Matthews' wingers cause for concern.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It might very well be an effective line. Would have to see it to determine for sure. What does the overall centre ice picture look like though with Kadri on the wing?

Put Marleau at center in a checking and defensive role along with Kapanen and Johnsson.

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Marleau-Kapanen
Ennis-Goat-Moore

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Put Marleau at center in a checking and defensive role along with Kapanen and Johnsson.

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Marleau-Kapanen
Ennis-Goat-Moore

Not sure about utilizing Marleau as a full time centre at this point. Fair enough though.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Marner
Matthews
Tavares
Nylander

please don't say that Kapanen or Johnsson are. That is hilarious.

Who is? Kapanen? Johnsson? Not even close. I think you my have a bias.

I think its close, but I'd place Kadri ahead of Nylander offensively (right now, and maybe next season too).

Johnsson and Kappy aren't all that far behind either...

Reactions: illusory and dsred

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Not sure about utilizing Marleau as a full time centre at this point. Fair enough though.

I know that doing this may not be ideal. But he has played center previously. Already takes draws playing the wing. Is defensively responsible. And is a vet that knows what he has to do for the team.

Listen if Backes in Boston can become a 6 million dollar enforcer due to limited skills at his age. Marleau can definitely convert to center for the betterment of the team at same pay scale!!!!

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think its close, but I'd place Kadri ahead of Nylander offensively (right now, and maybe next season too).

[mod] Kadri is no where as close to Nylander in skill. Not today, tomorrow or ever.

As for Johnsson and Kappy, they have one season and you want them to be at same level as Nylander. Nylander had no training camp and missed a quarter of the regular season and he still skates circles around them at half speed. Its not even close.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Depends on what your definition of offensive player is.

One that is a threat everytime he has the puck on his stick to make something out of nothing!!! Nylander far outweighs Kadri, Johnsson and Kapanen in this. Forget the points.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Your whacked. Kadri is no where as close to Nylander in skill. Not today, tomorrow or ever.

As for Johnsson and Kappy, they have one season and you want them to be at same level as Nylander. Nylander had no training camp and missed a quarter of the regular season and he still skates circles around them at half speed. Its not even close.

LOL... the numbers will support my claim... and what makes you think 'I want Johnny and Kappy to be at the same level as Nylander?'

Fact: Nylander hasn't been able to put up good offensive numbers away from Matthews.
Fact: Kadri has

Reactions: dsred

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
One that is a threat everytime he has the puck on his stick to make something out of nothing!!! Nylander far outweighs Kadri, Johnsson and Kapanen in this. Forget the points.

Agreed 100% but some might base it on results as well. It is why I want Nylander stapled to Matthews' right hip for the rest of the season and playoffs.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
It might very well be an effective line. Would have to see it to determine for sure. What does the overall centre ice picture look like though with Kadri on the wing?

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Marleau-Kapanen
Ennis-Goat-Moore
Petan
Brown

Reactions: Buds17

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
LOL... the numbers will support my claim... and what makes you think 'I want Johnny and Kappy to be at the same level as Nylander?'

Fact: Nylander hasn't been able to put up good offensive numbers away from Matthews.
Fact: Kadri has

Also a fact since you like speaking of them. Kadri has put up 30 goals last season primarily playing with Marner. Tavares is going to put up 40+ which he never has. Fact #2, Kadri only started scoring again this season and became a threat again when Nylander showed up on his line. Fact #3, Kadri wont break 20 goals this season!!

Take those facts to the bank.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I know that doing this may not be ideal. But he has played center previously. Already takes draws playing the wing. Is defensively responsible. And is a vet that knows what he has to do for the team.

Listen if Backes in Boston can become a 6 million dollar enforcer due to limited skills at his age. Marleau can definitely convert to center for the betterment of the team at same pay scale!!!!

I don't know what to make of the Backes situation. Can't imagine anyone not being for the betterment of the team. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on centre Marleau and winger Kadri as that method of improvement. I might be very wrong in my opinion and it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge

You are severely underrating Nylander's abilities. Nylander will be PPG for multiple seasons in his career. The players you compare him to never will be because they have holes in their offensive game. Nylander does not.

Reactions: Menzinger

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Agreed 100% but some might base it on results as well. It is why I want Nylander stapled to Matthews' right hip for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Couple Nylander's late start with his bad luck (posts, playing time, linemates), I think he has faired really well. But I agree Nylander's home is next to Matthews. Its good for both of them.

Does anyone on this board actually think that Tavares and Marner would do the same playing with Johnsson and Kapanen. Or Kadri and Marleau???

Yes Marner worked wonders last season with Marleau and Kadri. But not at the rate he is today with Tavares.

Matthews is doing average this season with the constant rotation of wingers. He needs consistency. Like Marner and Tavares. That for him is Nylander.

Just get it done and stop this nonsense.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You are severely underrating Nylander's abilities. Nylander will be PPG for multiple seasons in his career. The players you compare him to never will be because they have holes in their offensive game. Nylander does not.

Thank you finally someone that knows something about hockey.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Also a fact since you like speaking of them. Kadri has put up 30 goals last season primarily playing with Marner. Tavares is going to put up 40+ which he never has. Fact #2, Kadri only started scoring again this season and became a threat again when Nylander showed up on his line. Fact #3, Kadri wont break 20 goals this season!!

Take those facts to the bank.

Kadri scored 18 goals, 30 points in 33 games with Marner last season. This is a better 30+ game stretch than Nylander has ever played in the NHL, even with Matthews.

Kadri has also scored 30 goal seasons without playing with Marner (Brown and Komarov being his most common linemates that season).

Kadri may not get 20 goals this season, but he's on pace for 21 goals in an 82 game season... this with the some of the same 'anchors' that Nylander is playing with now. Nylander is only scoring at an 11 goal pace...

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Kadri scored 18 goals, 30 points in 33 games with Marner last season. This is a better 30+ game stretch than Nylander has ever played in the NHL, even with Matthews.

Kadri has also scored 30 goal seasons without playing with Marner (Brown and Komarov being his most common linemates that season).

Kadri may not get 20 goals this season, but he's on pace for 21 goals in an 82 game season... this with the some of the same 'anchors' that Nylander is playing with now. Nylander is only scoring at an 11 goal pace...

yeah, but...Nylander...but...ummmm...stuff..good player...handsome..errrr

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I'm not suggesting who WILL be better offensively, or who WILL have a better offensive career. Thats a totally different question. The question we're debating right now is who is a better offensive player RIGHT NOW.

Heck, I'd even agree with you if you were to say that Nylander is a more skilled player with the puck. I'm not denying that. That said, I DO think that Kadri IS currently a more effective offensive player THIS SEASON, and possibly will be next season as well.

I'm not convinced Nylander will be a P/GP player. But that is besides the point... we're talking about who is CURRENTLY the better offensive player.

Thank you finally someone that knows something about hockey.

LOL, his statements had nothing to do with my statements... but whatever...

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm not expecting any line changes from Babs from here until the end of the season. Maybe Nylander shouldn't have taken the first 2 months off and then shown up out of shape. I think the job is taken.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I'm not suggesting who WILL be better offensively, or who WILL have a better offensive career. Thats a totally different question. The question we're debating right now is who is a better offensive player RIGHT NOW.

Heck, I'd even agree with you if you were to say that Nylander is a more skilled player with the puck. I'm not denying that. That said, I DO think that Kadri IS currently a more effective offensive player THIS SEASON, and possibly will be next season as well.

I'm not convinced Nylander will be a P/GP player. But that is besides the point... we're talking about who is CURRENTLY the better offensive player.

LOL, his statements had nothing to do with my statements... but whatever...

Opinions are like buttholes everybody has one and yours stinks! Kadri isn't even playing right now and most players after being concussed tend to take a while to get back up to speed. While it might not show on the scoreboard Nylander has gotten his game back and has been looking good the past 10 games or so. This hill you've chosen to die on doesn't look good right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad