Matthews' wingers cause for concern.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No, I agree. I think most likely scenerio is Marner gets his 11M (on a 6 to 8 year deal), leaving us no choice but to trade Nylander.

Nylander's value has no doubt gone down, but we might get a player like Pesce, and a prospect like Kuokkanen or a Geekie.
It's too bad they didn't trade Nylander before he signed.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Exactly.

The good old, why should I be the sacrificial lamb.
Yes. If I am Marner and they offer me less than $11M/yr, I tell them to pound salt.

I just wish the Leafs had taken a harder line on Nylander/Matthews.

Perhaps a rising Cap will fix the problem.

Reactions: Cobra777

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
He has been awarded huge money and with it comes the expectation of being a player who plays hard every night and produces. He will also have to produce in the upcoming and future playoffs ( which he failed to do last year )

No doubt he is a great player , however the criticism is justified based on inconsistent play .

But it's not. For awhile a yr ago McDavid had an issue with leon on his wing for some reason. How is he supposed to score when his wingers dump it or cant make a pass when hes all alone? As a center he cant fly around as willy nilly as a winger can because of defensive responsibilities.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
The reason why Clark was physical and made big hits is because he usually didn’t have the puck.
You can’t make hits when you have the puck.

Matthews is great at stealing the puck.
Great with the puck in tight spaces.
He’s just being outworked recently.
Mostly due to an injury and/or taking it easy until the playoffs.

I just disagree with the thread that his wingers are a cause for concern.
Kappy and AJ are fine.
Matthews needs to play like himself.
you say Mathews always has the puck, not what I see, people on here and the start of this thread states that his wingers don't get him the puck when he is open, If he had any Wendel Clark style toughness in him, there are tons of opportunity to lay someone out with some big game changing hits

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah exactly why should our local guy take it up the *ss? Meanwhile the Swede and the Yank got the HUGE bucks. It is a very bad CAP situation. In fact probably could not be any worse. We have not won a Cup but we are a CAP team likely trading guys in the summer. And although I hope not likely after 3 straight 1st round exits. I like Dubas but he was a rookie GM put in a very tough spot. F*ck he was out in the middle of the Atlantic without a compass.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
JVR had a few 30 goal and 37 goal campaign and was considered great when he put the puck in the net, but when he was not scoring he was absolutely non relevant in his play with soft one handed stick checks and lazy play, he was also 6'3 not small, anyone starting to see the same trend? 1st season Mathews just gave all and was just awesome he dominated the puck, if we don't have that Mathews and a willing Nylander against Boston this season it will be another 1st round exit as they disappeared last playoff series

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah exactly why should our local guy take it up the *ss? Meanwhile the Swede and the Yank got the HUGE bucks. It is a very bad CAP situation. In fact probably could not be any worse. We have not won a Cup but we are a CAP team likely trading guys in the summer. And although I hope not likely after 3 straight 1st round exits. I like Dubas but he was a rookie GM put in a very tough spot. F*ck he was out in the middle of the Atlantic without a compass.
Well said - minus the vulgarity. ;)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
and in case you guys forgot Marner got screwed over by Lou on his ELC bonuses. Matty got all of his though. you can be sure that grates on Paul. in fact i know it does. and he got screwed over by Babs too (although there is a good reason for that one).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
JVR had a few 30 goal and 37 goal campaign and was considered great when he put the puck in the net, but when he was not scoring he was absolutely non relevant in his play with soft one handed stick checks and lazy play, he was also 6'3 not small, anyone starting to see the same trend? 1st season Mathews just gave all and was just awesome he dominated the puck, if we don't have that Mathews and a willing Nylander against Boston this season it will be another 1st round exit as they disappeared last playoff series
Agree.

Matthews play against Boston will be a huge tell. If he disappears, again... God help us.

Reactions: Cobra777

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
and in case you guys forgot Marner got screwed over by Lou on his ELC bonuses. Matty got all of his though. you can be sure that grates on Paul. in fact i know it does. and he got screwed over by Babs too (although there is a good reason for that one).
Unless Marner wants to take a hometown discount, there is no way he deserves less than Matthews.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Marner will not be taking a home team discount, and the Leafs are unlikely to be able to afford to match the offer sheet he signs.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Matthews certainly could compete harder. His effort in O.T. last night was shameful.
I think his compete is fine. I think he sometimes makes the wrong choices. He has been hearing how great he is at shooting for so long, he forgets that the game is like a chess match and his skills are far greater that just "ghosting out of nowhere".
Listening to Marner talk, he is always saying that the team needs to communicate constantly and better. He is great no because of his skill but because he is plugged into his team mates

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

It was Pridham that screwed him.
There is still a sour taste, not just Paul, the whole family, including Mitch.
They weren't going to sign the deal until Marner stepped in and just wanted to play hockey.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think his compete is fine. I think he sometimes makes the wrong choices. He has been hearing how great he is at shooting for so long, he forgets that the game is like a chess match and his skills are far greater that just "ghosting out of nowhere".
Listening to Marner talk, he is always saying that the team needs to communicate constantly and better. He is great no because of his skill but because he is plugged into his team mates
While I feel his "compete" is lacking, I agree with the rest.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It was Pridham that screwed him.
There is still a sour taste, not just Paul, the whole family, including Mitch.
They weren't going to sign the deal until Marner stepped in and just wanted to play hockey.
They needed the money too. This is not a Hyman and Nylander rich guy family here.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Matthews ain’t a Yankee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad