Matthews vs Kucherov, who would you rather have?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Let's remove age from equation.

I still take Matthews.

The only thing I'd consider taking Kucherov is the lower cap hit. However if Kucherov was in Toronto he would have taken more so still Matthews.

Give me the better player or in my opinion the better player.

Also no slight to Kucherov because he is a beast.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Let's remove age from equation.

I still take Matthews.

The only thing I'd consider taking Kucherov is the lower cap hit. However if Kucherov was in Toronto he would have taken more so still Matthews.

Give me the better player or in my opinion the better player.

Also no slight to Kucherov because he is a beast.

If Kucherov was in Toronto instead of Matthews, you would be in the second round right now.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Kucherov, not close. He has outproduced Matthews both in regular season and playoffs. Kucherov is elite in the playoffs as well as regular season whereas Matthews has had disappointing playoffs career so far.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I’d take Matthews. I know, I know…hear me out.

Kucherov is the better player currently and obviously more proven in the playoffs. He’s also 2 weeks away from being 28. Contract running till he’s 34 and Matthews hasn’t even entered his prime yet.

Things that could sway me towards Kucherov is if Matthews expressed any interest in moving as a UFA. Otherwise I take the franchise center that will be in contention year in year out for the Rocket.
How do you know Matthews hasn't entered his prime? Maybe he is past his prime already.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
We ain't talking resume bud. We talking about game impact. Kuchy has a stacked team. Matthews snipes more goals, is bigger, and can carry a shit franchise with incompetent management to the playoffs.

Kucherov still better overall in a vacuum though in my estimation when taking their talents today.

His resume show the impact he has on the ice, no?

Edit: I pick Kucherov

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Not a Leafs fan and was actively cheering for the Canadiens to win the series.

Enjoy the assumption though.

Matthews had 5 points in Seven games.

Statistically Kucherov has been an over a PPG player in the playoffs. Lets assume for a moment that Toronto got him. I guarantee you he would have more than 5 points in Seven games. Against Montreal, in 7 games and being paired with Marner he would of gotten around 10 to 12 points in just as many games. That would be the difference between allowing Montreal to fight back to take the series, and closing the casket when they were down and out.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Matthews for the age difference, but otherwise I'd pick a healthy Kucherov for a playoff run over Matthews

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Kuch. One thing people don't seem to want to say, but is 100% true is that Kuch makes players he plays with better. Matthews doesn't.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Great timing for this thread lmao. Take the guy who performs in the playoffs. Luckily for Matthews he has time change peoples minds

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Both are in my expert, infallible, opinion, franchise worthy level players.

If you did a fantasy draft with a clean slate, who would you take and why? Who has the better overall game and makes more of an impact on the ice? Includes regular season, clutch time, and everything that goes into building a championship team. Do not include salary cap, just want to see what people think of their pure talents with respect to each other.

this is a joke post right? Matthews never performs in the playoffs and Kuch does. Kuch all dam day only Leafs fans would rather have Matthews

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I dunno. I think I'd pick Matthews.

The cup is pretty silly.

If Matthews was traded for Kucherov, I don't think Kuch powers the Leafs out of the first round either.

And Tampa is a team that can miss Stamkos, and still win a cup. Adding Matthews certainly wouldn't hurt.

What's silly is thinking Matthews would perform on another team when he couldn't even do it on his team.

Matthews is not a playoff player and Tampa doesn't have their cup with instead of Kucherov. You don't replace one of the league's best playoff performers with a choker and think the results would stay the same.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Matthews had 5 points in Seven games.

Statistically Kucherov has been an over a PPG player in the playoffs. Lets assume for a moment that Toronto got him. I guarantee you he would have more than 5 points in Seven games. Against Montreal, in 7 games and being paired with Marner he would of gotten around 10 to 12 points in just as many games. That would be the difference between allowing Montreal to fight back to take the series, and closing the casket when they were down and out.

I am very happy you have used a 7 game sample size to decide who is a better player.

Anyways ima be over here as a fan of neither team and pick the better player.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The only thing that gives me pause is the center versus wing thing. I think teams that are deep down the middle are better (generally) than teams that are deep on the wing.

Having said that, I think Kucherov's just a guy who is better at making those around him better because he's a much better playmaker. If Matthews isn't scoring goals, he's just not going to be much of an impact because he's not generating a bunch of chances for his linemates to cash in on.

Reactions: Bolt32

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I am very happy you have used a 7 game sample size to decide who is a better player.

Anyways ima be over here as a fan of neither team and pick the better player.

Matthews isn't though. It's like the law of gravity. You can choose not to believe in Gravity, but its still there. You can choose to believe Matthews is better than Kucherov, but Kucherov is still the better player.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This completely depends on the make-up of your club. But assuming we're starting from scratch today, I would take Matthews over Kucherov 10x out of 10. I will always take an elite centerman over an elite winger, especially when the centerman is 4 years younger and can score 50-60 goals.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Lol give me Kucherov everytime. It's not even close. Are leafs fans actually picking Mathews man the homerism and overconfidence is still there even after the disaster. Amazing!!

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
People really arent taking into consideration the fact Kucherov is like 4+ years older

Compare them both at 23 ainec

People have been mentioning the age. And how's it not close at 23? In 2017 (around when he would have been 23), he had a 100 point season and had already been the backbone of a run to the cup finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad