Matthews vs Kucherov, who would you rather have?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Kucherov. He took the Russian Stereotype that the NHL has and pissed all over it. I love it. At the end of the day in the Playoffs, Kucherov dominates more times than not. Matthews on the other hand.....

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Matthews is 4 years younger and Kucherov plays in a team that makes the playoffs easily without him.

I do think Kucherov is probably the better player now, but i’m fairly certain that Matthews will still get better as time goes on, and is also a center.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d take Matthews. I know, I know…hear me out.

Kucherov is the better player currently and obviously more proven in the playoffs. He’s also 2 weeks away from being 28. Contract running till he’s 34 and Matthews hasn’t even entered his prime yet.

Things that could sway me towards Kucherov is if Matthews expressed any interest in moving as a UFA. Otherwise I take the franchise center that will be in contention year in year out for the Rocket.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

Kucherov is the better player currently and obviously more proven in the playoffs. He’s also 2 weeks away from being 28. Contract running till he’s 34 and Matthews hasn’t even entered his prime yet.

Things that could sway me towards Kucherov is if Matthews expressed any interest in moving as a UFA. Otherwise I take the franchise center that will be in contention year in year out for the Rocket.

Most players peak at a certain age and tail off after a while because their physical dominance diminishes. Kucherov doesn't rely on his physical acumen though, instead majority of his plays are done by Hockey IQ. Something that will still be there when he's in his mid 30's.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Most players peak at a certain age and tail off after a while because their physical dominance diminishes. Kucherov doesn't rely on his physical acumen though, instead majority of his plays are done by Hockey IQ. Something that will still be there when he's in his mid 30's.

I don’t expect a quick drop off but I also don’t know if he can stay at the top of his game the entire duration of the contract. Most players don’t well into their 30’s. Obviously there’s some players who are the exception to the rule.

I’d just have more confidence in Matthews staying elite during that time frame. I also think he can improve and that we likely have yet to see his best season.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
It depends. If I

If you use the age logic, you will always go for a younger player. I think the question was about NOW.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I always thought Matthews was going to turn into a Kopitar-type player - really use his size on both ends of the ice. That doesn't seem to be materializing - feels like he bought into his own hype too much to play a complete game.
Well if I remember correctly he does have shoulder issues hence doesn't want to get physical?? I don't know he seems like he's just a shooter to me. His game has never really improved on the play-making or defensive side. Guy can score there is no doubt there but he could be so much more.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Depends of compisition of the team. But iverall Kucherov. He seems to have god leadership and ” warzone” attitude. Matthews is all good and that, but if Im playing an important match, I chose Kuch. He can do things others cant do

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Matthews. Would be Kucherov by an absolute landslide if he was a center but you don't build teams based on wingers.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Depends of compisition of the team. But iverall Kucherov. He seems to have god leadership and ” warzone” attitude. Matthews is all good and that, but if Im playing an important match, I chose Kuch. He can do things others cant do

Definitely a case by case basis.

A team like the Rangers who already has Panarin, Kreider and Buchnevich with Kravstov, Kakko and Laf on the come up obviously take Matthews.

A team like the Islanders with solid center depth and seemingly one elite winger for Barzal away from being a top top contender would take Kuch. A team like the Devils with their two young potential franchise centers takes Kucherov.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Kucherov. Better in the regular season, million times better in the playoffs, has peaked at a level Matthews hasn't sniffed. Easy choice.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Kucherov has outperformed Matthews every season that they've played (with the exception of this year, where Kucherov sat out the season) and has playoff pedigree to boot. He also has an Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay within the last few years, a peak Matthews will probably never reach.

Not a hard answer here.

Oh shit I forgot for just a second

Actually I am inclined to say Matthews will have his "and Phil Kessel is now a Stanley Cup champion" as soon as he is out of Toronto
Unfortunately, Crosby and Malkin are too old to carry any more passengers to a Cup. With the way the cap is now, I don't see a scenario where Matthews can go to a team where he's the third best player and gets to play on the third line of a contender.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kuch. Best vision and creativity in the game arguably. Makes other players on his line better. Just the better allrounder. Plus his playoff experience and record.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Love Kucherov but I take Matthews.
23 years old
Franchise #1center
Best goal scoring center in the NHL and top3 goal scoring in NHL.
Solid defensively.
Big body.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don’t expect a quick drop off but I also don’t know if he can stay at the top of his game the entire duration of the contract. Most players don’t well into their 30’s. Obviously there’s some players who are the exception to the rule.

I’d just have more confidence in Matthews staying elite during that time frame. I also think he can improve and that we likely have yet to see his best season.
Something something Patrick Kane. Probably Kuch's best current comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad