Matthews Vs Eichel Vs MacKinnon Vs Barkov Vs Draisaitl

Best of the 5

• Total voters

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don’t know why or how Draisaitl is being considered here... he’s not in the same league as the guys above.

I have all the respect in the world for Barkov who’s a great young 2 way Centre who will without a doubt win his fair share of Selke trophies, and MacKinnon who looked incredible last year, but this is Matthews

While he’s not as good as Barkov defensively at this point, I’d say he’s a close 2nd compared to these guys

Also he is the best goal scorer of the Bunch and has looked absolutely dominant so far this season (3 games is an extremely small sample size) but Babcock said it himself the kid is on another level this year

I expect big things from Eichel as well, but this is Matthews
This is correct for the most part, although I dont hold Matthews as highly as you do.

Drai is a tier below all of these guys in all honesty.

But the others are all extremely close, with Matthews just barely edging out Mack/Barkov/Eich.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Wrong, in Mackinnon's rookie year he had 63 points in 82 games and followed that up with 10 in 7 playoff games, giving him 73 points in 89 games.

Matthews had 69 points in 82 games and followed that up with 5 points in 6 games, giving him 74 points in 88 games.

So MacKinnon had an equally impressive year being a full year younger.

Reactions: RareDangles

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Did this board finally wake up and see the light, or are they just jumping the gun on a 3 game sample size?

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Both were the same age and Matthews had the more impressive season and way better sophmore season.
They were not the same age. Matthews was 16 days short of being a year older. And 15 days short of a year with Barkov.

Reactions: RareDangles

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
They were not the same age. Matthews was 16 days short of being a year older. And 15 days short of a year with Barkov.
You're arguing semantics...Him being a late birthday, Mackinnon being a late birthday has no bearing on how they performed in their rookie years.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Did this board finally wake up and see the light, or are they just jumping the gun on a 3 game sample size?
I think it’s more 100% of Leaf fans with the largest fan base voting Matthews and the rest splitting the vote between the various options. In a head to head vote Mac would still win as he just recently did. Hard to ignore his last season which is just so much better than the other options.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You're arguing semantics...Him being a late birthday, Mackinnon being a late birthday has no bearing on how they performed in their rookie years.

This is kind of ironic given that in the Matthews/Barzal discussions, Leaf fans were quick to point out you couldn't compare Matthews' rookie year to Barzal's because Barzal was older as a rookie.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Mackinnon/Matthews
Barkov
Eichel
Draisaitl

Voted Matthews, I think the top 4 are really close, Draisaitl is a bit behind but also an excellent player. I think in a few years he is going to be an absolute stud as well.

2tbcxmV

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
1. Eichel
2. Matthews

3. Barkov
4. Mackinnon

5. Draisaitl

Eichel is gonna have a big year and make his detractors look very stupid.

Eichel is arguably the worst of the bunch, altough id have him 4th. putting him above matthews or mackinnon is beyond silly. he is gonna rake on the PP, yet get comntinued to get hammered at ES. -28 this year and last over 70 games is ugly

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Eichel is arguably the worst of the bunch, altough id have him 4th. putting him above matthews or mackinnon is beyond silly. he is gonna rake on the PP, yet get comntinued to get hammered at ES. -28 this year and last over 70 games is ugly

There is no way he's arguably behind Draisaitl though.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
There is no way he's arguably behind Draisaitl though.

Draisaitls best season was 29g/77pts in 82 games
Eichel 25g/64pts in 67 games

the case could easily be made, especially for how bad Eichel (and the sabres in general) have been terrible at 5 on 5

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Mcdavid can get his 110 pts, but the oilers arent making the playoffs so he is out

Taylor Hall won with 39g/93pts so if Matthews gets 50, he is getting nominated

What if Tavares gets 50 too? Will make it tougher.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Draisaitls best season was 29g/77pts in 82 games
Eichel 25g/64pts in 67 games

the case could easily be made, especially for how bad Eichel (and the sabres in general) have been terrible at 5 on 5

Eichel is easily the better player overall, I don't even think it's close to be honest. Draisaitl played a lot with McDavid that season too, Eichel carries his teams offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad