Matthews ranks 101st among forwards in 5v5 ice time per game

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Are these numbers deflated?

I mean I see some players there only play like 5 mins a game

Is there a way to check a player who gets over 14+ mins a game and where he stands with that?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Are these numbers deflated?

I mean I see some players there only play like 5 mins a game

Is there a way to check a player who gets over 14+ mins a game and where he stands with that?

It's looking only at 5vs5 ice time per games played. If you did only 14+ under those conditions, Matthews wouldn't even make the list.

Reactions: WillNy29

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
His line match ups, stubbornness with line combinations, possibly doesn't play his stars enough as this shows. Although that's the least of the issues.

However, he still needs more from a few key players, the goalie in particular.
our issue is the defensive style babs coaches. loads our blueline with small puckmovers who are ****** when the puck doesnt exit the zone

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Underplaying Matthews.

Overplaying Marner thinking he became Bergeron over night.

I guarantee you if you take Marner off the PK, the PK % will increase and Marner will lead the team in points by the end of the season because putting up points is just what he does when he has the energy to do so.

Let's face it though. Marner is mediocre x 1000000 on the PK. He's not a defensive stud. He's just a forward that will give a high energy back check when he needs to. Let him focus on putting up his 120 points instead.

We've been .500 since January with one of the best rosters in the league. No other coach would have lasted as long as Babcock. wtf is this

edit- sorry this post is sloppy. the marner part is to support that babcock has no idea how to use his players.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Perhaps making it more impressive that Matthews leads the team in points and goals? He's even tied for the +/- lead. Maybe a bit more goal support would have been nice in the loss against STL. It's tougher for me to say lack of offence was the reason for the losses against MTL, and even Tampa.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's been an issue since day one with Matthews and Babcocks refusal to give him more ice time. At the end of the season, I can understand resting him but right now? When hes tearing it up and making crazy money? Not the time to be spreading out ice time. Babcock has always been terrible at managing ice time and line matching. It's a real weakness of his.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If the idea is conserve him for the playoffs, then I'm fine with it. It's really the not biggest issue.

If you look at the way Datsyuk was used by him, only once did average over 21 minutes per game. The rest is between 19-20 minutes and that's with penalty killing as well which Matthews doesn't do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->