Matthews Vs Boeser (Goals)

Who will score more goals in their career?

• Matthews

Votes: 143 64.4%
  • Boeser

Votes: 79 35.6%

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except Matthews scored 40 goals as a 19 year old, technically a year and 6 months younger than what Boeser is on PACE for right now.

And both were rookies are they not when you slid into your slippery slope argument that is was ridiculous to compare both players when you yourself posted Matthews almost identical goal total through 42 games. You said it was a ridiculous argument. You have to live with this dubious statement when you contradicted yourself with your own stats.

Reactions: Sayonara77

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't see how that answered what he asked. What's your reasoning for not including Matthews in the group you expect to compete for the Rocket trophy this generation of players?
That Leafs jersey he wears automatically reduces 20 goals off his totals.

I mean yeah I know he was only 4 goals behind the rocket winner last year but lets be real here.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
And both were rookies are they not when you slid into your slippery slope argument that is was ridiculous to compare both players when you yourself posted Matthews almost identical goal total through 42 games. You said it was a ridiculous argument. You have to live with this dubious statement when you contradicted yourself with your own stats.
according to you, apparently Boeser is going to compete for Rocket Richard trophies, while Matthews name doesn't even get brought up. Laughable.

Like I said like twice now, Matthews has almost identical goals through the first 42 games to Boeser, but also did it a year and a bit younger, and also has a much larger sample size to fall back on.

Yes, I think looking back in the future, it will be proved to be as ridiculous as the McDavid/Matthews comparisons -- people always get so horny over small sample sizes, especially with goal scores where the majority are streaky as all hell.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
according to you, apparently Boeser is going to compete for Rocket Richard trophies, while Matthews name doesn't even get brought up. Laughable.

Like I said like twice now, Matthews has almost identical goals through the first 42 games to Boeser, but also did it a year and a bit younger, and also has a much larger sample size to fall back on.

Yes, I think looking back in the future, it will be proved to be as ridiculous as the McDavid/Matthews comparisons -- people always get so horny over small sample sizes, especially with goal scores where the majority are streaky as all hell.
What are you talking about?

23 goals in 42 games is certainly enough to be in the discussion for future Rocket Richard competition.

Finishing 2nd in goal-scoring as a rookie only 4 behind the Rocket winner is nowhere near enough to be in the future discussion.

Seems legit doesn't it?

Reactions: Raging Bull

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Yes, I think looking back in the future, it will be proved to be as ridiculous as the McDavid/Matthews comparisons -- people always get so horny over small sample sizes, especially with goal scores who majority are streaky as hell.

I think you are looking for every which way to avoid the truth here. You pointed out D+1, D+3 to avoid they are on very similar paths as goal scorers through their first 42 NHL games. But you for some reason think Boeser cannot do what Matthews did through 108 games thus far with the sample size cop out. At 42 games, one should be able to deduce a quality goal scorer, but fine, I heard this same excuse for Laine deniers.

Okay let's do it your way.

Let's look at Matthews and Boeser as 20 year olds head to head in similar conditions playing in the same year. Is this comparable enough for you? No extrapolation needed here.

2017-2018

Boeser .575 GPG
Matthews .500 GPG

Reactions: TheNumber4

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Guess no one has an argument for this:

Let's look at Matthews and Boeser as 20 year olds head to head in similar conditions playing in the same year. Is this comparable enough for you? No extrapolation needed here.

2017-2018

Boeser .575 GPG
Matthews .500 GPG

When D+1, D+2 ect... cannot be used as an excuse on why Boeser does not belong in the discussion with Matthews as a goal scorer. But I guess cue those 2 words again sample size. Where should all take a hiatus and not post during the season but only until after the season sometime in the summertime when there is only absolutes. lol

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

2017-2018

Boeser .575 GPG
Matthews .500 GPG

When D+1, D+2 ect... cannot be used as an excuse on why Boeser does not belong in the discussion with Matthews as a goal scorer. But I guess cue those 2 words again sample size. Where we can all take a hiatus and not post in season but until after the season sometime in the summer. lol
What do you mean it's all been answered.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016

2017-2018

Boeser .575 GPG
Matthews .500 GPG

When D+1, D+2 ect... cannot be used as an excuse on why Boeser does not belong in the discussion with Matthews as a goal scorer. But I guess cue those 2 words again sample size. Where we can all take a hiatus and not post in season but until after the season sometime in the summer. lol
Laine .500 GPG

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Nobody is arguing Boeser isn't a talented goal scorer. The whole past page has been you dodging a question as to why you don't think Matthews will compete with Laine and Boeser in the future. Soooooo, come up with an answer yet?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Are you not understanding the phrase "small sample size"

Holy ****.

Here lets add Crosby to the list.

Crosby throughout this season - 0.39 GPG.

Guess what we should take from this? Absolutely nothing.

You understand this is a comparison of Matthews and Boeser as goal scorers. Not Crosby. Who has a resume that far supercedes both players. More distraction to avoid the comparison as 20 year olds. We did it your way, why don't you address why comparing both players as goal scorers when their careers are over is ridiculous? You think Matthews is going to score hundreds of more goals than Boeser is during their careers? As in my first post, I say it will be close. Not sure where you see the massive gap is? Can you explain without using sample size as a stock reply.

Here is their 20 year old comparison. Against the same players, the same rules, at the same time. None of this D+1 stuff.

2017-2018

Boeser .575 GPG
Matthews .500 GPG

Reactions: TheNumber4

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Are you not understanding the phrase "small sample size"

Holy ****.

Here lets add Crosby to the list.

Crosby throughout this season - 0.39 GPG.

Guess what we should take from this? Absolutely nothing.
Anze Kopitar 40 points in 36 games this season.

Sidney Crosby 34 points 36 games

Kopitar > Crosby AINEC

We all know how fun sample sizes are. Well most of us anyway.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You understand this is a comparison of Matthews and Boeser as goal scorers. Not Crosby. Who has a resume that far supercedes both players. More distraction to avoid the comparison as 20 year olds. We did it your way, why don't you address why comparing both players as goal scorers when their careers are over is ridiculous? You think Matthews is going to score hundreds of more goals than Boeser is during their careers? As in my first post, I say it will be close. Not sure where you see the massive gap is? Can you explain without using sample size as a stock reply.
One we know for sure has scored 40 goals and has been in contention for Rocket Richard.

One has 23 goals in 42 career games to date with no complete season for a comparable.

I mean I know a kindergartner can figure this out but there's nothing wrong with needing to simplify things to that level :)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Anze Kopitar 40 points in 36 games this season.

Sidney Crosby 34 points 36 games

Kopitar > Crosby AINEC

We all know how fun sample sizes are. Well most of us anyway.

Josh Bailey 45 points in 35 games
Jakub Voracek 42 points in 34 games
Brayden Schenn 40 points in 37 games
Anders Lee 36 points in 35 games

the examples go on and on..

Following his logic all these players must be same tier as Sidney Crosby.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Boeser certainly looks to be in the conversation especially if Matthews continues to have injury problems. That said I think they both end up on the same tier in a few years, 1 or 2 below the top tier with McDavid.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

Actually Baileys better because he's doing it at a younger age.

Reactions: Kelly

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I mean it's pretty hard to explain it to you when you don't want him to use the most logical explanation.

Why don't you ask Kelly why he/she thinks it is ridiculous in his/her words to compare Boeser to Matthews as goals scorers when their careers are over. Other than citing sample size, he/she has not provided one good reason why this is the case, which can only be termed as the classic cop out. But This is what the OP asked.

Do you also think it is a ridiculous notion that Boeser may be in the same territory as goal scorers as Matthews one day. If so, why? And if not, why are you not challenging Kelly on his dismissal of this notion. Seems to me you only want to further one part of the argument here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

This is all fine and dandy but what does it have to do with this thread, the 2 players we are discussing and the topic. Nothing.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

2017-2018

Boeser .575 GPG
Matthews .500 GPG

When D+1, D+2 ect... cannot be used as an excuse on why Boeser does not belong in the discussion with Matthews as a goal scorer. But I guess cue those 2 words again sample size. Where should all take a hiatus and not post during the season but only until after the season sometime in the summertime when there is only absolutes. lol

I'll bite.

Boeser is shooting at 21%. Matthews is at 16.3% this year. Do you expect Boeser to continuously have a shooting percentage that's almost 25% higher than Laine's?

Also "similar conditions" lol. One is the topC on a playoff team and the other is a winger playing with two hall of famers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad