Post-Game Talk: Matthews' shot is BACK; NHL Beware Leafs win 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
People used to hate Matthews. Last week people wanted him traded.

LOL @ Fans

I don’t think fans ever wanted him traded, personally I didn’t like the deal and I still don’t. Every negotiation has levers, I give you this you give me that. By walking him to UFA we should have gotten something (lower AAV), by front loading his contract and making it 93% bonus money (lower AAV), etc. Lastly he has not had the career start that McJesus has had and that means something regarding his overall pay. I know this is beating a dead horse but just saying.

Kid looked great last night, something is gonna have to give if we want and can grab a top 4 RHD. Said it before and will say it again Gardiner should be shipped out if the assets used can get a Pesce type of D. Our left side is set with Reilly, Muzzin and Dermott IMO.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I don’t think fans ever wanted him traded, personally I didn’t like the deal and I still don’t. Every negotiation has levers, I give you this you give me that. By walking him to UFA we should have gotten something (lower AAV), by front loading his contract and making it 93% bonus money (lower AAV), etc. Lastly he has not had the career start that McJesus has had and that means something regarding his overall pay. I know this is beating a dead horse but just saying.

Kid looked great last night, something is gonna have to give if we want and can grab a top 4 RHD. Said it before and will say it again Gardiner should be shipped out if the assets used can get a Pesce type of D. Our left side is set with Reilly, Muzzin and Dermott IMO.

There are lots of “fans” who wanted to trade him last week on this site. Lots.

I think most of us agree on the contract not being great. But he’s still a top young player in the league.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Babcock's spread the wealth across 3 lines starting to pay off. Not many teams have enough depth to contain three lines when they are firing on all cylinders.

Lots of talk of limiting the 4th line's minutes in the playoffs. If so why not dress 11 forwards and 7 dmen (after adding a cheap RHD like McQuaid/Jensen)?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Hes scoring goals at a historic rate. That means a lot. He'll never have the points McDavid has because hes not a setup man. Hes a goal scoring machine and the best goal scoring C in the league.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Hey @Nithoniniel!

I seem to recall you being one of the harshest critics of having Nylander with Kadri... has your opinion changed yet ;)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The 2nd one definitely was, although that was less tip more dude on the side of the net alone and a blown coverage by Lindholm I belive
Nope that's the 3rd goal

The 2nd was the guy skating down the slot uncovered, that was poor coverage from the forward backchecking, he just never got there

The first one was an abomination, funny as hell though
But ultimately we are still undefeated when leading after 40 minutes. 2 years ago we lead the league with blown 3rd period leads. Progress is obvious, so though we might not like the coaching style, but the results are there.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Went to bed after the 2nd. Figured if I stayed up for the third and they blew it,
I’d be grumpy and tired today :laugh:

Happy to see them pull out the win
Happier to see them do it in convincing fashion
Happiest to see the PP scoring again, especially after the initial struggles of the first unit.

Also love to see Matthews dominate like that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Oh and that was Marner’s first goal in a handful of games. Hopefully that gets him going.

We’ve yet to see all three of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all playing well at the same time.

Now would be a good time for them to start rounding into form

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
v9xaX2K.gif
All those people who liked this post will just turn on him the next game he goes 0 goals.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I like the title of this thread. I was wondering where that shot has been lately. I know players go through ups and downs so I wasn't worried... more anxious to see it again.

He's starting to roll again so fingers crossed he doesn't get injured as that seems to be the case the last few times he got rolling.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Happy to gain 2 points on Montreal.

Really want 2nd in the division :nod:

Well after all the hot streaks that Calgary, Winnipeg and the Sharks were on and the fact that they were between 4-6 points ahead of us, it's great that we have snuck back up to 2nd in the entire league

upload_2019-2-15_8-12-9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad