Matthews Vs Boeser (Goals)

Who will score more goals in their career?

• Matthews

Votes: 143 64.4%
  • Boeser

Votes: 79 35.6%

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Matthews is better, but not so much so to spend my time arguing the hypothetical.

I just think it's hilarious you still try to pretend you have some unbiased opinion. Everyone got tired of your schtick on the Leaf board, so you changed your name and took it to the main.

Look forward to your hilarious game in every thread involving a Leaf

And you really think people that see Boeser's actual 21 goals already and high potential as being biased for picking him here? Someone mentioned arrogance here, but it sure is not the Boeser fans. You just proved this point.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
And you really think people that see Boeser's actual 21 goals already and high potential as being biased for picking him here? Someone mentioned arrogance here, but it sure is not the Boeser fans. You just proved this point.

If I didn't have 100s of threads of evidence I suppose you're garbage might fly. But this is the same crap you always pull.

It's not arrogant to point out the obvious.

Reactions: Garthinater

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I didn't have 100s of threads of evidence I suppose you're garbage might fly. But this is the same crap you always pull.

It's not arrogant to point out the obvious.

If you want to play it that way, I could point to the same crap you guys always pull. When a player threatens a Leafs player in a poll, the Leafs bias card is always pulled. All those that followed the Calder last year know this. So spare us the persecution complex replies and let's stick to hockey. Boeser is a already a 21 goal scorer this season, and he still has over half the season to play. And Boeser fans are the ones that are arrogant here?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
If you want to play it that way, I could point to the same crap you guys always pull. When a player threatens a Leafs player in a poll, the Leafs bias card is always pulled. All those that followed the Calder last year know this. So spare us the persecution complex replies and let's stick to hockey. Boeser is a already a 21 goal scorer this season, and he still has over half the season to play. And Boeser fans are the ones that are arrogant here?

I didn't say you were arrogant, it's the total lack of integrity in your every opinion. If it was just this thread/poll/opinion, I wouldn't care, or even notice.

I'm not persecuted, I'm laughing at your attempts to pretend you have no agenda, interactif.

Boeser is a great young player, but I doubt he shoots over 20% for very long. Certainly not his career

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just so you'e aware 2/3 disagree with you so I wouldn't call it a coin flip or a small edge to brock
Yes two thirds think Matthews will score more goals over their careers which I agree with. I already said in an earlier post that I think Matthews has too big a lead right now for Boeser to catch up.
My comment was that on a go forward basis both look like they will be close in goals. Hence a coin flip.
Again we're talking about goals not who will be the better player.
I honestly don't see why some Leaf fans get so upset by this.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I didn't say you were arrogant, it's the total lack of integrity in your every opinion. If it was just this thread/poll/opinion, I wouldn't care, or even notice.

I'm not persecuted, I'm laughing at your attempts to pretend you have no agenda, interactif.

Boeser is a great young player, but I doubt he shoots over 20% for very long. Certainly not his career
i doubt he shoots over 20% either but I expect his shots per game to go up just like most snipers. That's generally how it works as you get more minutes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Are you saying no here but me has an agenda? My agenda if you can call it this, is Boeser is a terrific goal scoring talent. He and Laine are the best pure goal scorers I have seen in quite some time of following hockey. It's pretty obvious for anyone to see, if they put down the stats sheets citing shooting %'s. Where Matthews is 17.4% but I have yet to see a Boeser fan say this is unsustainable for Matthews as Leafs fans are for Boeser. So again, the arrogance you are speaking of is somewhat misplaced is it not?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Any reason why you hold Karlsson in higher esteem based on his track record over Matthews, yet are incapable of doing the same for Matthews v Boeser?

The ridiculousness of this idea of choosing Boeser is based on Boeser’s pace being microscopically ahead of Matthews’ rookie season, despite being older and despite the tiny sample size and no track record as a phenom prospect. Funny how those advocating for Boeser now wouldn’t grant the same benefit to Matthews when he is compared to anyone who’s ever scored over 69 points. And Matthews actually had the track record of being a prospect phenom.

Lastly, Karlsson was indeed a flavor of the month as it pertained to the comparison with Matthews. You don’t see any Karlsson polls these days, do you? Matthews is the constant around these polls because he is the standard by which new flavor of the month players are compared. People want to compare their favorite players with the best. When Boeser is the standard day after day and month after month by which others are compared, you will know that Boeser has made it over Matthews. Not before. Logic 101.

I never said Karlsson is automatically better based on track record. There's nothing wrong with comparing Matthews to Karlsson and using his age, ability and underlying numbers to project his level, just as there's nothing wrong with doing the same for Boeser and Matthews. The issue is calling whoever Matthews is compared to the "flavour of the month", because it most certainly isn't the player with years of established play at an elite level above what Matthews has shown so far. Matthews gets a lot of threads and polls because he's a shiny new toy for both the league and the league's largest fanbase that's been desperate for hope for over a decade, and in their overly enthusiastic praise for him, have turned his abilities into a lively debate. Its not because he's the "standard" by which players are now compared, that's ludicrous. The Karlsson talk has died down because he has had a poor year returning from major injury, not because he's no longer the "flavour of the month". He's still played at a higher level than Matthews has so far in his career, and is still largely seen as the better player.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
i doubt he shoots over 20% either but I expect his shots per game to go up just like most snipers. That's generally how it works as you get more minutes.

Just to be clear, I think Boeser is a great young player. I just think Matthews is better.
I expect you'll find Matthews generates plenty of shots, from high danger areas, without crazy ice time. So I still think he'll score more.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
his draft +3 rookie season has been better than matthews draft + 1 rookie season on a prorated basis.
Lets see if he can get 40 goals, even though doing it as a 21 year old winger isnt quite as impressive as a 19 year old C is it?

You keep calling him 21 when he's 20 and this would be considered his age 20 season.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Are you saying no here but me has an agenda? My agenda if you can call it this, is Boeser is a terrific goal scoring talent. He and Laine are the best pure goal scorers I have seen in quite some time of following hockey. It's pretty obvious for anyone to see, if they put down the stats sheets citing shooting %'s. Where Matthews is 17.4% but I have yet to see a Boeser fan say this is unsustainable for Matthews as Leafs fans are for Boeser. So again, the arrogance you are speaking of is somewhat misplaced is it not?

You're priceless.
Your post history is not hidden, everyone can see it. Every leaf related thread, there you are, always against the leaf. It's the same old interactif just a different board.

Matthews shoots from in tight to the net, the "hard to play" areas that he makes his living in. I would expect someone shooting from in close to have a higher percentage, if other things were equal.

Reactions: Menzinger

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You're priceless.
Your post history is not hidden, everyone can see it. Every leaf related thread, there you are, always against the leaf. It's the same old interactif just a different board.

Matthews shoots from in tight to the net, the "hard to play" areas that he makes his living in. I would expect someone shooting from in close to have a higher percentage, if other things were equal.

You seem more intent on talking about me than the topic of the post. If you cannot debate the hockey parts of posts, then ignore or kneel, but stop derailing threads. Other posters want to read about Boeser and Matthews, not posters on posters.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Yes two thirds think Matthews will score more goals over their careers which I agree with. I already said in an earlier post that I think Matthews has too big a lead right now for Boeser to catch up.
My comment was that on a go forward basis both look like they will be close in goals. Hence a coin flip.
Again we're talking about goals not who will be the better player.
I honestly don't see why some Leaf fans get so upset by this.

Maybe I missed some but I don't see leaf fans getting upset. Some get frustrated by certain posters (you know who) but most are level headed and are simply pointing out that brock is not a volume chance generator and as such is unlikely to keep up his pace considering his shooting %. It's that simple.

You can make a poll between Matthews and boeser for "who will score more going forward" and I'm confident it would still be 2/3 voting for Matthews. So no it's still not a coin flip.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
You seem more intent on talking about me than the topic of the post. If you cannot debate the hockey parts of posts, then ignore or kneel, but stop derailing threads. Other posters want to read about Boeser and Matthews, not posters on posters.

I spoke on topic, as you know. I'm just calling you out as what you are, at the same time.

It's not derailing the thread to point out the lack of integrity in the opinion someone is presenting.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You're priceless.

Lol he hides his post history in hopes no one sees through his obvious bias. It's really kinda sad. Almost any leaf related thread you'll find tws with some sort of condescnding remark towards the leaf player.

What ever, this thread is silly and will look sillier as the season progresses.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I never said Karlsson is automatically better based on track record. There's nothing wrong with comparing Matthews to Karlsson and using his age, ability and underlying numbers to project his level, just as there's nothing wrong with doing the same for Boeser and Matthews. The issue is calling whoever Matthews is compared to the "flavour of the month", because it most certainly isn't the player with years of established play at an elite level above what Matthews has shown so far. Matthews gets a lot of threads and polls because he's a shiny new toy for both the league and the league's largest fanbase that's been desperate for hope for over a decade, and in their overly enthusiastic praise for him, have turned his abilities into a lively debate. Its not because he's the "standard" by which players are now compared, that's ludicrous. The Karlsson talk has died down because he has had a poor year returning from major injury, not because he's no longer the "flavour of the month". He's still played at a higher level than Matthews has so far in his career, and is still largely seen as the better player.

It’s simplistic to say that Matthews gets a lot of threads because he belongs to the league’s largest fan base. Do you think the original thread starter called “Finnipeg” is in any way a Leafs fan or Matthews fan? No chance. The only reason he’s comparing players like Boeser and Scheifele to Matthews is because he sees Matthews as the standard by which other top players should be compared.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Maybe I missed some but I don't see leaf fans getting upset. Some get frustrated by certain posters (you know who) but most are level headed and are simply pointing out that brock is not a volume chance generator and as such is unlikely to keep up his pace considering his shooting %. It's that simple.

You can make a poll between Matthews and boeser for "who will score more going forward" and I'm confident it would still be 2/3 voting for Matthews. So no it's still not a coin flip.
Going forward it is a coin flip based on what we've seen this year.
Boeser's shot volume has gone up and will likely continue to go up.
Just like it does with most young snipers.
At this point I think you're grasping at straws and we're going in circles.
I'll leave it at that.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Weird poll - Boeser is 2 or 3 years older isn't he?

Regardless, just another victim for Matthews to overcome. The Jets sent their Finnish zealots at us last year, and hey slayed them. Now the Boeser boys are coming for Matty, and I am sure we know where this is going as well.
Pretty funny how Leaf fans like your post when they know it is wrong they are the same age they were on their mother boobs at the same time in life

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Regardless, just another victim for Matthews to overcome. The Jets sent their Finnish zealots at us last year, and hey slayed them. Now the Boeser boys are coming for Matty, and I am sure we know where this is going as well.

It's not 4 am is it? Try 6 months. Not sure where you got Boeser was 2 or 3 years older than Matthews. lol And judging by the likes of your post, it seems you are not alone there which just showcases how clueless some are.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Lol! Another Leafs poster who doesn't watch anyone but the Leafs.
And this one even got a couple of likes.
Actually Boeser is only 6 months older. He's just mature for his age.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Going forward it is a coin flip based on what we've seen this year.
Boeser's shot volume has gone up and will likely continue to go up.
Just like it does with most young snipers.
At this point I think you're grasping at straws and we're going in circles.
I'll leave it at that.

Right, I'm the one grasping at straws. One actually scored 40 goals in his d+1 as a centre playing with rookies for wingers. The other is on pace for over 40 in his d+3 as a winger in under 40 games played. If anyone is grasping/reaching its the brock supporters but I'll agree we're going in circles at this point. We'll just have to wait till the end of the season to see if brock can keep up this kind of pace. I very much doubt it, as do 2/3 of the posters.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Right, I'm the one grasping at straws. One actually scored 40 goals in his d+1 as a centre playing with rookies for wingers. The other is on pace for over 40 in his d+3 as a winger in under 40 games played. If anyone is grasping/reaching its the brock supporters but I'll agree we're going in circles at this point. We'll just have to wait till the end of the season to see if brock can keep up this kind of pace. I very much doubt it, as do 2/3 of the posters.
Nope. Two thirds of the posters did not choose Matthews on a go forward basis. Now you're just being untruthful.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Nope. Two thirds of the posters did not choose Matthews on a go forward basis. Now you're just being untruthful.

Where did I say "on a go forward basis"? And I very much doubt many of the voters considered Matthews 30+ goal advantage when voting. I sure didn't. It wasn't even brought up until a couple pages ago. I voted for Matthews because he has the track record and the chance generation while simultaneously being an elite finisher.

I, and most other posters, believe auston is the better goal scorer.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Even that’s not truth. But yes, I can at least agree he could score 30.

It's realistic at the very least. If he keeps going on strong, he'll reach 40+ simple as that.

How are we being foolish? I posted in a different thread how this is eerily similar to last season when a young rookie burst on the scene with 19 goals in his first 38 games on a 20+ shooting %. Lots thought he was the best shooter in the league, some even saying best ever, only to have his sh % come down to 17% and his goal scoring pace took a big hit.

Brock will not finish with a shooting% above 18, let alone 21+. His production will slow down and you'll be left looking foolish, like I said.

Auston being a better goal scorer isn't a "downplay" of brock. We're just trying to tell you that his goal scoring pace isn't sustainable.

Just because it happened to a previous rookie, doesn't mean it will happen to the recent one.

He's had a 47 goal pace at the moment, if we trim down his shooting percentage, he'll still be in the early 40s. He'll get his linemates back (arguable best forward on the Canucks in Horvat as his center) and his minutes will increase, and he'll gain some actual luck so so his offensive production will not fall of a clip.

His production will still be near PPG or around 70+ and hence your post is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to context

Right now given how desperate you guys are at this point in time, you are the ones looking foolish.

No if you want to claim Auston as a better goal scorer sure, but it's a downplay if you believe Brock isn't on the same tier as him.

and yet leafs fans say that boeser supporters are being cocky and arrogant.

toplel.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad