Matthews ranks 101st among forwards in 5v5 ice time per game

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Matthews was 13th (12th if you consider Draisaitl a winger) in 5v5 ice-time per game among centers over 2017-18 & 2018-19. Malkin, Toews, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, O'Reilly, Eichel & Tavares are some notable names who received fewer minutes per game.

Where Matthews has 'lost' minutes relative to other star centers is the PP.
Doesn't excuse Babs for not stacking a line when they are losing. Best goal scorer in the world...sitting ...while they lose! Doesn't make sense at all!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
For centres, I've got Tavares at 30.2% of our 5v5 time (17th) and Matthews at 29.2% of our 5v5 time (28th).

See for yourself here: Tableau Public
The big picture for me is his total time on the ice...which is undeniably less than it should be for an al-lstar player of his caliber

.If I were to look a bit closer,the relevant issue for me would be this...When the Leafs are losing or tied,how much ice does Matthews get? Does it pay -off when he is on the ice? (does he or his line-mate score) ,is he a detriment in some way(I would be shocked if he was). Without delving in to all available analytics,I don't think it takes a genius to conclude that Matthews getting more Ice-time gives the Leafs a better chance to win. I don't care if Babs' old skool hunch' of using some other player pays off once in a while....It doesn't make any sense to have the best goal scoring center in the world sitting on the bloody bench when losing! There is no way that Lad is too tired to play more than he does.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Badsocks is killing this team, he is killing it, killing it with fire!
Actually,to be honest ,I anm more disappointed in Freddy right now. That said ,I don't think there is a need to do any major changes,because it is way too early and this team is talented enough to make Babs look like he knew what he was doing all along!

Reactions: nuck

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I don't have a "solution" to getting Babcock fired. My thought is he's on his last straw and results will decide his future. Last thing I want is a pushy media dictating decisions again. That hasn't ended well for us.

This is a team with skill and issues. Babcock has his warts, so does Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Fred, etc... Im fine with Babs getting axed, but this team isn't simply a coaching change away from a cup. This team needs to learn how to put in a consistent effort
St. Louis was a coaching change away from a cup...

Reactions: stopclickbait

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Unless Babcock can play goal he isn't the big issue right now. Freddy has kind of sucked. When your #1 is rocking a .876sv% it is going to be hard to win no matter how well the skaters can perform. I actually like this lineup and once they get rolling they have a different look from a year ago. No contract stress, no own rentals, they have a captain and just like a couple of years ago there are marlies pushing for a shot. Not a Babophile, but the shots against are down and AM has 6 goals. What the club needs is the other two members of that line to wake up, maybe three staches to really wake things up.

Reactions: hector morrison

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Pittsburgh was also a coaching change from a cup a few years ago. We're built much the same way with 2 elite centers, good forward depth, and a defence that should be good enough.
And we need our best players to be better, it goes beyond systems.

Like I said in the post you quoted, Babs isn't perfect and I'm fine if he gets canned, but the issues go beyond him.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
It looks like all of the key players will be well rested by the time Babcock leaves.

Reactions: TMLS

justanotherleafsfan

Oct 5, 2019
But the fact that Sundin was used judiciously meant that he stayed healthy year to year and was our franchise player for 14 years, whereas Gilmour was pretty much burned out as a franchise player after 2 playoff runs...
At least Gilmour had dominate play runs, scored a cup winning goal in his career

Gilmour is 8th in all time playoff scoring, Mats had a bunch of completely meaningless 30 goal years.

Gilmour burned out? That's a spicey take.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At least Gilmour had dominate play runs, scored a cup winning goal in his career

Gilmour is 8th in all time playoff scoring, Mats had a bunch of completely meaningless 30 goal years.

Gilmour burned out? That's a spicey take.

Yeah did you watch those seasons? Burns literally played Gilmours legs off and he was in steep decline by 1995 and onwards.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
This thread is dumb.

Babcock is planning plan for game 96.

We have the firepower to save guys through the season.

Reactions: Slyfox

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Last Years Even-Strength Points, +/-, Player
4 -5 Tavares
4 -3 Matthews
3 +1 Nylander
2 -4 Johnsson
2 +1 Ennis
2 +2 Marleau
2 -1 Kapanen
1 -4 Marner
1 +5 Hyman
1 +2 C.Brown
1 +1 Moore
1 +1 Gauthier

Perhaps Babcock was sick of seeing his time slide further and further backwards?
Offensively, there wasn't that much separating the top from the bottom.
The top lines and top paid players... relied on skill to a fault. It's almost like a who's who of
who had to work to be a gud pro that had any success in the playoffs.
Boston and St.Louis, their top even strength scorers weren't minus players.
Leafs might of changed their 3rd and 4th lines, but the problem is at the top and
still is.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
For centres, I've got Tavares at 30.2% of our 5v5 time (17th) and Matthews at 29.2% of our 5v5 time (28th).

See for yourself here: Tableau Public
This is a great point. Percentage of ice time is much more telling than total icetime. Otherwise you just include the factor of how many PP opportunities the teams have. Since your post, Matthews has gone up even with Tavares and Nylander has closed in on Marner. That sounds like an adjustment we should see at this point.

Perhaps I'd give some more Tavares time to Kerfoot while they figure things out, but it looks pretty good to me otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad