Matthews ranks 101st among forwards in 5v5 ice time per game

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're right, the GOAT should be out there facing top lines to make it easier for Tavares and Matthews.

You try too hard sometimes.

Tavares and Matthews lines are averaging 18:30 minutes a game on average and Kerfoot 14:30 and Gauthier 9:30 roughly.

Do you want the 4th line to get less than 9 minutes and the 3rd line less than 14 minutes to up the minutes of lines #1 and #2?

I think sometimes people complain for the sake of complaining and don't realize there is only 60 minutes of icetime to divvy up among the 4 lines so if you up the minutes of 1 line it has to come at the expense of another.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Tavares and Matthews lines are averaging 18:30 minutes a game on average and Kerfoot 14:30 and Gauthier 9:30 roughly.

Do you want the 4th line to get less than 9 minutes and the 3rd line less than 14 minutes to up the minutes of lines #1 and #2?

I think sometimes people complain for the sake of complaining and don't realize there is only 60 minutes of icetime to divvy up among the 4 lines so if you up the minutes of 1 line it has to come at the expense of another.
Yes, I don’t know what the fuss is, especially when Matthews and JT don’t PK. An effective third line and a serviceable fourth is amazing, not something to whine about.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, I don’t know what the fuss is, especially when Matthews and JT don’t PK. An effective third line and a serviceable fourth is amazing, not something to whine about.

Leafs have 2 marque #1C so they essentially cannibalize each other TOI/g to a degree as they both get top line minutes 18-19 minutes ATOI/g and that is the main reason a player like Matthews doesn't get more.

Agreed it seems silly to suggest Matthews line should get +2 minutes more up to 22 minutes and you lower the Tavares line by a similar amount down to ~16 minutes.

The 3rd and 4th lines are contributing and only getting limited minutes as is with around 14 minutes and 9-10 minuted for the 4th line.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Leafs have 2 marque #1C so they essentially cannibalize each other TOI/g to a degree as they both get top line minutes and that is the main reason a player like Matthews doesn't get more.

The 3rd and 4th lines are contributing and only getting limited minutes as is with around 14 minutes and 9-10 minuted for the 4th line.
Right, we have two top lines, it’s a great luxury.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think this is fine in the regular season but not the playoffs, then I'd like to see Matthews and Tavares around 20 each. Maybe even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He was playing like ****, so.....

Spreadsheets don't tell the story.
Heh. I've seen quite a lot of playoff games where star players have had crap games and ended up with a huge moment. Ovi in particular. He doesn't have to be good, if he gets the puck in a dangerous spot just once, he's a better shot at a goal than most are if they would be buzzing the entire shift.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Heh. I've seen quite a lot of playoff games where star players have had crap games and ended up with a huge moment. Ovi in particular. He doesn't have to be good, if he gets the puck in a dangerous spot just once, he's a better shot at a goal than most are if they would be buzzing the entire shift.
Yes, but Ovi never had a line the caliber of a Tavares and Marner behind him...never mind a Zach Hyman that would actually block a shot with his face if it would help the team win.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yes, but Ovi never had a line the caliber of a Tavares and Marner behind him...never mind a Zach Hyman that would actually block a shot with his face if it would help the team win.
We don't actually want Hyman to block a shot with his face as we're trying to score a goal. We want someone to make a play that helps us score.

We also don't need to choose between Tavares, Marner, and Matthews. They should have been out there all three of them.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I’m sure the sports science dep will look at diminishing returns and compare them to other players on the team to see if Matthews at 80% is more value able then say kapanen at 100%.

It would be impossible to account for all situations but I’m sure they have certain situational ratings(PP, PK, EN, left side draw etc etc). I also agree from my eye test that Matthews not at 100% is a better choice to score a needed goal than most players on the team who are 100%.

Only negative is Babcock’s usage.
Fatigue may affect his skating ,but his shot is arguably the best in the League...so,yeah, i can't see an extra 4 or so minutes a game ...3 times a week being a negative. However,if the team is up a couple or more by the 3rd,then sure,let him take it easy.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
We don't actually want Hyman to block a shot with his face as we're trying to score a goal. We want someone to make a play that helps us score.

We also don't need to choose between Tavares, Marner, and Matthews. They should have been out there all three of them.
You need to have possession of the puck in order to try and score - kind of a key thing.

Just because those are the 3 best offensive players doesn't mean they'll play well together. Look at the PP this year. This isn't PlayStation.

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I'm starting to think drai might be just as good as auston.

That's a travesty when you realize that leon makes 8.5 for 8 years vs 11.6 x 5 lol

What drai has accomplished over the last year+ is what we hope auston can become.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

That's a travesty when you realize that leon makes 8.5 for 8 years vs 11.6 x 5 lol

What drai has accomplished over the last year+ is what we hope auston can become.

While I do think Auston has a much higher ceiling, as of right now I would have to agree.

I do cringe when I see the contracts......

However, I have not looked at the ice time for both, but I would venture he plays more, and with McDavid a ton.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

For sure. Drai is amazing. Dubas really really dropped the ball on Auston's and Mitch's contract. There was no good reason to do so. He's effectively paralyzed the organization for this season at the very least, maybe more.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You need to have possession of the puck in order to try and score - kind of a key thing.

Just because those are the 3 best offensive players doesn't mean they'll play well together. Look at the PP this year. This isn't PlayStation.

If only Matthews, Marner, and Tavares were our 3 forwards with the most takeaways last season. Oh wait, they are.

Nylander the "perimeter player" had 2 less takeaways than Hyman in 20 less games lol.

The mental gymnastics you guys will go through to defend Babcock not playing our best forwards when chasing a goal are truly incredible.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I think one of the keys this year is to figure out how they can
1. draw more penalties and the
2. goalies playing average hockey, yes average level hockey, instead if crappy hockey.

The current PP is drastically different and theres more movement for sure.

then we wont be hearing all this fire this trade that guy nonsense

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Matthew's has 7 goals in 8 games....

Some if you guys are just being ridiculous in what you expect

I dunno, I expect over 1 assist every 8 games. Especially considering he is the 3rd highest paid player. Is that to much to ask for?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I dunno, I expect over 1 assist every 8 games. Especially considering he is the 3rd highest paid player. Is that to much to ask for?
I expect more than 1 point at 5v5 for Mitch Marner every 8 games. Especially considering he is the second highest paid winger in the league. Is that too much to ask for?

Screenshot_20191019-164727_Firefox.jpg

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I expect more than 1 point at 5v5 for Mitch Marner every 8 games. Especially considering he is the second highest paid winger in the league. Is that too much to ask for?

Nice work changing the subject.

I do agree though, marner has left me wanting.

But, for the 3rd year in a row, mitch is our leading point producer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad