Matthews is averaging 30 ESG in his first two seasons (28/30 this year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthewbis average defensively unlike Bergeron. Bergeron is a ppg player this year unlike Matthews
He said you need to be a PPG to be an elite player in the NHL. Bergeron hasn't been a ppg until this season. Are you telling me Patrice Bergeron hasn't been elite for the past 8 seasons, regardless of what you think of Matthews?

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
You see, (some) Leafs fans? Your well-earned reputation for contempt and puffery has poisoned the well for many to actually praise Leafs players when they deserve it. Not me, tho. I hockey-hate the Leafs with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns, but I have zero issues stating that Auston Matthews is a grotesquely-talented player, who is on a path to consistently be the 2nd-best player/forward in the league. He is INCREDIBLE.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What I am getting from this thread and discussion is Even strength goals is being used as the sole factor of being an elite player.

Truth is there are many factors. Playmaking, defensive play, making players better, impact on a team, PP, PK. All things that need to be in the conversation.

Matthews is an elite goal scorer. I don't think anyone has ever argued he is not. Time will tell on the rest. I would say he is trending in that direction. The one thing I would still like to see is him closing the ratio of goals to assists.

Right now.
Elite goal scorer
Average playmaker

If he improves on his playmaking, then there will be few questions whether he is elite or not.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What I am getting from this thread and discussion is Even strength goals is being used as the sole factor of being an elite player.

Truth is there are many factors. Playmaking, defensive play, making players better, impact on a team, PP, PK. All things that need to be in the conversation.

Matthews is an elite goal scorer. I don't think anyone has ever argued he is not. Time will tell on the rest. I would say he is trending in that direction. The one thing I would still like to see is him closing the ratio of goals to assists.

Right now.
Elite goal scorer
Average playmaker

If he improves on his playmaking, then there will be few questions whether he is elite or not.

It has to be said, you're getting worse and worse at this.

Matthews assists per game destroys Laine's this year, but I, and everyone that knows hockey knows Laine is high-end play maker as well, despite his low assist rates this year.

The truth is, both players are high end play makers, and it's obvious when you watch them, but you're so afraid of Matthews for some reason that you always come off looking sour and insecure discussing him.

It's okay man, he's an elite franchise center, it's good for the NHL!
____

As for this thread, the thing that makes this the most impressive to me is that Babcock still has Matthews on a leash. He doesn't play him 19+ minutes a game, he doesn't play him with the best players on the team on one stacked line, and he doesn't play him on the #1 PP unit.

All signs point to Matthews moving up to the Marner PP next year and that has the potential to be crazy deadly.

I mean Kadri and JVR have a combined 21 PP goals, largely thanks to Marner. Slot Matthews in on that PP and it might be lights out.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
It's a shame only injuries could slow down Auston this season. I believe he'll have a great playoff run to make up for it!

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It has to be said, you're getting worse and worse at this.

Matthews assists per game destroys Laine's this year, but I, and everyone that knows hockey knows Laine is high-end play maker as well, despite his low assist rates this year.

The truth is, both players are high end play makers, and it's obvious when you watch them, but you're so afraid of Matthews for some reason that you always come off looking sour and insecure discussing him.

It's okay man, he's an elite franchise center, it's good for the NHL!
____

As for this thread, the thing that makes this the most impressive to me is that Babcock still has Matthews on a leash. He doesn't play him 19+ minutes a game, he doesn't play him with the best players on the team on one stacked line, and he doesn't play him on the #1 PP unit.

All signs point to Matthews moving up to the Marner PP next year and that has the potential to be crazy deadly.

I mean Kadri and JVR have a combined 21 PP goals, largely thanks to Marner. Slot Matthews in on that PP and it might be lights out.

I stopped reading when you mentioned Laine in this thread. Which probably tells me your post was off as usual.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fans annoyingly overrate their own players because they've been crapped on by other fan bases for years? Is that what's going on?
We've heard this myth over and over. It is not true. They do not do it more than any other fanbase.
Leaf fans have gotten horrific hate long before HF ever existed.
Also, we need to end this "This is why people hate Leaf fans" nonsense, considering it is ALWAYS a different reason.:laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We've heard this myth over and over. It is not true. They do not do it more than any other fanbase.
Leaf fans have gotten horrific hate long before HF ever existed.

If Matthews was drafted by any other team, that fan base wouldn't anoint him generational just cause they are butt sore over missing out on a true generational player.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If Matthews was drafted by any other team, that fan base wouldn't anoint him generational just cause they are butt sore over missing out on a true generational player.
Can you actually give me a% of Leaf fans that say he is generational?
The most vocal person to say Matthews is generational is the Capitals coach. I provided the quote in this thread.
If Matthews was drafted by Arizona you all would love him and we'd hear less arguments how Eichel is better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can you actually give me a% of Leaf fans that say he is generational?
The most vocal person to say Matthews is generational is the Capitals coach. I provided the quote in this thread.
If Matthews was drafted by Arizona you all would love him and we'd hear less arguments how Eichel is better.

Yeh I'm gonna count all the overrating Matthews posts and compare them to the ones that don't. Lol. Fact is, it's enough overrating for MANY fans to notice, get annoyed by, and then subsequently hate the Leafs because of it. The capitals coach? Does he post on here?

And if Matthews was drafted by Arizona yeh people would probably love him more. Again, that's on leaf fans. Personally, I don't hate or like Matthews any more or less than any other player that doesn't play for my team. But I like to rate him accurately, you know as a top 30ish Player in the league.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeh I'm gonna count all the overrating Matthews posts and compare them to the ones that don't. Lol. Fact is, it's enough overrating for MANY fans to notice, get annoyed by, and then subsequently hate the Leafs because of it. The capitals coach? Does he post on here?

And if Matthews was drafted by Arizona yeh people would probably love him more. Again, that's on leaf fans. Personally, I don't hate or like Matthews any more or less than any other player that doesn't play for my team. But I like to rate him accurately, you know as a top 30ish Player in the league.
Blah, blah, blah. 5 % at most say it, so I will be lazy and claim it is all Leaf fans. Go ask the fans on the Leaf board and see the responses.
Leaf fans have taken unfair shots for years.
And nice try at deflecting Trotz' statement.
I am a Leaf fan, so let me guess, I believe Matthews is generational and better than Mcdavid, right?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Blah, blah, blah. 5 % at most say it, so I will be lazy and claim it is all Leaf fans. Go ask the fans on the Leaf board and see the responses.
Leaf fans have taken unfair shots for years.

Lol probably 5% NOW. It only took 2 years of sub-generational play and McDavid showing the league what genererational actually looks like. The reason people say Leafs fans overrate Matthews is because we remember the generational threads, the McDavid vs Matthews threads, etc etc. We remember when Matthews hit us with the 4 lol

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Lol probably 5% NOW. It only took 2 years of sub-generational play and McDavid showing the league what genererational actually looks like. The reason people say Leafs fans overrate Matthews is because we remember the generational threads, the McDavid vs Matthews threads, etc etc. We remember when Matthews hit us with the 4 lol
It was never more than that. Stop taking a few drunken morons, which every team has and attributing them to an entire fanbase.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It was way more than that. Sober leaf fans included.

Similar proportion of Oiler fans that told us their team was so much better than ours? Every fan base has their idiots. At the end of the day, at least we can still watch our team 2 weeks from now. Be on your way sir.

(P.S. to the Oiler fans I respect, this message wasnt directed at you. This poster, however, deserves to be put in his place.)

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There is a poster on this board that actually has the name "MARNERISa4THLINER. But it's all Leaf fans? How many more fans have Laughs in their username? The hate is overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad