
“The plan is that I will play with Frölunda next season, but it is subject to chance depending on what Montreal says after camp.”

‘It is a dream come true’: Mattias Norlinder talks about his new NHL contract

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Definitely no chance that Norlinder plays NHL next year. At least not regularly (I don't even think he gets a cup of coffee, but who knows).

With Norlinder they are burning up a year off his ELC and a spot on the 50, which we were very tight against this year so they must have some plan in mind that he could stick since he can't go to Laval due to the PTA rules in place.

What we know is that he will be at the rookie camp, I assume that if all goes well then he'll be at training camp. I believe it was Timmins that brought up some time ago that they felt they made a mistake in bringing over Collberg for camp because the SHL season started then so when he went back, he lost his spot so only got 4th line minutes. So unless they are just going to repeat that mistake again or perhaps they have worked out something with Frolunda to where if they bring him over they will send him back early or something.

This season the SHL started on Sept 19th, so that would clearly be a problem as Norlinder was their #3 D last season until he got injured the 2nd time as when he came back they brought in a hired gun in Sigalet but he just announced his retirement a few weeks back. Now it looks like Frolunda has an opening on the top pairing with Elliott since I believe Sellgren is leaving the team for the Canes. So eithe the Habs are doing something stupid here and messing with his chance to be on the top pairing perhaps (just a guess on my part at this time) or a plan has been worked out, or the Habs think he can stick with the team as they wouldn't bring him over to be a 7th D I'd assume.

For now we just need to see how he does at the rookie camp and then after that hopefully we hear more about their plans.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
For me it depends on what their plan is with Norlinder. If he makes the team then having Gus as the 7th D would help him a little transition to the NHL and since we are looking at an 82 game schedule, with old man Weber and not young guy Petry, we know there's going to likely be injuries and that we will likely need to use 8-9 maybe 10 different blueliners throughout the season. So Gus playing 40-50ish games against weaker teams doesn't seem like an issue depending on how the rest of the roster is made up and cost.

I would be shocked if Norlinder was even a consideration at this point for next season. I think the year after for sure

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would be shocked if Norlinder was even a consideration at this point for next season. I think the year after for sure

If they have no plan on him making the team then it was a stupid thing to sign him and waste a spot on the 50 contract (we were at 49 at one point this season so not a lot of room there if injuries had hit hard over a 82 game schedule) and it burns a year off his ELC. They didn't need to sign him for 2 years still, so there was no rush at all. But we'll see what the plan is

Last edited:
Reactions: Gally11

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
I just wrote about it here,

HF Habs: - 21-22 lineup

post #74.

If they have no plan on him making the team then it was a stupid thing to sign him and waste a spot on the 50 contract (we were at 49 at one point this season so not a lot of room there if injuries had hit hard over a 82 game schedule) and it burns a year off his ELC. They didn't need to sign him for 2 years still, so there was no rush at all. But we'll see what the plan is

Plan? We don't need no stinking plan!

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

post #74.

Your explanation makes sense, but I'd be really surprised if they consider him a realistic option for next season. We'll see.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

post #74.

If they brought him to AHL they'd need him signed though no?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Your explanation makes sense, but I'd be really surprised if they consider him a realistic option for next season. We'll see.

I think it all starts at the rookie camp and goes from there, I believe they said he will be at training camp but after the rookie camp we'll see what they say. If he's at training camp then it gets very interesting due to his SHL season having already started so it would be really stupid to sign him, burn a year off his ELC, use up a spot on the 50, and risk him perhaps not getting a chance to win the job on the top pairing if Sellegren is indeed with the Canes which I believe is the plan.

So if they just did all that just to bring him over for camp it would be very shortsighted depending on how it played out with Frolunda who are a top team in the SHL every year and in the Champions League which is back on next season.

If they brought him to AHL they'd need him signed though no?

Montreal Canadiens sign D Mattias Norlinder to three-year-entry level contract - TSN.ca

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is he coming to camp this fall?

That's my understanding. I know they said he's going to be at the rookie camp which I assume will be in August. Perhaps if he has a poor rookie camp they will just send him back and tell him to stay in Sweden till the end of the year and if his season is over there and Laval's still going they could bring him over and he would be eligible to play in Laval once his season ends in Frolunda.

On a side note I don't know the rule that well since they changed it from the previous PTA with the IIHF that was in place for many years. So what the rule is, since Norlinder is under contract with Frolunda before we signed him, he can come to training camp but if he doesn't make the Habs (or another NHL team if traded), then he has to be loaned back to Frolunda. Now I don't know but I assume if Frolunda didn't have room for him since their season would have already started so they may have to plan on not having him back unless the Habs already assured them that he will be loaned back 100% (maybe baring an unreal camp) then I guess they could put him in Laval as long as Frolunda agreed to it. Since it's never come up though for any Hab prospect under this new agreement, I can't say for sure.

So for now we should just wait and see what happens at the rookie camp and go from there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think both him and Norlinder will be given every chance to crack the roster.

I'm curious if they will bring Norlinder for the main camp. Because generally, they let their European players stay in Europe since their leagues start before. But I don't recall if any of them were under contract already like Norlinder is.

I also don't know how it works since he's under contract with Frolunda for another year. I don't know if he has an NHL-out clause.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm curious if they will bring Norlinder for the main camp. Because generally, they let their European players stay in Europe since their leagues start before. But I don't recall if any of them were under contract already like Norlinder is.

I also don't know how it works since he's under contract with Frolunda for another year. I don't know if he has an NHL-out clause.

Yeah I don't know about the last part so that might be a deciding factor but I'm pretty sure they're going to give him a real look. You would love for a more dominant season from him before he'd go to the NHL but it really depends on what kind of offseason he can have.

I guess the AHL isn't exactly an option. That's too bad that would be probably be a good fit for him this coming year

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Yeah I don't know about the last part so that might be a deciding factor but I'm pretty sure they're going to give him a real look. You would love for a more dominant season from him before he'd go to the NHL but it really depends on what kind of offseason he can have.

I guess the AHL isn't exactly an option. That's too bad that would be probably be a good fit for him this coming year

I moved your posts to the Norlinder thread since this was talked about so you can read over the posts. Quick answer is he's not eligible for Laval, it's NHL or Frolunda. The Habs said he would be coming over but we'll see if they are going to have a develop or rookie camp or not.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I moved your posts to the Norlinder thread since this was talked about so you can read over the posts. Quick answer is he's not eligible for Laval, it's NHL or Frolunda. The Habs said he would be coming over but we'll see if they are going to have a develop or rookie camp or not.

I really don’t see any reasonable way Norlinder makes the team this upcoming season, barring MB completely shitting the bed and not picking up a single competent D-man in the offseason. Which I guess isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really don’t see any reasonable way Norlinder makes the team this upcoming season, barring MB completely shitting the bed and not picking up a single competent D-man in the offseason. Which I guess isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

then why sign him when you had 2 more years to do so, now we lost a spot on a 50 where he had 2 open spots all year this season, he burns a year off his ELC as well. I could see their plan being on him getting top pairing TOI with Frolunda next season, then coming over at the end of the year assuming Laval is in the playoffs, but if that's the plan then why not just sign him then, see how his season goes and if he stays healthy and plays well etc..

They said he would be coming over to camp, so we'll see as we get closer to what the plan actually is. Timmins said a while back that he feels they made a mistake with Collberg when they brought him over for camp as when he went back to Frolunda, he lost his spot in the lineup and didn't get much playing time that year (he was on the 4th line, as Frolunda is one of the top teams in the SHL most years). So if he's at camp, it would be stupid since it would be while SHL season is starting, but we'll see what the plan is soon enough.

For those that don't follow the Euro leagues, keep in mind the KHL preseason starts in 2 days, the SHL and Liiga should be starting up soon as I well, since their season starts in 7 weeks.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Maybe the ELC they gave him carried a signing bonus ? It was what happened with Guhle if I remember correctly. If so that could just be a nice gesture toward Norlinder and he just plays the full season in Frolunda after the rookie camp

The chances he makes the team seem incredibly low to me so I figure it must be a bonus related ELC

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Maybe the ELC they gave him carried a signing bonus ? It was what happened with Guhle if I remember correctly. If so that could just be a nice gesture toward Norlinder and he just plays the full season in Frolunda after the rookie camp

The chances he makes the team seem incredibly low to me so I figure it must be a bonus related ELC

He got 277,500K but it's spread out over 3 years, so 92,500K a year. The difference is unlike Guhle who doesn't make very much to play in the WHL, Norlinder has been playing in a pro league the past few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->