Confirmed with Link: Matthews (C), Tavares named to Atlantic All-Star roster; Marner, Rielly, Andersen notable omissions

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I get that every team has to be represented and thus a lot of the best players have to be left off but they even did that wrong sending Stammer and Tavares as the 2 extras when those F slots should have been for guys like Larkin and Domi opening up the extra slots for Rielly and Vasilevsky/Andersen. Or at least using Marner/Point instead of lesser players.

From the selection committees perspective Marner and Point are the lesser players, when talking Matthews/Tavares and Kucherov/Stamkos.

More points don't necessarily mean better players or there would be no selection/voting process, simply look at the NHL scoring standings and take the highest scoring player from each team and your done.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here is the complete list of players on the Last Men In ballot:
Atlantic Division

Boston Bruins:
Patrice Bergeron (F)
Buffalo Sabres: Jeff Skinner (F)
Detroit Red Wings: Dylan Larkin (F)
Florida Panthers: Aleksander Barkov (F)
Montreal Canadiens: Shea Weber (D)
Ottawa Senators: Mark Stone (F)
Tampa Bay Lightning: Brayden Point (F)
Toronto Maple Leafs: Morgan Rielly (D)
Metropolitan Division

Carolina Hurricanes:
Teuvo Teravainen (F)
Columbus Blue Jackets: Nick Foligno (F)
New Jersey Devils: Kyle Palmieri (F)
New York Islanders: Anders Lee (F)
New York Rangers: Mats Zuccarello (F)
Philadelphia Flyers: Jakub Voracek (F)
Pittsburgh Penguins: Kris Letang (D)
Washington Capitals: Nicklas Backstrom (F)
Central Division

Chicago Blackhawks:
Jonathan Toews (F)
Colorado Avalanche: Gabriel Landeskog (F)
Dallas Stars: Tyler Seguin (F)
Minnesota Wild: Zach Parise (F)
Nashville Predators: Filip Forsberg (F)
St. Louis Blues: Vladimir Tarasenko (F)
Winnipeg Jets: Patrik Laine (F)
Pacific Division

Anaheim Ducks:
Ryan Getzlaf (F)
Arizona Coyotes: Oliver Ekman-Larsson (D)
Calgary Flames: Mark Giordano (D)
Edmonton Oilers: Leon Draisaitl (F)
Los Angeles Kings: Anze Kopitar (F)
San Jose Sharks: Logan Couture (F)
Vancouver Canucks: Brock Boeser (F)
Vegas Golden Knights: Jonathan Marchessault (F)

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I really feel strongly that Rielly should be there. Has the highest scoring defenseman ever been snubbed?

I hope Leafs Nation comes out to vote in support

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I really feel strongly that Rielly should be there. Has the highest scoring defenseman ever been snubbed?

I hope Leafs Nation comes out to vote in support

Yes, just last season.

John Carlson of the Caps was the NHL's highest scoring Dman last year, and will be attending his 1st All-Star game this year.

All-star game representation isn't based solely on most points in about 1/2 a current season, this is Rielly's first year where he is having a strong campaign. Last year he didn't receive a single Norris trophy vote. So this is essentially year #1 of establishing himself as an elite NHL Dman, so you need to earn All-Star recognition.

However with Leafs large fan base there is still a strong chance the Fans put Morgan into the game.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
NHL should have put Duchene or Stone in there for Ottawa, given Chabot's spot to Rielly, and removed Tavares.

At least if they were fixated in getting a player for every team in there.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
For once I agree with Burke, get rid of the one player per team bs. What kind of communist construct is that anyway? I say, only the hosting city should be guaranteed a player., that's it. I must say, even when they first started this one player per team concept, I didn't like it. I believe it started when one city hosted an All Star game and they didn't have a player on it (I forget the team and the year, but it was a source of some ridicule by the media).

Definitely Reilly should not be left off the team, possibly Marner as well.

Reactions: Dough72

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yes, just last season.

John Carlson of the Caps was the NHL's highest scoring Dman last year, and will be attending his 1st All-Star game this year.

All-star game representation isn't based solely on most points in about 1/2 a current season, this is Rielly's first year where he is having a strong campaign. Last year he didn't receive a single Norris trophy vote. So this is essentially year #1 of establishing himself as an elite NHL Dman, so you need to earn All-Star recognition.

However with Leafs large fan base there is still a strong chance the Fans put Morgan into the game.

Actually, at January 1st last year, Carlsson wasn't leading the defensmen in points...

Klingberg was 1st by 3 points (34)
Carlsson was 2nd and there were 6 other d-men that were within 3 points of him....

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Rielly does not get in then things are not right on the selection committee.

I get the Tavares and Stammer picks over Marner and Point as it is all about marketing the game with more well known players.

Also Vasi should have been there too. He is by most opinions the best goalie in NHL today. Price was the best with a well known name in the game so i get that one too. Howard common on??? That is a joke.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Tavares probably doesn’t even want to go he’s done this a bunch of times. Rielly and Marner should get the chance to live out the childhood dream.

Tiggaracing

Mar 2, 2014
Dumb that Rielly, Marner and Andersen aren't there but I'm not gonna get all hot and bothered by an AllStar game I won't watch anyway.

Meh, remove all the Leafs and just give them a rest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leaf fans should be focused on not only did Matthews get named to the team but he was named Captain of the Atlantic team.

That is a great accomplishment and his 19 goals in 25 games is well deserved recognition. :clap:

Reactions: Its not your fault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad