Matthews vs Kucherov, who would you rather have?

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Toronto had the highest total salary in the NHL this season. Only team above 100 mill in salaries. They are "cheating" the system by front-loading the hell out of contracts to give players incentives to play for them. Tampa "cheated" the system with Kucherov on ltir. Still have a lower total salary than Toronto though... Toronto isnt any better, stop making excuses.
Do you understand salary cap at all?
That is absolutely ridiculous statement. I mean the cap has been around for 15 years now and it seems you don't know even the basics of it.

Player does not receive any extra money if his contract is front loaded. Anyone can do it.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
that was my point, an example of a player coming for the first game on the playoff that had nothing to do with the cap, showing that it is possible and could be a similar case here.
There was no incentive to keep Forsberg off the ice during regular season. In Kuch's case...

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There was no incentive to keep Forsberg off the ice during regular season. In Kuch's case...

Well yes, that why I did choose him has an example of being possible for something like that to happen despite having no incentive, the timing is suspicious but not never seen before special, and this is a shorter season making it more likely.

If the playoff start one week before would he have play is also a different question, has it is quite normal for a player to risk more to play a playoff game than a regular season one.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Only someone truly outside of their mind would question the Kucherov injury. He is one of the most intense players I have seen, he wouldn't sit on his ass and watch his team play all season if he was fully healthy.

I would've leaned toward Matthews at one point last season, but Kucherov's playoffs elimimated any doubt. He was downright incredible. Easy call until proven otherwise.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Do you understand salary cap at all?
That is absolutely ridiculous statement. I mean the cap has been around for 15 years now and it seems you don't know even the basics of it.

Player does not receive any extra money if his contract is front loaded. Anyone can do it.
I know it very well, seems like you need to open your eyes as to why they are front-loading contracts. The earlier you get money, the more you get back from investing it. 10 % profits a year on a front-loaded contract is millions in profits for the highest paid players pretty quick, specially when you account for compound interest.

Anyone can do it but not many teams can afford to front-load contracts. Anyone can also do what Tampa did with an injured player that needs surgery.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
I know it very well, seems like you need to open your eyes as to why they are front-loading contracts. The earlier you get money, the more you get back from investing it. 10 % profits a year on a front-loaded contract is millions in profits for the highest paid players pretty quick, specially when you account for compound interest.

Anyone can do it but not many teams can afford to front-load contracts. Anyone can also do what Tampa did with an injured player that needs surgery.
Amount of paid salary remains the same. Even Nashville Predators back in the day could handle Weber's front loaded offer sheet from Philly. You'll save the money later on, when actual salary is under the cap.

Anyone can keep player off the ice until playoffs start, as long as he's been in surgery?

Apparently so, now that Tampa has done it. It's a low moral move that circumvents cap nevertheless. And it helps you to build over the cap team to playoffs, something that front loading doesn't do.

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
His resume show the impact he has on the ice, no?

Edit: I pick Kucherov
Resume has a lot to do with team, system, management, there's so many more factors. It's not a very difficult concept... It's like understanding Bill Russel's resume is better than MJ if you just compare rings, but you watch how dominant they were at their sport, MJ was more dominant because he dictated the game more.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Kucherov is a wizard, this feels like a bait topic.

Even with age, i would take Kucherov, the way he plays the PP alone will win more games

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Right now Kucherov is obviously the better player. In a couple years? Big question. Matthews should figure out his playoff problems, though.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Most players peak at a certain age and tail off after a while because their physical dominance diminishes. Kucherov doesn't rely on his physical acumen though, instead majority of his plays are done by Hockey IQ. Something that will still be there when he's in his mid 30's.
I mean, look at him right now for proof.

He looks like he's still laboring from hip surgery and he's put up 14 points in 9 games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Matthews had a playoff resume, I think it would be really close. He's an amazing goal-scorer, but it's yet to fully translate when it matters most. Kucherov has really only ever had two bad series in his playoff career.

He's clearly not close to a hundred percent right now and still leading the team in scoring by a half mile.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I will take the playoff performer (Kuch) any day over a guy who is great in the regular season, when no one really checked with intensity.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Playoffs are what matters and Matthews has been a no-show in the playoffs his entire career. This isn't just a couple seasons . . . this is 5 years now. This is what Matthews is.

Its clearly Kucherov and its not close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad