Matthews vs Kucherov, who would you rather have?

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
Both are in my expert, infallible, opinion, franchise worthy level players.

If you did a fantasy draft with a clean slate, who would you take and why? Who has the better overall game and makes more of an impact on the ice? Includes regular season, clutch time, and everything that goes into building a championship team. Do not include salary cap, just want to see what people think of their pure talents with respect to each other.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
That depends on whether you want a guy who wants and knows how to win, or want a guy who will put up great regular season numbers and personal accolades but achieve nothing beyond that.
i.e. Do you want a team guy, or a guy playing for himself.

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
One has a hart and a stanley cup.
We ain't talking resume bud. We talking about game impact. Kuchy has a stacked team. Matthews snipes more goals, is bigger, and can carry a shit franchise with incompetent management to the playoffs.

Kucherov still better overall in a vacuum though in my estimation when taking their talents today.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
We ain't talking resume bud. We talking about game impact. Kuchy has a stacked team. Matthews snipes more goals, is bigger, and can carry a shit franchise with incompetent management to the playoffs.

Kucherov still better overall in a vacuum though in my estimation when taking their talents today.

Kucherov does more in the playoffs. I don’t know why you wouldn’t compare resumes in a thread about comparing players.

Reactions: SoupNazi and DFC

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

When comparing players that are that good, hardware is often times the deciding factor. Kucherov has more as of now.

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I've been assured on many occasions that Toronto has better top end talent and better depth than the Lightning.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I dunno. I think I'd pick Matthews.

The cup is pretty silly.

If Matthews was traded for Kucherov, I don't think Kuch powers the Leafs out of the first round either.

And Tampa is a team that can miss Stamkos, and still win a cup. Adding Matthews certainly wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: hoglund and Bronxxx

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
I've been assured on many occasions that Toronto has better top end talent and better depth than the Lightning.
Right, cuz Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Vasi, Point, Johnson, Gourde, Palat, Killorn, Sergachev, Cirelli.
OMFG, this is actually pissing me off how stacked you guys are. And a lot of these players were 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or non-drafted, irrelevant players before they came to you. f***ing bullshit, how you guys develop players, keep them, and get them on a good team friendly deals. f*** THE LIGHTNING and their competence.

Ahem sorry. Anyways, what clowns were saying Toronto had better top end talent and depth? Lightning literally have depth, elite talent, and chemistry at every facet of the game. Offense, defense, goatlending. My gawd, Maple Leaf fans are insufferable buffoons to think such a thing.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Normally I would say go Centre but Kuch is no regular star winger. This is a do-everything winger (shooter, passer and defensive stud) this is Kuch by a fair bit. Honestly Matthews always just looks like he in slow motion maybe because he's a big guy? However, I just don't see the effort from him other than when he's shooting. He really needs to work on his conditioning.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Normally I would say go Centre but Kuch is no regular star winger. This is a do-everything winger (shooter, passer and defensive stud) this is Kuch by a fair bit. Honestly Matthews always just looks like he in slow motion maybe because he's a big guy? However, I just don't see the effort from him other than when he's shooting. He really needs to work on his conditioning.
I always thought Matthews was going to turn into a Kopitar-type player - really use his size on both ends of the ice. That doesn't seem to be materializing - feels like he bought into his own hype too much to play a complete game.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The only reason to pick Matthews is age.

Kucherov has proven he can do 128 points. Matthews has never played at that level.
Kucherov has proven he can lead his team to Stanley Cup, leading league in playoff points. Matthews has never done anything close to as good in playoffs.

Matthews isn't a huge gap behind Kucherov - and he's improving, and goals count a lot, and his consistency since day 1 bodes well for future, and he's a center - so knowing all of that, if you decide to take Matthews due to age, I think that's reasonable.

If it's for ~1-3 years, it's a no brainer to take Kucherov though. Best case scenario - he continues to be better than Matthews. Worst case - they're about the same.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
For the Rangers it would obviously be Matthews, the Rangers biggest strength is on the wings and he'd make us an instant Cup contender

Oh shit I forgot for just a second

Actually I am inclined to say Matthews will have his "and Phil Kessel is now a Stanley Cup champion" as soon as he is out of Toronto

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya, the age difference is something to consider, but if you’ve got like a 3 year window or something, this isn’t close, at least when the games mean something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad