Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Fantastic Core of Four they could put up 1980 numbers and Matthews get more

Matthews 13.5
Marner 9.5

They each get 100 points makes sense

Reactions: ThomasG

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Let me preface this by saying I don't believe Matthews is better or deserves a better contract. However, if he waits until next offseason he will be two years removed from McDavid's contract. Inflation and larger salary cap alone would put things closer to McDavid money. If you assume McDavid took a discount and Matthews may not have warm and happy feelings about Babcock, you would imagine the numbers would be in Auston's favor.

I would not be surprised in the slightest to see Matthew's contract to be bigger. I think its actually more likely to happen than not; especially if he has better numbers than Tavares when the season is over.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
If he does that will make it that much harder for you to keep all of them like your gm said he was

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If Tavares got 11 as a UFA from Toronto. Look for Matthews to get 10 as a RFA from Toronto.

Doesn't work that way.
Most of Tavares productive years are behind him, Matthews are ahead. Tavares value would be quite a bit less than Matthews over the next 7 years.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's will most certainly be an offer sheet situation. That's what Matthews in planning - otherwise he'd be signed now.

Good point. If someone isn't signed by July 10th the year before their contract is up, with others, like Nylander, who need to be signed first, it must be because the player is holding out for an offer sheet.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Matthews will take a discount like Tavares. They all want to win together. I’d say 10 for Matty.

and he would do this why?

Matthews went over seas to make money for one year-the kid likes money

why would he take a discount

JT went to TO cause he is a leaf fan--Matthews is from Arizona--he is more likely to go there on a discount then TO

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Doesn't work that way.
Most of Tavares productive years are behind him, Matthews are ahead. Tavares value would be quite a bit less than Matthews over the next 7 years.
Toronto is making the offer

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018

JT went to TO cause he is a leaf fan--Matthews is from Arizona--he is more likely to go there on a discount then TO
Ya cuz players are lining up to go to Arizona and lose, and lose some more. I’m sure he would want the pressure of carrying the team on his back by himself. He loves Toronto and his teammates. Orr came out and said money is secondary to winning for Matthews. He will follow suit and take a discount. He still makes a ton in endorsements. If he doesn’t take a discount he knows it’ll likely mean someone like Willie has to be traded.

Reactions: ajpro20

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
If Matthews makes more than McDavid next year, I'm excited to see the season he's about to have...

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018

By the way Matthews never went overseas to make money, he went because it was best for his development at that age to play against men rather dominate his peers in junior. Watch his documentary before you make uninformed posts.

Reactions: ajpro20

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
People need to stop looking at contracts about what a player deserves and more into what a team is willing to pay. Tie Domi made $2M in 2003-04 with the Maple Leafs. Did he deserve it? Not really. Was Toronto willing to pay him? Absolutely. That's all that matters.

If someone is willing to pay Matthews more than McDavid wanted to be paid by Edmonton, that's fine.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
By the way Matthews never went overseas to make money, he went because it was best for his development at that age to play against men rather dominate his peers in junior. Watch his documentary before you make uninformed posts.

respectively disagree

he had offers from many European leagues--Swiss aint the good-but their tax laws made a huge incentive to pick that over Sweden where the tax would have beeb 60%

UNLESS YOU ARE SAYING THE SWISS LEAGUE IS BETTER THAN THE SWEDISH LEAGUE?

Reactions: flamesforcup

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
No way he takes less than 11. With 2 years inflation I could see him hitting 12, leaving Mcdavid highest player but close

Reactions: Morrison
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad