Matthews vs Pastrnak vs Laine (aka Ovi light)

Who will be the best goalscorer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If were also comparing these three to Ovechkin let's remember that among them Auston Matthews is #2 in goals scored since his rookie season in 2016-17 and that was also Laine's rookie year as well.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They are more likely to battle amongst themselves, flip flopping goal scoring titles more than become the next Ovechkin - which would be to completely dominate over your peers virtually on a yearly basis for 16-17+ years.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is the man here. No explanation needed.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Laines one timer is better, Matthews has the superior wrister.

I'm not sure I even agree with that. I think Laine's shot is superior period. The biggest difference between the two for me is Matthews finds the open ice a lot better to receive those passes to get his shot off, which is a major reason why his wrist shot is deemed so dangerous. Laine straight up beats goalies with his wrist shot 1 on 1, if he had Matthews ability to find the open ice you might see the comparisons to Ovechkin come to light. Laine's long been pretty much a stationary target which makes him easier to cover. If you watch Matthews he's all over in the offensive zone, you have to really keep your eye on him or he'll find those open areas and burn you because he's constantly moving.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Since the 2018/2019 season, goal/gp leaders (not including Ovi):

1) Pasta
2) Matthews
3) Draisaitl

There is very little separation between these 3 as far as what they are producing. And without either one really separating themselves from the rest, it really could go any way.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews and Pasta could fight back and forth for awhile, but Matthews' release is just so effortless I think, like Ovi, he'll age far better than most goalscorers which will be the big difference.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Should have included Dre for this since he won the MVP trophies last year. But yeah, too close to call.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Pasta has the better gpg over the last 2 years but it should be close. I doubt one player will consistently win it evey year like ovechkin.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Matthews, and decidedly. We're in the process of watching this happen, don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

This argument that Laine has a better shot than Matthews just doesn't pass the eye test. Patrik Laine has a great shot, Auston Matthews has an even greater shot. Release, velocity, accuracy - all 3 Auston's is superior and I bet if you were to poll NHL tenders they'd tell you the same thing.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
This argument that Laine has a better shot than Matthews just doesn't pass the eye test.

I would say that Laine's slapshot and 1-timer is probably better, but Matthews is a lot better at shooting with his wrist and while skating. Laine can be pretty easily shut down if teams really focus on him on the PP. Laine is a bit of a throwback as the slapshot is slowly dying out.

I picked Matthews. Pastrnak is great too, but I just feel that his line is perfectly set up for him.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure I even agree with that. I think Laine's shot is superior period. The biggest difference between the two for me is Matthews finds the open ice a lot better to receive those passes to get his shot off, which is a major reason why his wrist shot is deemed so dangerous. Laine straight up beats goalies with his wrist shot 1 on 1, if he had Matthews ability to find the open ice you might see the comparisons to Ovechkin come to light. Laine's long been pretty much a stationary target which makes him easier to cover. If you watch Matthews he's all over in the offensive zone, you have to really keep your eye on him or he'll find those open areas and burn you because he's constantly moving.

This seems like a great description of Laine and what his limitations are. He seems like a guy whose shot can't be stopped when he gets open to take it, but also seems like someone that doesn't get open or find those soft spots in coverage nearly enough to take advantage of his shot.

It's kind of like having a 110 mph slapshot, but having a really long wind up. When you get it off, it blows past goalies. But too often it takes forever to shoot and is either blocked or the goalie can square up to the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad