Post-Game Talk: Matthews' shot is BACK; NHL Beware Leafs win 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Great win. Could not enjoy game after alert.

Horrible loss of life. RIP. I'd like to take the dad behind the wood shed for a few minutes. We need the death penalty back. I know that is not the political way to think anymore in our liberal world but this is happening too much. It made me sick to my stomach last night. Jail for life well it is too good for guys like that. and why should we fund rest of his life? sorry venting here.

Go Leafs Go!
Terrible things happen in prison to people who kill children... the death penalty is the easy way out. He will suffer every day of his life for the next 40+ years.

Last edited:
Reactions: diceman934

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Kutcherov has 92 points in 58 games, Matthews is a better goal scorer but Kutch has been on another level than anyone in the NHL this year..

Kucherov is playing with a Center that has 33 goals. Matthews plays with Kapananen and Marleau/Johnsson.

If Matthews was paired with a 30+ goal scorer then his stats would be better.

Goals reflect your talent. Points reflect your line/teams talent.

Marner ~60 pts 2 straight seasons, then you add a 40 goal guy and guess what Marner is a 100+ point guy. Coincidence? I think not.

Reactions: freshwind

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
But ultimately we are still undefeated when leading after 40 minutes. 2 years ago we lead the league with blown 3rd period leads. Progress is obvious, so though we might not like the coaching style, but the results are there.
I can remember arguing that us blowing leads was part of the maturing process, as our young core learned how to win they would figure it out.

Oh and I don't expect us to not "be ready" when the playoffs start this year, again it's a process.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kucherov is playing with a Center that has 33 goals. Matthews plays with Kapananen and Marleau/Johnsson.

If Matthews was paired with a 30+ goal scorer then his stats would be better.

Goals reflect your talent. Points reflect your line/teams talent.

Marner ~60 pts 2 straight seasons, then you add a 40 goal guy and guess what Marner is a 100+ point guy. Coincidence? I think not.
Kap and AJ get hyped soooooo much around these parts but are now being used to say Matthews has bad linemates? I feel like AJ and Kap are both pacing for around 30 goals and Matthews played with Marner for some games too.

Watch some Tampa games man, Kuch is on another level this year.

I don't agree with the bolded at all....

Marner's point totals were always likely going to increase this year as he is a young player developing. Obviously putting a franchise center next helped though.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Kap and AJ get hyped soooooo much around these parts but are now being used to say Matthews has bad linemates? I feel like AJ and Kap are both pacing for around 30 goals and Matthews played with Marner for some games too.

Watch some Tampa games man, Kuch is on another level this year.

I don't agree with the bolded at all....

Marner's point totals were always likely going to increase this year as he is a young player developing. Obviously putting a franchise center next helped though.

I dont hype them. they are just supplemental pieces.

Marner and Nylander had pretty much identical stats through the last 2 seasons. So I dont see how you came to the opinion that Marners stats were going to explode. that is a hindsight is 20/20 guess

Nylander
22 goals 61 pts
20 goals 61 pts

Marner
19 goals 61 pts
22 goals 69 pts

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I can remember arguing that us blowing leads was part of the maturing process, as our young core learned how to win they would figure it out.

Oh and I don't expect us to not "be ready" when the playoffs start this year, again it's a process.
It's almost like patience should be practiced by fans.
But the oh we had a bad game fire everyone approach has its merits :sarcasm:

Reactions: DarkKnight

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
With some of the stuff that happened during the game, Johnsson getting hurt intentionally by McNabb, and the amber alert of the child who ended up dying.
We had a tremendous performance against a great team. Matthews, Nylander, and Marner all looked great.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Riya and her family.

Also the Leafs are good.

Oh wow, that's heartbreaking, when they sent a message that the child was located I assumed she would be safe. I hope the father rots in hell.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Freed from the "Adventures of Offensive Jake Mistake," Zaitsev looked solid, and very confident when carrying up ice, he defended the zone and net front very calmly, as I'm sure he wasn't worried about having to cover for the more defensive Jake. That pair looked great when on the ice with JT's line, but those forwards give them a lot of support. They were sympatico on the PK

I like that pair, hopefully the coach keeps them together

Andersen made the tough stops, but were he and Gardiner speaking different languages or not communicating at all? On the giveaway goal why wouldn't have Gardiner warned him about the Vegas forchecker being right on top of him. Dermott survived the night but made some errors he usually doesn't...hmmm?

Hainsey and Reilly are the 1st pair for sure, but had some uncharacteristic adventures on the PP

All four lines were a threat, all supported the Dzone and Nylander actually fought through a check, keep it up Willie make me a believer, He and Naz are really cooking together, Brown did a great job as usual on the PK and stepped up to cover for the Johnsson injury

good win boy's, onto the doghouse

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We legitimately could have at the of this year:
2x 40g scorers = Tavares, Matthews
3x 30g scorers = Tavares, Matthews, Marner
8x 20g scorers = Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kadri, Rielly, Marleau

82 game paces for Tavares and Matthews are 48 and 51 goals respectively, and that's even with Matthews ice time not being what it should be.

Add into this:
- Kapanen is only just now starting to get a real look on the powerplay. He's averaged just 40 seconds per game for the season
- Odds are Nylander would also be pacing for a 20+ goal season if he'd been here and ready to go from game 1, but I guess we don't know on that one.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I dont hype them. they are just supplemental pieces.

Marner and Nylander had pretty much identical stats through the last 2 seasons. So I dont see how you came to the opinion that Marners stats were going to explode. that is a hindsight is 20/20 guess

Nylander
22 goals 61 pts
20 goals 61 pts

Marner
19 goals 61 pts
22 goals 69 pts

Marner's production in the back half of last season and in the playoffs are fairly consistent with what he's done so far this year. He was most definitely trending upward.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It may have been a Fortress last year, but it's a sand castle this year.

Really hard to believe that was the same VGK team that made it to the SCF.

The atmosphere was pumping though, I'll give them that; reminded me of the Preds barn which always seems to be rocking.

The GLG chants in the 3rd were icing on the cake!

Reactions: IBeL34f and Zizzzzy

member 262271

Damn fine game, damn fine. I wanted McNabb handled, but in retrospect, better to just win the damn game.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
The atmosphere was pumping though, I'll give them that; reminded me of the Preds barn which always seems to be rocking.

The GLG chants in the 3rd were icing on the cake!

Has to suck for the Knights some nights with Vegas being such a popular travel destination. Probably every team in the league has hoards of fans there who book vacations with intention of seeing their team play. It felt like there were more Leaf fans there than Vegas. Never mind the Go Leafs Go Chant... hearing a Freddy chant in the oppositions Barn is so satisfying!

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Muzzin is so good. He's been a minus player *once* so far in Toronto. His defense is just so good. He's better at actual defending than any Leaf in recent memory. No-one seems to be able to win 1-on-1 in the corners, or along the boards with him. He almost always seems to shake the puck loose, and then it's up to his support to take the puck.

He is putting up #1 d-man numbers in TO so far, too.

We have 4x 1st pair quality guys right now, and it's amazing.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am getting tired of Dreger over and over again on the offer sheets. First it was Willy. then Matty. then Marner. and now it is Kappy. Once Nonnis was let go it is like he hates the Leafs now. TSN should fire his fat *ss.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I am getting tired of Dreger over and over again on the offer sheets. First it was Willy. then Matty. then Marner. and now it is Kappy. Once Nonnis was let go it is like he hates the Leafs now. TSN should fire his fat *ss.
He riles you up. You click. You watch. He's actually doing a fine job for TSN. At least now people are seeing him for what he really is.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
if there is no suspension for that pos then we know NHL has double standards. One set of rules for Leafs and other set of rules for the rest of the league.

if kadri had done that; kadri would be out 10 games

This hit was dirty, he did change the angle, the leg was stuck out. However, it was not horrible. There have been much more deliberate knee on knee hits before.

Not saying he shouldn't at least have a hearing, there is no room in the game for that type of thing. I believe he should sit for a game or two.

If I was the Leafs brass, I would be calling the league and throwing my weight around a bit on this.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This is the second time this month that has happened as well. Happened to Sparks, where initially he was covering the puck with little to no pressure, so ref yells at him to move it. but its hockey, and 1 second after the ref orders him to move it, he is now pressured by the opposition and gives up the puck for a goal.

This play was the same and it pisses me off when I hear it. Anderson clearly mishandled the puck which took away his time to safely play it and keep it alive. To not allow him to cover it was a bit too much of the ref controlling the play for my liking.

Later in the 3rd the Vegas goalie covered the puck with all 5 Vegas players within 15 feet of him, and Nylander was only Leaf in the zone... they blow the whistle and don't yell at MAF to play the puck.

It's a gray area for sure. I would have been pissed if I was Freddy. I admire his composure. Meh, it was a great road win, I didn't mean to be a downer about it. Just felt wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad