Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Okay, Klingberg did that as a 20 year old sophomore.

Norlinder will be a 20 year old rookie in SHL.

OEL D then D+1
upload_2020-8-27_23-3-14.png

Karlsson D and D+1
upload_2020-8-27_23-3-48.png

Hedman D-1 and D
upload_2020-8-27_23-4-16.png

Not a whole lot of comparables to use because the high profile Swedish D men came over early and were already playing there. A 0.5 PPG would be progression for Norlinder because he had that rate at a lower level last year.. anything above that would be really good. Not a really high scoring league.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If they thought there was a chance Norlinder gets picked before 64 they wouldnt have done it.
See the drafting of Romanov.

If I remember correctly Timmins was a little uncomfortable, but then relieved when it worked out.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No, they don’t. It’s not needed.

they just need to get the goalie moving laterally, then snipe.

As a goalie, yes, they do. Taking away vision, getting in space that you want freedom to move into, being at risk to deflect pucks or be first to a rebound are all things that you want a goalie to have to put up with and/or be thinking about.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
This kid has quite the offensive IQ , always at the right place in the offensive without cheating too much.

That being said, Claude's never going to give him a chance , I don't see it. Perhaps once CJ retires he may get his opportunity to make the lineup...

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
As a goalie, yes, they do. Taking away vision, getting in space that you want freedom to move into, being at risk to deflect pucks or be first to a rebound are all things that you want a goalie to have to put up with and/or be thinking about.

The guy in front is just a diversion these days. Scheming for the screens, the tips-ins ... hockey orthodoxy. What habs fans still see.

The key these days is to get the goalie moving laterally. You can do it if you have the talent.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This kid has quite the offensive IQ , always at the right place in the offensive without cheating too much.

That being said, Claude's never going to give him a chance , I don't see it. Perhaps once CJ retires he may get his opportunity to make the lineup...

I don't know, freaking Kulak had QUITE the green light it seems lol

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
0.5 PPG would be great in the SHL, but realistically, if he can get more than 0.25 PPG, that's good too. Lots of top Allsvenskan players fail to even produce half of their Allsvenskan PPG in the SHL.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
My hot take : we're gonna like this guy more than we'll like Romanov.

Not sure it's a hot take at this point. Norlinder has the spotlight right now because he's playing games, while Romanov is not. He's grabbing a ton of attention around here now.

Reactions: jaffy27

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The guy in front is just a diversion these days. Scheming for the screens, the tips-ins ... hockey orthodoxy. What habs fans still see.

The key these days is to get the goalie moving laterally. You can do it if you have the talent.

Moving them laterally matters obviously but goalies are athletic and explosive and if they see the pass the entire time, they can get over and make the save.

The guy in front who can hide the pass from view, amplifies the success of that lateral move. Can give an increased chance that a Suzuki shot from the circle goes in. Or deflects a shot from the point. They can also bump back and be a one timer in the immediate slot.

A lot of goals are scored of tips, screens and lateral movement. But you absolutely need someone around the front of the net. Trust me as a goalie that it makes your job a lot more difficult. I stop what I see and I can get ahead of one timers if I see the origin of the pass and the entire movement of it until it gets to the shooter.

Reactions: habsfan891

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Can't wait to watch him develop this year. We don't have anybody like him in our prospect pool (Josh Brook is the most similar, so hopefully he can take a big step this year).

We really do have a great crop of young defensemen on the way. Will be fun to watch in the next 2-3 years when they'll all be fighting for spots.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
My hot take : we're gonna like this guy more than we'll like Romanov.

Romanov was best defenceman at the WJC at 18 and 2nd best at 19 (All-Star). He’s also becoming an NHL regular at 20. Norlinder was the 7th defender on his team at 19 and wasn’t even trusted to take a regular shift by his team. He’s playing in the top league in Sweden for the first time. He has a long way to go to come close to Romanov in my books.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Romanov was best defenceman at the WJC at 18 and 2nd best at 19 (All-Star). He’s also becoming an NHL regular at 20. Norlinder was the 7th defender on his team at 19 and wasn’t even trusted to take a regular shift by his team. He’s playing in the top league in Sweden for the first time. He has a long way to go to come close to Romanov in my books.
Datz why hot take

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Lets hope Norlinder learns how to play without the puck in his own end with Frolunda like CsKA Moskva with Romanov :naughty:

Cause that's the area Norlinder has to figure out. Neutralization and clearing the front of the net. Skill and Skating are one thing but play without the puck is a huge part of a D mans development. I have confidence he will figure that out. If he does, watch out!

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Moving them laterally matters obviously but goalies are athletic and explosive and if they see the pass the entire time, they can get over and make the save.

The guy in front who can hide the pass from view, amplifies the success of that lateral move. Can give an increased chance that a Suzuki shot from the circle goes in. Or deflects a shot from the point. They can also bump back and be a one timer in the immediate slot.

A lot of goals are scored of tips, screens and lateral movement. But you absolutely need someone around the front of the net. Trust me as a goalie that it makes your job a lot more difficult. I stop what I see and I can get ahead of one timers if I see the origin of the pass and the entire movement of it until it gets to the shooter.

if it’s a shot from the point, then yes, you need the screen tip. Traditional net presence.

cross ice pass to someone like Laine, they put someone like Connor there. He’s a 2nd option, and like you say, hides the pass.

when it’s someone like Ovechkin setting up, they don’t care about net presence. The goalie sees all, but can’t stop it.

anyway, bottom line, if the talent is there to snipe, any of those forwards can provide net presence because it’s no longer needed in the traditional sense.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

suggestion: compare both of their pro experiences... apples to apples, rather than pro league vs WJC.

not saying you’re wrong, but your analysis doesn’t tell me much.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
suggestion: compare both of their pro experiences... apples to apples, rather than pro league vs WJC.

not saying you’re wrong, but your analysis doesn’t tell me much.

Oh it's clearly comparing two different playstyles and players. But my point is that Romanov is much further ahead professionally and his pedigree is a lot higher right now with these accolades. Norlinder is exciting for sure, but he's still behind him in that regard.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Out of context, your argument would make sense, but that Swedish blueline was stacked with 1st rounders and was easily one the best ever dressed at that competition...

Norlinder was actually trusted by his coach, was playing ton of minutes on the PK and his coach actually loved him and said he was the ideal extra defenseman to have around and that he would have been be a regular in any other years...

Broberg Soderstrom Bjornfot Lundkvist Sandin, all first rounders, only Ginning was a 2nd rounder and played over Norlinder only because of the size and leadership he was bringing...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Out of context, your argument would make sense, but that Swedish blueline was stacked with 1st rounders and was easily one the best ever dressed at that competition...

Norlinder was actually trusted by his coach, was playing ton of minutes on the PK and his coach actually loved him and said he was the ideal extra defenseman to have around and that he would have been be a regular in any other years...

Broberg Soderstrom Bjornfot Lundkvist Sandin, all first rounders, only Ginning was a 2nd rounder and played over Norlinder only because of the size and leadership he was bringing...

ZdyFb6w.gif

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad