Matthews Vs Boeser (Goals)

Who will score more goals in their career?

• Matthews

Votes: 143 64.4%
  • Boeser

Votes: 79 35.6%

• Total voters

Finnipeg

Feb 14, 2017
Who will score more goals in their career?

Edit: I think Boeser will score more goals and my BOLD prediction is that Boeser will end up having more points when he is finished his career.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
If Matthews is easily injured throughout his career then maybe Brock can beat him. Brock died blocking a shot and came back next game to score a goal and an assist. He's indestructible

Reactions: Tralfamadore

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews has 53 in 108 games. .4907 GPG
Boeser has 23 in 42 games. .5476 GPG

Sample sizes are different. But I believe they will be close assuming both play injury free their careers. I will say this, I don't believe Boeser is a fluke. His goals are high in quality where only a handful of NHL players could score so this bodes well for him. If it was a matter of 5 ft tap ins, I would tend to be cautious on the sustainable part. But I have seen enough pure goal scorers in my time to say Boeser may go down as one of the most prolific American born goal scorers once his career is over.

Reactions: Martin Skoula

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Matthews has 53 in 108 games. .4907 GPG
Boeser has 23 in 42 games. .5476 GPG

Sample sizes are different. But I believe they will be close assuming both play injury free their careers. I will say this, I don't believe Boeser is a fluke. His goals are high in quality where only a handful of NHL players could score so this bodes well for him. If it was a matter of 5 ft tap ins, I would tend to be cautious on the sustainable part. But I have seen enough pure goal scorers in my time to say Boeser may go down as one of the most prolific American born goal scorers once his career is over.

Matthews had 22 goals in his first 42 games. And did it in his D+1 year.

I feel like this comparison will be just as ridiculous as the Matthews = McDavid comparisons.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews had 22 goals in his first 42 games. And did it in his D+1 year.

I feel like this comparison will be just as ridiculous as the Matthews = McDavid comparisons.

Why is it ridiculous when you just proved my point through their first 42 games, it is close. Your argument is flawed with this glaring contradiction. We are talking about goal scoring here.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Why is it ridiculous when you just proved my point through their first 42 games, it is close. Your argument is flawed with contradictions.

Boeser is also in his D+3 year, and scoring is up (highest it's been since 05-06).

But fine, after their first 42 games, goal scoring is close.

Lets see what Boeser can do over a full season, Matthews scored 40 goals in his D+1 year, Laine was pretty friggen close as well. I still don't see Boeser in the same tier as these two players for goal scoring. Probably makes more sense to revisit it at the end of the year, and see where Boeser ends up. Defnitely willing to change my opinion, but I'm gunna need more than the 33 games this year to do it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Boeser is also in his D+3 year, and scoring is up (highest it's been since 05-06).

But fine, after their first 42 games, goal scoring is close.

Lets see what Boeser can do over a full season, Matthews scored 40 goals in his D+1 year, Laine was pretty friggen close as well. I still don't see Boeser in the same tier as these two players for goal scoring. Probably makes more sense to revisit it at the end of the year, and see where Boeser ends up.

Oh I see, the D+1, D+3 argument. Is this your only reason for saying the comparison as goal scorers is in your words is 'ridiculous'? You actually cannot fathom anyone coming close to Matthews as a goal scorer? I think this speaks more of you and your obvious biases here. For the record, Boeser is 6 months older than Matthews, they are both 20 presently.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Matthews has a 40 goal season under his belt already. At the very least, that extra year in their careers gives Matthews a very good head start in the "who will have more goals and points in their careers" race.

Matthews had 40g while shooting 14% last year. Boeser has 19 so far this year while shooting 21%. Anyone expecting Boeser to continue scoring on 20+% of his shots is out to lunch. He's obviously a dynamic offensive talent and will be a very prolific goalscorer. But even giving him Patrik Laine's normalized shooting percentage of 17% puts him at 15.5 goals for the year which is a 39g pace. So either Boeser is going to be the greatest shooter of the era by almost 25%, or he'll probably cool off a bit and be a 40g rookie and 40g threat every year. As he develops in the league, he's very likely to get better and could be a 50g threat in some years. The great thing is though, that the underlined part applies to Matthews as well. I'd expect Matthews to score more goals in most years because I'm a homer and I also don't actually expect Boeser to average 17% shooting over his career. But I also recognize that Boeser is clearly a hell of a player and 40g this season isn't out of the question.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Oh I see, the D+1, D+3 argument. Is this your only reason for saying the comparison as goal scorers is in your words 'ridiculous'? You actually cannot fathom anyone coming close to Matthews as a goal scorer? I think this speaks more of you and your obvious biases here. For the record, Boeser is 6 months older than Matthews, they are both 20 presently.
How about we talk about the subject and leave the biases behind like adults, like you of all people shouldn't be accusing people of biases.

I just said Laine is in the same league as Matthews, and there are plenty of others in the league too. I'm just not willing to include Boeser in it after such a small sample size. I feel like that's pretty reasonable.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Oh I see, the D+1, D+3 argument. Is this your only reason for saying the comparison as goal scorers is in your words is 'ridiculous'? You actually cannot fathom anyone coming close to Matthews as a goal scorer? I think this speaks more of you and your obvious biases here. For the record, Boeser is 6 months older than Matthews, they are both 20 presently.

No I think he's actually saying that smaller sample sizes are less reliable than larger sample sizes when attempting to predict the future but who knows that's a very controversial opinion that's obviously never had anything happen in the past to back it up.

Anyway on topic: Matthews will score many, many more goals and points than Boeser during their careers. Watching them play it's obvious Boeser isn't in his tier.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How about we talk about the subject and leave the biases behind like adults, like you of all people shouldn't be accusing people of biases.

I just said Laine is in the same league as Matthews, and there are plenty of others in the league too. I'm just not willing to include Boeser in it after such a small sample size. I feel like that's pretty reasonable.

But why did you point out Matthews had 22 goals in his first 42 games also then? Obviously this is comparable to what Boeser did in his first 42 games. You seem to be sliding on a slippery slope with your arguments. OK let's discuss The facts then. Thus far they are on an almost identical path as goal scorers. Who know maybe Boeser slows down or did you think maybe speeds up with more exp. But to say a comparison is ridiculous at this point, as to the poll question who will be better goal scorer once their career is over is silly. If you want to wait for a bigger sample size as when their career is over, then why post on this board. There would be only opinions after the fact. I for one would not be surprised if Boeser and Laine become the Rocket Richard favourites of this generation of players. Which is hardly a ridiculous notion.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
But why did you point out Matthews had 22 goals in his first 42 games also then? Obviously this is comparable to what Boeser did in his first 42 games. You seem to be sliding on a slippery slope with your arguments. OK let's discuss The facts then. Thus far they are on an almost identical path as goal scorers. Who know maybe Boeser slows down or did you think maybe speeds up with more exp. But to say a comparison is ridiculous at this point, as to the poll question who will be better goal scorer once their career is over is silly. If you want to wait for a bigger sample size as when their career is over, then why post on this board. There would be only opinions after the fact. I for one would not be surprised if Boeser and Laine become the Rocket Richard favourites of this generation of players. Which is hardly a ridiculous notion.

Because Matthews has almost the exact same amount of goals as Boeser in his first 42 games, did it in his D+1 year, and now also has a much larger sample size to back it up -- that's why I posted that.

re; bolded -- I know the answer, but I just wanna hear what you say -- is there a reason you didn't include Matthews in this sentence? I mean 40 goals in his rookie year is pretty impressive and not many players achieve that, but for some reason you leave him off the list for "future Rocket Richard Favorites"... hmmm.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Because Matthews has almost the exact same amount of goals as Boeser in his first 42 games, did it in his D+1 year, and now also has a much larger sample size to back it up -- that's why I posted that.

re; bolded -- I know the answer, but I just wanna hear what you say -- is there a reason you didn't included Matthews in this sentence? I mean 40 goals in his rookie year is pretty impressive and not many players achieve that, but for some reason you leave him off the list for "future Rocket Richard Favorites"... hmmm.

Matthews is just 6 months younger. Both are 20.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Funny, all I've heard the last two years is that 7 months is a huge difference in development from some people comparing Laine and Matthews.

As Raging Bull pointed out, that's quite the turnaround of opinion you had in the Laine/Matthews threads.

I have heard it doesn't. From where take a guess? Anyways, we talking about 2 US born and developed prospects. Not the same as much as some try to compare the 2, they are completely different. Nice try though.

Boeser and Matthews are 20 this season. This is fact. Not 18 and 19 as the example you pointed out.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I have heard it doesn't. From where take a guess? Anyways, we talking about 2 US born and developed prospects. Not the same as much as some try to compare the 2, they are completely different.
Except Matthews scored 40 goals as a 19 year old, technically a year and 6 months younger than what Boeser is on PACE for right now.

Reactions: Garthinater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad