Speculation: Matthews/Leafs closing in on new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
OMFG Kipper needs to shut up.

"In a perfect world AM would be getting 16m per year"

Like STFU

He needs to be warned by his bosses to stop saying these things.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Thought it would be a hair lower if it was 5 years. It's steep for only getting 1 UFA year but it saves the drama of a prolonged negotiation and gives cost certainty on a great player. Not much else could have been done, makes you wonder how high the number would have had to be over 8 lol.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yuck... that would be a terrible overpayment :/

Terrible? Probably over by about 1M based on comparables for one of the best goal scorers in the past 2-3 years. We'll live if that means we can't overpay for a free agent for a year or two.

Reactions: stickty111

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So I'll be honest, if that is the deal I hate it so much. Not worth that much at all. Just give him the McDavid contract if that is the case, get the extra 3 years for 1M. He has no case to argue he is worth more than McDavid anyways.

Also incoming LOL overpayment and "Matthews taking the shortest term possible to go home" posts on the Main boards.

I am especially looking forward to the 11M for a RFA who has never hit 70 points one. That is always good for a knee slapper

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It is kinda wierd that anyone knows anything here. Leafs have been airtight lately.

Please surprise me with 11m x 8
I hope they just give Matthews the JT contract straight up. 11 x 7 years.

Hopefully JT was brought in to be an internal cap ceiling

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Like ****

I do agree with that, in a perfect would McDavid would be getting $25m-30M a season,
Matthews and his level of player $15-20M
and marner and his level of players $10-15M
unfortunately they are artificially capped by the salary cap. Especially McDavid they make far more money for the league than they are paid in salaries

Reactions: DanM

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Like ****

Kipper's comments about new sources of gambling revenue and the new CBA's impact on the cap going forward are really interesting, actually.

Reactions: Menzinger and DanM

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
11 range should be 7 or 8 years.
I'll be very disappointed if 5 years at 11 is the best Dubas can do. If its 5 years we should see a number starting with an 8 or a 9 in my opinion.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Terrible? Probably over by about 1M based on comparables for one of the best goal scorers in the past 2-3 years. We'll live if that means we can't overpay for a free agent for a year or two.

McDavid got 1M more for 3 more years. He had a scoring title and a playoff series win under his belt when he signed. Matthews has injury concerns, and hasn't actually hit 70 points in a year. Everything is projection at this point.

In essence, this would be like the Leafs paying him 14M for 8 years and to be quite honest, not only is that not a discount in the slightest, it's a massive over payment as I am not even sure McDavid's cap% hits that right now.

I have no faith in Dubas' ability to negotiate a contract. Tavares only took less because he wanted to. The kids are making a fool out of him.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Love the people who think that nickel and dimeing the best player the Leafs have had in a long, long time is a good idea. Matthews was ALWAYS, repeat ALWAYS going to get whatever he wanted in a contract and the best fans could hope for would be that he would give the Leafs a break on salary or not request crazy money. But let's wring our hands because he might get $1-2 million more per year than poster's expect he should get. Or do people think it's a brilliant idea to let him sit on the sidelines a la Nylander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad