Matthews vs Barkov vs Draisaitl

Who will have a better season and who do you take going forward?

• Total voters

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
What does stacking your top line have anything to do with who is currently the better player ? It's like your arguing with yourself. Draisaitl blew Matthew's away last year. Apparently Matthew's plays on a **** team featuring Morgan Reilly, Mitch Marner, William Nylander, and John fn Tavares to play with on a power play and had Nylander and Marleau as consistent linemates for the season. I heard he didnt get any minutes with Tavares and Marner last season. What a stud this guy must be....lol Homer's.
It seems to me you have forgotten my original post. I argued that just because Drai plays with McDavid on his wing, it doesn’t make him any more versatile than Barkov and Matthews. Barkov and Matthews are on teams that have competently surrounded their star players with other capable pieces. Unfortunately, the Oilers have not done that and are therefore forced to put Drai on Mcdavid’s wing.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Barkov
Drai
Matthews
For the Oilers I am happy with Drai.
In the future it could be totally different.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It seems to me you have forgotten my original post. I argued that just because Drai plays with McDavid on his wing, it doesn’t make him any more versatile than Barkov and Matthews. Barkov and Matthews are on teams that have competently surrounded their star players with other capable pieces. Unfortunately, the Oilers have not done that and are therefore forced to put Drai on Mcdavid’s wing.

Why are you retracting your original point now that you have been called out ? Draisaitl can't generate offense on his own and leeches from McDavid..he is nowhere near the other 2. Wasn't that what you were lingering on about.....:sarcasm:

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Why are you retracting your original point now that you have been called out ? Draisaitl can't generate offense on his own and leeches from McDavid..he is nowhere near the other 2. Wasn't that what you were lingering on about.....:sarcasm:
'Poor McDavid'? It's time to say 'Poor Draisaitl,' too - TheHockeyNews
“Draisaitl has played 576:22 with McDavid and 391:55 without him this season at 5-on-5. On the ice with No. 97, Draisaitl rates obviously better in pretty much every per-hour stat we can find: percentage of goals scored by the Oilers versus the other team, high-danger chances generated per 60 minutes and so on. But who cares about that? You or I would be better with McDavid than without. A soggy tuna sandwich would pick up a more points on McDavid’s line than on anyone else’s. The question to ask is whether Draisaitl’s production sans-McDavid is still good, even if it’s not as good.
Draisaitl picks up an incredible 2.81 points per 60 minutes when he’s on the ice with McDavid. Without him: 1.84 points per 60. So where would those numbers rank among the 320 forwards with at least 500 minutes played at 5-on-5 this season?
The 2.81 with McDavid would obviously be elite. Only 14 forwards produce more points per 60. The 1.84 points per 60 at 5-on-5 would put Draisaitl 135th, in the top half of the league’s forwards near such (admittedly cherrypicked to provide perspective) names as Landeskog, Nikolaj Ehlers, Brayden Schenn and Dylan Larkin. That’s pretty solid second-line production considering Draisaitl’s linemates typically include the likes of journeyman Alex Chiasson and zero-goal scorer Tobias Rieder. It’s not that Draisaitl sets the world on fire without McDavid, but producing at roughly a second-line level is a Herculean feat considering Draisaitl rarely gets second-line-caliber wingers flanking him.”

Back to my original point, Oilers are forced to play Drai with McDavid because their wingers are shit.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Very strange and weak logic chain.

The Oilers are forced to put Drai on McDavid's wing.

Drai thrives.

And that doesn't show that Drai is versatile ?

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Very strange and weak logic chain.

The Oilers are forced to put Drai on McDavid's wing.

Drai thrives.

And that doesn't show that Drai is versatile ?

You mean to tell me Drai is versatile because he can thrive playing on McDavids wing? Lmao

Reactions: 6ix

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Lol :laugh:
What an idiotic comparison.

The guy just put up 50 plus goals 105 points absolutely carried any line he was on for a ride, played well with 97 also because he thinks the game at a high level and we have absolute idiotic assumptions and blanket statements by pom pom waving fanatics trying to downplay the actual numbers.

Seems like the whole city of Edmonton is this thread crying about Draisaitl to be ranked ahead of Matthews. Clear homerism.

Draisaitl’s 2 points again tonight were with McDavid. The guy just doesn’t produce at an elite rate like Matthews or Barkov when he’s centring his own line.

You don’t think Matthews would have a shot at cracking 60 goals being fed from McDavid 25 mins a night?

At the World Cup when Matthews played with McDavid he was putting up over ppg.

Why are Oiler fans so upset that people want to see Draisaitl produce elite numbers centring his own line if they are to rank him ahead of Matthews or Barkov? Matthews and Barkov playing on McDavids wing.... yeah I don’t even gotta explain anymore.

Congrats on the hot 3-0 start however, I even said in the Oilers projection thread that Draisaitl would be playing back with McDavid very soon. Soon was half a game into game 1 lol.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Seems like the whole city of Edmonton is this thread crying about Draisaitl to be ranked ahead of Matthews. Clear homerism.

Draisaitl’s 2 points again tonight were with McDavid. The guy just doesn’t produce at an elite rate like Matthews or Barkov when he’s centring his own line.

You don’t think Matthews would have a shot at cracking 60 goals being fed from McDavid 25 mins a night?

Why are Oiler fans so upset that people want to see Draisaitl produce elite numbers centring his own line if they are to rank him ahead of Matthews or Barkov? Matthews and Barkov playing on McDavids wing.... yeah I don’t even gotta explain anymore.

Congrats on the hot 3-0 start however, I even said in the Oilers projection thread that Draisaitl would be playing back with McDavid very soon. Soon was half a game into game 1 lol.
every single one of Auston Matthews goals have come from Marner or Reilly

the guy simply can't produce without elite talent around him feeding him goals

his 0 assists on the year shows he's not making other around him better

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
every single one of Auston Matthews goals have come from Marner or Reilly

the guy simply can't produce without elite talent around him feeding him goals

his 0 assists on the year shows he's not making other around him better

I’m sorry is Marner or Rielly McDavid? You’re argument is invalid. Marner and Matthews only play together on the PP. I wouldn’t bash Draisaitl for getting points in the PP with McDavid if he centred his own line at ES.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I’m sorry is Marner or Rielly McDavid? You’re argument is invalid. Marner and Matthews only play together on the PP. I wouldn’t bash Draisaitl for getting points in the PP with McDavid if he centred his own line at ES.
is Klefbom or Nurse close to Morgan Reilly in terms of offensive production?
the Oilers don't have a single 50 point defenseman on the team let alone a 70 point one

Matthews is surrounded by elite talent..on the PP and at ES

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

Is that supposed to be his fault or something? He was actually playing better when he wasn’t playing with McDavid, McDavid was the one struggling. Is that supposed to be some sort of psychic prediction that he’d end up playing with McDavid?

Everyone knows they’re the best duo in the league and more importantly we just don’t really have the depth to run them on two seperate lines. Drai hasn’t really been given a fair situation playing centre, other than when he was 20 playing with Hall, for example I think his two most common linemates away from McDavid were Lucic and Rieder with guys like Chiasson and Kassian here and there. Not a comparable situation to Barkov and Matthews at all.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

^Expected nothing less then this garbage from King Toronto.

It's so full of excrement and blanket statements you would think it's an white blanket covered in shit.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
^Expected nothing less then this garbage from King Toronto.

It's so full of excrement and blanket statements you would think it's an white blanket covered in ****.
Just like all your excrement filled hot takes regarding the Oilers during the kings game, immediately changing your tune when we win. You’re definitely not one to talk regarding white blankets covered in shit.

Anyways back on topic, I have Drai, Barkov and Matthews in that order. Drai’s 105 point season even with McDavid is something these guys would never imo do.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Just like all your excrement filled hot takes regarding the Oilers during the kings game, immediately changing your tune when we win. You’re definitely not one to talk regarding white blankets covered in ****.

Anyways back on topic, I have Drai, Barkov and Matthews in that order. Drai’s 105 point season even with McDavid is something these guys would never imo do.
The f*** ? :loony::scared:

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
1.McDavid 2.Barkov 3.Mackinnon is my top3 on young players on NHL. Crosby and Ovie also would fit top5, but hard to place these 2 with 3 so much younger player.

So easily Barkov for me.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Barkov > Draisaitl > Mathews

Barkov is a top5 center in the league, last year 96 points even he is one of the best 2way forward. Draisaitl scored 50 goals!
Mathews is the most overrated player and in real life he is just 70 points player like you can see.

Reactions: theblackadder

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Marner and Rielly (and Tavares, Nylander, Barrie) are damn good players. He plays with very good players, but it doesn't fit your narrative so you will assuredly ignore that.
Also if Matthews is better than the first guy to score 50 + 50 in 9 years, shouldn't he be scoring more at even strength with his very good linemate Nylander, rather than relying on Marner/Rielly on the PP?

And you do bash Draisaitl for those points as you reference all of Draisaitl's points that McDavid is in on. Including the PP points, as once again, it best fits your narrative.

(Mod).

(Mod) You’re always anti leaf. I can understand an Oiler fan going to bat for their player as a homer.

Comparing them as players centring their own line Draisaitl is outclassed. Fking James Neal has 6 goals playing with McDavid when he has like 7 all last year.

Draisaitls stats are fake and inflated when ranking him as a player until he does it on his own line. Matthews would score 60 goals with McDavid going purely off GPG and G/60.

Bottom line is if he’s a to be in the class of franchise centre like Matthews and Barkov he would centre his own line full time, PERIOD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad