Matthews Vs Eichel Vs MacKinnon Vs Barkov Vs Draisaitl

Best of the 5

• Total voters

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Eichel is easily the better player overall, I don't even think it's close to be honest.

Agreed

I don't know how anybody could have Drai above Eichel lol Jack is criminally underrated on these boards. The amount of natural ability is off the charts. I do believe Matty is on another level, but Jack is a close 2nd on this list.

The rest are the rest. All great players in their own right.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Agreed

I don't know how anybody could have Drai above Eichel lol Jack is criminally underrated on these boards. The amount of natural ability is off the charts. I do believe Matty is on another level, but Jack is a close 2nd on this list.

The rest are the rest. All great players in their own right.

MacKinnon though.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
MacKinnon though.

I hear ya, and I really like Mack, a LOT.

He had a fantastic year last year, and if that is repeated (and Matty regresses) I think he will be above him.

At this point, age and career accomplishments considered, Mack has the edge last year, but I don't see him being in the same player class overall as Matty.

I will say this, I am excited to see what both these players will be going forward.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I hear ya, and I really like Mack, a LOT.

He had a fantastic year last year, and if that is repeated (and Matty regresses) I think he will be above him.

At this point, age and career accomplishments considered, Mack has the edge last year, but I don't see him being in the same player class overall as Matty.

I will say this, I am excited to see what both these players will be going forward.

Yeah I believe Matthews will be better than MacKinnon, but I don't think Eichel will be.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yeah I believe Matthews will be better than MacKinnon, but I don't think Eichel will be.

Eichel could surprise a lot of people. He has all the tools to be in the top 3 forward wise, I just think it's between the ears for him most times, but the talent is super elite.

We are pretty lucky being able to see all these fantastic young players, and the next few drafts will keep that pipeline flowing.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Never mind voting for the guy with a top 2 finish in Hart votes and a 100 points season, heh, Leafs fans ?
Mackinnon's never scored 100 points, and there's nothing wrong with thinking that Matthews will be better than that, he's looking like it so far this season and he's been better than Mackinnon to start their careers by far.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Mackinnon's never scored 100 points, and there's nothing wrong with thinking that Matthews will be better than that, he's looking like it so far this season and he's been better than Mackinnon to start their careers by far.
Mackinnon has 100+ points over his 75 last games.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
This is kind of ironic given that in the Matthews/Barzal discussions, Leaf fans were quick to point out you couldn't compare Matthews' rookie year to Barzal's because Barzal was older as a rookie.
The difference isn’t age it’s your Draft + years. Having a late/early birthday is completely out of the players control. How good/ready they are post draft is all up to them.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I guess pace only applies to players who play for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Pace is one thing, doing it is another. Nobody calls Matthew an 83 point center, you guys love to call him a 60 point center. No Leaf fan calls Matthews and 80 point center for the same reason Mackinnon isn't a 100 point center.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Pace is one thing, doing it is another. Nobody calls Matthew an 83 point center, you guys love to call him a 60 point center. No Leaf fan calls Matthews and 80 point center for the same reason Mackinnon isn't a 100 point center.

But we got berated that “Marner could score 90 points next season!! He scored at a 100 point pace from January!!”

Just saying.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
But we got berated that “Marner could score 90 points next season!! He scored at a 100 point pace from January!!”

Just saying.
You seriously need to be explained the difference between saying someone could get 90 points next season vs saying someone actually had a 100 point season when they didn't?

Marner has played at a 100 point pace the last 50 games I believe, whether that holds up is to be determined but.

I have no problems with anyone saying Mackinnon can score 100 points this year, but in reality, he has not scored 100 points in a season in the NHL.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You seriously need to be explained the difference between saying someone could get 90 points next season vs saying someone actually had a 100 point season when they didn't?

Marner has played at a 100 point pace the last 50 games I believe, whether that holds up is to be determined but.

I have no problems with anyone saying Mackinnon can score 100 points this year, but in reality, he has not scored 100 points in a season in the NHL.

But people were justifying their reasoning with his pace. So does pace mean anything or not? Obviously Mack didn’t score 100 pts last season. But he paced for it.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
But people were justifying their reasoning with his pace. So does pace mean anything or not? Obviously Mack didn’t score 100 pts last season. But he paced for it.

Pace does not mean he did something. Matthews was on pace for 45 goals and 83 points in his second season, nobody says he's a 80 point center however. Marner's been at a 100 point pace for 50 games now going back to last year, so can you say you predict 90 point for him? By all means but he hasn't done it yet, ditto for Mackinnon

Mackinnon was on pace for 100 last year, he did not however, reach 100 points or have a 100 point season.

You can justify your predictions with pace, you can't call a player something based on that pace though.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I always enjoy these threads. They are among the most valuable NHL assets, but why does everyone forget Barzal?

TOP 10 most valuable NHL assets

1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. Mackinnon
4. Barkov
5. Eichel
6. Barzal
7. Kucherov
8. Laine
9. Hedman
10. Jones

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Pace does not mean he did something. Matthews was on pace for 45 goals and 83 points in his second season, nobody says he's a 80 point center however. Marner's been at a 100 point pace for 50 games now going back to last year, so can you say you predict 90 point for him? By all means but he hasn't done it yet, ditto for Mackinnon

Mackinnon was on pace for 100 last year, he did not however, reach 100 points or have a 100 point season.

You can justify your predictions with pace, you can't call a player something based on that pace though.

You can't see the difference between extrapolating for 3 points, and extrapolating for 40 points?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
You can't see the difference between extrapolating for 3 points, and extrapolating for 40 points?
Matthews was 20 points off his pace from last year, had 63, on pace for 83. And if you were actually reading the conversation, you'd know that the first poster said that Mackinnon had a 100 point season. He did not have a 100 point season.

It's okay to predict Matthews or Mackinnon will be 100 point players based on what they've done in the past, but turning pace into what the player actually did that season is the error.

Did Brad Marchand have a 100 point season last year? 85 in 68 and on pace for 102.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Matthews was 20 points off his pace from last year, had 63, on pace for 83. And if you were actually reading the conversation, you'd know that the first poster said that Mackinnon had a 100 point season. He did not have a 100 point season.

It's okay to predict Matthews or Mackinnon will be 100 point players based on what they've done in the past, but turning pace into what the player actually did that season is the error.

Did Brad Marchand have a 100 point season last year? 85 in 68 and on pace for 102.

Arguing Mackinnon isn't a 100 point player is just a matter of semantics though. He scored 97 in 75. With such a large sample, it isn't exactly a big leap to assume he could have scored 3 points in the final 7 games.

With Matthews even if you extrapolated his pace last year to a full 82 games, you still don't get 100 points. So I don't even know why he's being brought up.

It's an absurd argument you're making and it doesn't really prove anything.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Arguing Mackinnon isn't a 100 point player is just a matter of semantics though. He scored 97 in 75. With such a large sample, it isn't exactly a big leap to assume he could have scored 3 points in the final 7 games.

With Matthews even if you extrapolated his pace last year to a full 82 games, you still don't get 100 points. So I don't even know why he's being brought up.

It's an absurd argument you're making and it doesn't really prove anything.
Jesus...read the thread lmao

Matthews numbers last year extrapolated are 45 goals and 83 points, the reason he was brought up is because despite the numbers he was on pace for, he's not a 80 point center as the rest of you want to make it clear with the whole 69 point center bs or the 60 point center stuff.

That same logic can be applied for Mackinnon, he never hit 100 in a season, unless we're calling Marchand a 100 point player now too. Marchand played 6 less games than Mackinnon, Matthews played 12 less. Pretty funny how we can't extrapolate through 76% of the season or 83% of the season in Marchand's case but we can extrapolate and assume with 90% of the season. I mean do you seriously think someone with 85 points in 68 games can't reach 100 if were healthy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad