Matthews' wingers cause for concern.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m a big Kadri fan, bit hard to deny he doesn’t look a step behind offensively this season

Statistically he’s also on pace for his worst season in years

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Opinions are like buttholes everybody has one and yours stinks! Kadri isn't even playing right now and most players after being concussed tend to take a while to get back up to speed. While it might not show on the scoreboard Nylander has gotten his game back and has been looking good the past 10 games or so. This hill you've chosen to die on doesn't look good right now.

LOL, is this a rebuttal to my post? I've tried to be objective, and use numbers to support my claims. Your posts have been filled with nothing but subjectivity.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Opinions are like buttholes everybody has one and yours stinks! Kadri isn't even playing right now and most players after being concussed tend to take a while to get back up to speed. While it might not show on the scoreboard Nylander has gotten his game back and has been looking good the past 10 games or so. This hill you've chosen to die on doesn't look good right now.
Looking good at a 33 point /year pace is a bit hard

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Looking good at a 33 point /year pace is a bit hard

The slump at the start of the season is relatively meaningless at this point (other than some folks trying to have petty jabs at a player for a team they supposedly cheer for). He’s locked in for the next five seasons and undeniably has looked great since his scoring has come back and the underlying numbers certainly back up what the eye test tells us. When evaluating effectivess one has to take a longer view of things with a player like this

RLF

May 5, 2014
Put Marleau at center in a checking and defensive role along with Kapanen and Johnsson.

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Marleau-Kapanen
Ennis-Goat-Moore

I don't think Marleau has the initial foot speed to handle coverage in our end. I think he would get beat on coverage a lot. Bad idea to have Marleau at centre in the top 9.imo

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
The slump at the start of the season is relatively meaningless at this point (other than some folks trying to have petty jabs at a player for a team they supposedly cheer for). He’s locked in for the next five seasons and undeniably has looked great since his scoring has come back and the underlying numbers certainly back up what the eye test tells us. When evaluating effectivess one has to take a longer view of things with a player like this
I didn't begin at the beginning of the year. I agree with giving him the benefit of the doubt. I was referring to the last 10 games referenced that the poster cited as the window to which he has been playing well in.
4/10*82=32.8points

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We can dwell over the Nylander contract all we want, but we're stuck with him at $7M/yr. I just hope the egg he's laid in 2019 is just a passing mirage.

Reactions: ToneDog

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
We can dwell over the Nylander contract all we want, but we're stuck with him at $7M/yr. I just hope the egg he's laid in 2019 is just a passing mirage.
He still has a chance to emerge as a hero. Play well in the playoffs and all is forgiven. A stumble might mean a ticket out.

Reactions: ToneDog

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
If you put Marners compete in Matthews boy oh boy what a player that would be.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
LOL, is this a rebuttal to my post? I've tried to be objective, and use numbers to support my claims. Your posts have been filled with nothing but subjectivity.

Subjectivity? hahaha This isn't finite math we're discussing. We're discussing about sports it's nothing but subjective.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner is the better player in 2018/2019. Marner is less injury prone. Marner is far more consistent.

So... how do you convince Marner to take less than $11.6M ?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
3 lines are fine. I have no issues with having 3 lines that can produce. And I have no issues with Willy driving his own line. He can and he will. But ask yourself why he is the ONLY guy without a partner????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
And be honest.
Brown has regressed very badly. And I was a huge Brown supporter as local kid from Toronto and I know his dad Dan pretty well.
Marleau is a HOFer but he is winded quickly now. He is great for a quick burst but then he can't recover fast enough any more so he does what everyone who is in that situation does which is use your skills in moderation.
So is that fair to Willy??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Is it even fair to the TEAM??

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

You’re right. If you just minus out all the times Nylander sucks, I guess he’s pretty good.

Enlightening.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
3 lines are fine. I have no issues with having 3 lines that can produce. And I have no issues with Willy driving his own line. He can and he will. But ask yourself why he is the ONLY guy without a partner????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
And be honest.
Brown has regressed very badly. And I was a huge Brown supporter as local kid from Toronto and I know his dad Dan pretty well.
Marleau is a HOFer but he is winded quickly now. He is great for a quick burst but then he can't recover fast enough any more so he does what everyone who is in that situation does which is use your skills in moderation.
So is that fair to Willy??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Is it even fair to the TEAM??
There are no perfect teams. Every team has its weakness. We just need our best players to step up and fill the holes.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Winger
Doesn't score as many goals

Thats it.
That's fair but how much of a discount will he take?

Patrick Kane is a winger and he would have left Chicago if they tried to pay him less than Toews.

Remember, if the Leafs don't pay Marner, someone else will.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That's fair but how much of a discount will he take?

If the Leafs don't pay him, someone else will.

No, I agree. I think most likely scenerio is Marner gets his 11M (on a 6 to 8 year deal), leaving us no choice but to trade Nylander.

Nylander's value has no doubt gone down, but we might get a player like Pesce, and a prospect like Kuokkanen or a Geekie.

Reactions: dsred

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We put ourselves in a pretty bad spot now negotiating with Marner. In fact I think we completely f***** it right up. I can't see it being recovered. It will be another big overpay. Book it.
He won't sign for less than $11M. Why would he?

The team overpaid for both Nylander and Matthews. There is no fixing that or the ripples it will cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad