Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
People need to stop looking at contracts about what a player deserves and more into what a team is willing to pay. Tie Domi made $2M in 2003-04 with the Maple Leafs. Did he deserve it? Not really. Was Toronto willing to pay him? Absolutely. That's all that matters.

If someone is willing to pay Matthews more than McDavid wanted to be paid by Edmonton, that's fine.
There wasn't a cap 14 years ago. 2 million for domi wasn't a big deal then.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Matthews is no doubt making TO more money than McDavid makes the Oilers, so if that is being taken into consideration, he should get more. I feel similar about Toews. People say his deal is dumb, but he has been one of the most marketable players in the league for a very long time, and he deserves his share of the money he's made that franchise.

Reactions: Morrison

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
  • There is recent speculation been thrown out that Matthews should get more money than McDavid. Agree/disagree?

Matthews own agent (Bobby Orr) stated recently that it isn't even about money, Matthews just wants to win. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah Marner will get more than Kucherov, awsome, thanks for your opinion I appreciate it, leafs are in Cap hell yada yada yada no cup since 1967 no chance, Matthews has a bum shoulder and is overrated, Tavares is overrated and not worth his contract, Rielly is a #4 dman and Nylander is a 3rd liner
The only way I put Nylander on third line if he’s not a cap casualty is to play center- the guy I would like to get is Johansson. I hate such a cost effective guy is on the Leafs

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Won't happen. Matthews will be around Tavares' deal maximum. Dubas will sell him on the fact that Tavares left millions on his biggest contract of his life whereas Matthews even if he signs an eight year deal will have another big contract.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
respectively disagree

he had offers from many European leagues--Swiss aint the good-but their tax laws made a huge incentive to pick that over Sweden where the tax would have beeb 60%

UNLESS YOU ARE SAYING THE SWISS LEAGUE IS BETTER THAN THE SWEDISH LEAGUE?

How many of those Swedish teams are coached by a former Stanley cup winning NHL coach and have several former NHLers as linemates ensuring not only an excellent year for development, but one in which English will be the predominant language spoken?

Reactions: loyaltotheend

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
respectively disagree

he had offers from many European leagues--Swiss aint the good-but their tax laws made a huge incentive to pick that over Sweden where the tax would have beeb 60%

UNLESS YOU ARE SAYING THE SWISS LEAGUE IS BETTER THAN THE SWEDISH LEAGUE?

Switzerland is an incredible place to live. I've only spent a few days there but I was blown away. I don't know about tax situations but if I had to pick between living there or Sweden for a winter, it wouldn't be a tough choice.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Switzerland is an incredible place to live. I've only spent a few days there but I was blown away. I don't know about tax situations but if I had to pick between living there or Sweden for a winter, it wouldn't be a tough choice.

Lived their for 1 year and have been in Europe for 15

you need to understand the tax system in the country to understand why he played there and not is Sweden

Reactions: Morrison

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Bobby Orr already covered this, [MOD]

Plus Orr said you will hear zero about negotiations, and that it won't be about the money. This kid only wants to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I have a sources at the NHL and NHLPA who let me know that the CBA rules will be amended so that Matthews can make more than 20% of the cap. It's very likely that he'll sign for $80 million/season.
There must be a typo in your post. I heard that he can make 120% of the cap.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Matthews own agent (Bobby Orr) stated recently that it isn't even about money, Matthews just wants to win. Eklund is a dolt.

How many times has an agent of a player said that it is all about the money and winning is secondary?

No one on either side in this thread has any idea, but they all have extreme confidence that their own beliefs about Matthews are true.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
There wasn't a cap 14 years ago. 2 million for domi wasn't a big deal then.

Okay, I'll give a cap related player example: David Clarkson. Did David Clarkson deserve that much? No. But Toronto (and Edmonton according to reports) was willing to pay him that much. That's all that matters. It isn't what you deserve, it's what someone wants to pay you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's possible but I think Matthews starts at $12M and would accept $11M. Leafs likely start under $10M ish. I think $11M is the right number for 8 years. I'd be surprised he takes less but don't know how much hard ball the Leafs will play with him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
and he would do this why?

Matthews went over seas to make money for one year-the kid likes money

why would he take a discount

JT went to TO cause he is a leaf fan--Matthews is from Arizona--he is more likely to go there on a discount then TO

:biglaugh:

How many times has an agent of a player said that it is all about the money and winning is secondary?

No one on either side in this thread has any idea, but they all have extreme confidence that their own beliefs about Matthews are true.

Bobby Orr isn't your typical agent, there's not a single person in hockey who I have more respect for. If he says something, you can pretty much take it to the bank. JMHO.

Reactions: freshwind

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's possible but I think Matthews starts at $12M and would accept $11M. Leafs likely start under $10M ish. I think $11M is the right number for 8 years. I'd be surprised he takes less but don't know how much hard ball the Leafs will play with him.

I'm quite sure there won't be any hardball. I say Matthews takes between 10 and 11 depending on how much of discount he wants to give.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Okay, I'll give a cap related player example: David Clarkson. Did David Clarkson deserve that much? No. But Toronto (and Edmonton according to reports) was willing to pay him that much. That's all that matters. It isn't what you deserve, it's what someone wants to pay you.

Well, in some cases like Matthews, you pay him or he walks as a UFA after 7 years. Matthews and his agent are not going to make a 8 year deal cheap. It would however be 4 years of RFA and 4 years of UFA negotiating. So it depends on where they start as a high number and where the Leafs start as a low number.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yes yes...we know, Kuch just took a discount because he wants to win....but this is about the Leafs, so Matthews will demand 16 million per....

People can say that Kuch took a discount because he wants to win because he signed a contract with such a discount. People can say that Tavares left money on the table because he wanted to win and wanted to play in Toronto because he signed a contract leaving money on the table. When Matthews does the same, people can say the same. If Matthews holds out for more money then people can say that it is all about the money. At the moment no one has any basis to say anything.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think he'll be the highest paid Leaf and IMO he deserves to be the highest paid Leaf. He's their franchise player, a budding superstar and cornerstone. He deserves a top 3 contract in the league IMO given the raise in cap, his youth and future (long term signing) etc.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So are Arizona, Montreal, NYR etc.
Leafs can't get him inked by June 30 of next year they're in trouble
Lol you think Matthews wants to go to those loser organizations to just make money and not win something? He helped recruit Tavares so the team he is on could be good. I doubt he will nickel and dime the team, but rather take less in order to keep the band together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad