Matthews Vs Boeser (Goals)

Who will score more goals in their career?

• Matthews

Votes: 143 64.4%
  • Boeser

Votes: 79 35.6%

• Total voters

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
It's realistic at the very least. If he keeps going on strong, he'll reach 40+ simple as that.

Just because it happened to a previous rookie, doesn't mean it will happen to the recent one.

He's had a 47 goal pace at the moment, if we trim down his shooting percentage, he'll still be in the early 40s. He'll get his linemates back (arguable best forward on the Canucks in Horvat as his center) and his minutes will increase, and he'll gain some actual so so his offensive production will not fall of a clip.

His production will still be near PPG or around 70+ and hence your post is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to context

Right now given how desperate you guys are at this point in time, you are the ones looking foolish.

No if you want to claim Auston as a better goal scorer sure, but it's a downplay if you believe Brock isn't on the same tier as him.

Just because one rookie couldn't sustain a 20+ shooting % doesn't mean brock can't? Are you being serious? And just to be clear, you think Brock will end up close to ppg or with at least 70+ points? I'd bet my jeep that won't happen

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Right, I'm the one grasping at straws. One actually scored 40 goals in his d+1 as a centre playing with rookies for wingers. The other is on pace for over 40 in his d+3 as a winger in under 40 games played. If anyone is grasping/reaching its the brock supporters but I'll agree we're going in circles at this point. We'll just have to wait till the end of the season to see if brock can keep up this kind of pace. I very much doubt it, as do 2/3 of the posters.

You're grasping at straws because you are completely fixated on the shooting percentage and what Matthews accomplished last season as opposed to the feats Boeser is currently receiving. You also seem to neglect the fact that Boeser isn't getting any advantage or benefit at the moment from his circumstances (as I have explained before when one of your brethren asked about the truth of the situation), while Matthews has Nylander as his RW.

2/3 of the posters are voting for Matthews based on that he'll score more goals career-wise
. Not on who will score more goals per regular season basis. There's a major difference between the two, so keep up. 2/3 of the posters have a large chunk of leafs fans voting him, and that they have a larger fandom than the Canucks fans in this forum. The underline are facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's realistic at the very least. If he keeps going on strong, he'll reach 40+ simple as that.

Just because it happened to a previous rookie, doesn't mean it will happen to the recent one.

He's had a 47 goal pace at the moment, if we trim down his shooting percentage, he'll still be in the early 40s. He'll get his linemates back (arguable best forward on the Canucks in Horvat as his center) and his minutes will increase, and he'll gain some actual so so his offensive production will not fall of a clip.

His production will still be near PPG or around 70+ and hence your post is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to context

Right now given how desperate you guys are at this point in time, you are the ones looking foolish.

No if you want to claim Auston as a better goal scorer sure, but it's a downplay if you believe Brock isn't on the same tier as him.

Good post. As I can see it Boeser fans post that both players Matthews and Boeser will be prolific goal scorers during their careers. They do not feel a need to marginalize Matthews to make their case that they believe Boeser will score more goals in their NHL careers. However, it is a different narrative from Matthews backers, they marginalize Boeser to prop up their guy, some even say it won't be close. So you tell me who is being less arrogant and more reasonable here. Both will score a lot of NHL goals once their careers are over. And The OP asked a legitimate question.

There is no AINEC. It can go either way. But Boeser has shown nothing but to be an elite scoring talent to me since he has come into the NHL. No slight to Matthews, but 21 in 35, 25 in 44. He keeps scoring as the sample increases. And his goals are not the lucky variety. He finishes. This will hold him in good stead for the OP question when both careers are over.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Just because one rookie couldn't sustain a 20+ shooting % doesn't mean brock can't? Are you being serious? And just to be clear, you think Brock will end up close to ppg or with at least 70+ points? I'd bet my jeep that won't happen

Do you only focus on one line?
Read here: "if we trim down his shooting percentage, he'll still be in the early 40 goal scoring wise"

He'll be either have 70+ points or be near PPG, given he's on pace for over PPG at the moment and is putting over PPG production.

Safe bet will be 70+ or so. (Reasons already explained many times)

Also how many games have you actually watched the kid play?

Boeser has a goal scoring touch. He can score his goals anywhere on the ice with various amount of techniques with his skills (including in tight areas, like he scored against the hawks for example). His shooting percentage will always be in the high end spectrum like it was in high school.

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Good post. As I can see it Boeser fans post that both players Matthews and Boeser will be prolific goal scorers during their careers. They do not feel a need to marginalize Matthews to make their case that they believe Boeser will score more goals in their NHL careers. However, it is a different narrative from Matthews backers, they marginalize Boeser to prop up their guy, some even say it won't be close. So you tell me who is being less arrogant and more reasonable here. Both will score a lot of NHL goals once their careers are over. And The OP asked a legitimate question.

There is no AINEC. It can go either way. But Boeser has shown nothing but to be an elite scoring talent to me since he has come into the NHL. No slight to Matthews, but 21 in 35, 25 in 44. He keeps scoring as the sample increases. And his goals are not the lucky variety. He finishes. This will hold him in good stead for the OP question when both careers are over.

Matthews is their shiny new toy, so they feel it's a great sin if an equally talented goal scorer is compared to him.
You can see the desperation, nitpicking and downplays.

Now I know why so many jets and oilers fans were peeved off about this fandom last year. So easy to tell and understand.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It’s simplistic to say that Matthews gets a lot of threads because he belongs to the league’s largest fan base. Do you think the original thread starter called “Finnipeg” is in any way a Leafs fan or Matthews fan? No chance. The only reason he’s comparing players like Boeser and Scheifele to Matthews is because he sees Matthews as the standard by which other top players should be compared.

No, as I said, it's because he creates a lot of debate about where he belongs among the elite, not just among Leafs fans, but many fans, in part because of Leafs fans pushing him higher than he perhaps has shown he deserves to be. That and the fact that he hasn't yet established himself means we can only speculate on where he might end up. Established players are less likely to be compared because we know where they stand. And if you believe he's the standard, are you actually suggesting that he's the best player in the league then?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
No, as I said, it's because he creates a lot of debate about where he belongs among the elite, not just among Leafs fans, but many fans, in part because of Leafs fans pushing him higher than he perhaps has shown he deserves to be. That and the fact that he hasn't yet established himself means we can only speculate on where he might end up. Established players are less likely to be compared because we know where they stand. And if you believe he's the standard, are you actually suggesting that he's the best player in the league then?

Non-Leafs fans want to talk about Matthews because Leafs fans like to talk about Matthews? That’s very far fetched. The more logical explanation is that non-Leafs fans like the OP “Finnipeg” sees Matthews as the standard by which other top players are to be compared.

There is no other reason to want to compare hot players to Matthews. People talk repeatedly about a) their own players, and b) the best player. This is not me suggesting that Matthews is the standard. Rather, the people have spoken with their actions on these boards. As these non-Leafs fans are not talking about their own players, by deduction they are talking about who they believe are the standards, the best players. Matthews.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Non-Leafs fans want to talk about Matthews because Leafs fans like to talk about Matthews? That’s very far fetched. The more logical explanation is that non-Leafs fans like the OP “Finnipeg” sees Matthews as the standard by which other top players are to be compared.

There is no other reason to want to compare hot players to Matthews. People talk repeatedly about a) their own players, and b) the best player. This is not me suggesting that Matthews is the standard. Rather, the people have spoken with their actions on these boards. As these non-Leafs fans are not talking about their own players, by deduction they are talking about who they believe are the standards, the best players. Matthews.

Exactly how far do you have to have your head up Matthews' nostril to actually believe this?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Exactly how far do you have to have your head up Matthews' nostril to actually believe this?

Don’t take your anger on me. It’s the people that have spoken with their actions. There is no other reason for non-Leafs fans like Finnipeg to compare all hot players to Matthews unless he was the standard. Can you actually name another plausible reason why he’s brought up all the time? No, it’s not because he plays for the hockey Mecca/hockey capital/hockey Vatican, and no it’s not because Leafs fans like talking about him. It’s because they think he’s the standard.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Don’t take your anger on me. It’s the people that have spoken with their actions. There is no other reason for non-Leafs fans like Finnipeg to compare all hot players to Matthews unless he was the standard. Can you actually name another plausible reason why he’s brought up all the time? No, it’s not because he plays for the hockey Mecca/hockey capital/hockey Vatican, and no it’s not because Leafs fans like talking about him. It’s because they think he’s the standard.

Not angry. Just amused at your delusion. I've already explained why. If you want to believe in fantasized that's your prerogative. So tell me, if he's the standard, why do Leafs fans try so hard to compare him to McDavid, and why does everyone else mock it?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Matthews is their shiny new toy, so they feel it's a great sin if an equally talented goal scorer is compared to him.
You can see the desperation, nitpicking and downplays.

Now I know why so many jets and oilers fans were peeved off about this fandom last year. So easy to tell and understand.

The irony here is simply unbelievable.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Do you only focus on one line?
Read here: "if we trim down his shooting percentage, he'll still be in the early 40 goal scoring wise"

He'll be either have 70+ points or be near PPG, given he's on pace for over PPG at the moment and is putting over PPG production.

Safe bet will be 70+ or so. (Reasons already explained many times)

Also how many games have you actually watched the kid play?

Boeser has a goal scoring touch. He can score his goals anywhere on the ice with various amount of techniques with his skills (including in tight areas, like he scored against the hawks for example). His shooting percentage will always be in the high end spectrum like it was in high school.

I do not doubt boeser's shooting % will be at the high end of the spectrum. Same as Laine, they are both very lethal shooters.

And I'll admit I haven't seen as much of brock as I'd like but I've watched roughly 8 games of his. How many have you seen of Matthews? Edit: I mostly watch the canucks due to the sedins. They seem to dominate the leafs every time we play them.

I doubt brock scores over 40 this season or gets 70+ points and I very much doubt it's the "safe bet" he does. I'm not a hater. I just don't think he can sustain this kind of pace. What he has done so far is very impressive. But like others have shown, he has been scoring at an absurdly high rate.

Also the entirey of your last paragraph could be said about Matthews. He has unreal hand eye coordination and one of the best releases. He beats goalies cleanly with wristers and scores from the dirty areas.

Matthews is also a better skater and stick handler which should result in more scoring opportunities. Combine that with the leafs looking like the better team for the next while (more support, etc) this should definitely be Matthews. I don't mean to be rude but I was genuinely shocked someone even made a poll out of this.

Last edited:

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You're grasping at straws because you are completely fixated on the shooting percentage and what Matthews accomplished last season as opposed to the feats Boeser is currently receiving. You also seem to neglect the fact that Boeser isn't getting any advantage or benefit at the moment from his circumstances (as I have explained before when one of your brethren asked about the truth of the situation), while Matthews has Nylander as his RW.

2/3 of the posters are voting for Matthews based on that he'll score more goals career-wise
. Not on who will score more goals per regular season basis. There's a major difference between the two, so keep up. 2/3 of the posters have a large chunk of leafs fans voting him, and that they have a larger fandom than the Canucks fans in this forum. The underline are facts.

I wish I knew how to combine two messages into one on mobile but unfortunately I have no idea.

I don't think you know what grasping at straws means. Saying boeser's shooting% will go down is not a fixation nor is it grasping at anything. There is no guarantee he will get more ice time to off set the drop in scoring %.

Yes boeser is on a fairly bad team. But they aren't the coyotes or sabres. Matthews played with hyman (rookie), nylander (rookie) and brown (rookie) as his most common linemates last season when he recorded 40. That is no big advantage.

Yes there is a difference in the two. But like I said, make a poll on "who will score more going forward" and I doubt it will be a "coin toss".

Also for every over the top biased leaf fan, there's a VG or TWS so don't act like it's only us.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As a Leafs fan, I must say Brock Boeser has been a godsend for my fantasy team this year. He's fantastic. But, given the opportunity, I'd trade him for Auston Matthews without hesitation.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I wish I knew how to combine two messages into one on mobile but unfortunately I have no idea.

Push the "+QUOTE" option under each message, then click "Insert Quotes" which will show up at the bottom of your reply box where "Post Reply" and "Upload a file" are.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Says the guy who proclaims Laine and Boeser to be the 2 main rocket contenders and not the player who actually walked the walk of scoring 40 goals as a rookie.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The irony here is simply unbelievable.

For an irony to be valid you need to find proof that I'm acting like there's a sin to compare Brock with Matthews. The point about the fandoms I made are quite truthful as well.

It's not my problem that your failure to comprehend something simple is difficult for you.

and amusing enough the likes are from Leafs fans.

@Garthinater I will respond to you later.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Says the guy who proclaims Laine and Boeser to be the 2 main rocket contenders and not the player who actually walked the walk of scoring 40 goals as a rookie.
If Matthews was any good he'd be the best goal scorer in the league right now. as it stands he's only the best ES goal scorer, and we all know powerplay goals are the ones that matter. Unless you're talking about a Leaf player who is good on the powerplay, in which case they're useless fluky points

Reactions: Menzinger and Kelly

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Did you guys know that Matthews’ only chance of winning a rocket in his career is for the great Brock Boeser to be injured / have a down year? But there’s no bias at all!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Some folks have a hard time admitting they were wrong. I’m sure next season they’ll latch on to another player to try and take on Matthews (or Marner, nylander, ect).

Funny thing is Too all the underlying factors point to Matthews being one of the top goal scorers in the league for years to come - high shot generation, highly accurate shot, tons of ES scoring, high shot generation from high danger areas. AND the fact he hit 40 as a teenager, as he gets closer to entering his prime (around 22) he’s going to be an absolute monster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad