Player Discussion Matthew Tkachuk - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Trade Tkachuk while you still can, talk to Gaudreau see what he wants.

I have a feeling we lose Gaudreau for nothing and we lose Tkachuk for little to peanuts.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Boy, thats a brutal interview from a dude who's done sweet F all when the season was on the line and in the play offs in previous years.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Trade Tkachuk while you still can, talk to Gaudreau see what he wants.

I have a feeling we lose Gaudreau for nothing and we lose Tkachuk for little to peanuts.

One can hope.

Burn this organization to the motherf***ing ground. Losing Gaudreau for nothing and Tkachuk demanding out might and I say might (because this organization is completely incompetent) lead to real change in the organization aka a full blown rebuild, not this 1.5 year rebuild and then add free agents and stick in mediocrity.

Reactions: viper0220

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It's probably been said before from people memeing, "Tkachuk's are just waiting to go to St. Louis", but within the next 3-5 years I am 100% positive both Tkachuk boys will be on the same team, and that team won't be Ottawa or Calgary or anything other team besides St. Louis.

They're both good players, but they also think of themselves way too highly. Even Matty hasn't hit a PPG season yet and his playoffs have all been absolute trash, yet the guy wants (anyone with a sense of reality can tell this) all the money, captaincy for him.

Matty, maybe show up for one playoff run, you've had 3 now and not only has he been bad, but he has been counterproductive, absolutely useless. Where is the London Knights playoff Tkachuk?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tkachuks are the pro at contract negotiations. Treliving can bully the inexperienced but not them.

The Tkachuks are going to get paid and decide where they want to be.

I am still on the fence on Matthew but I would trade him if I can get something good for him. I would do Tkachuk for Marner or Eichel without thinking twice even with all the problems Marner and Eichel have,

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Tkachuks are the pro at contract negotiations. Treliving can bully the inexperienced but not them.

The Tkachuks are going to get paid and decide where they want to be.

I am still on the fence on Matthew but I would trade him if I can get something good for him. I would do Tkachuk for Marner or Eichel without thinking twice even with all the problems Marner and Eichel have,

Is am still holding out hope that there is a major trade, there is still time until the training camp opens and there are some high profile RFA's that need to be signed and some of those teams don't have cap space.

Reactions: DFF

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Jeez one poor season and fans want you run out of town. No wonder nobody wants to play here.

I mean given the speculation fans are beyond wary of tkachuk at this point. He hasn’t done himself any favours with this past season of his bringing all sorts of problems with it.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Is am still holding out hope that there is a major trade, there is still time until the training camp opens and there are some high profile RFA's that need to be signed and some of those teams don't have cap space.

Aside from Nolan Patrick and Robert "Matchbox 20" Thomas, the only other decent RFA's are either 10.2 (c) which means they can't be offer-sheeted, or are most likely going to re-sign with their respective teams.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Get your money, owners like Dolan, Edwards and Melnyk have leverage on basically everyone, not everyone has to give into that. But Matt needs a big season to warrant franchise 10+ money

Reactions: Magnum23

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Aside from Nolan Patrick and Robert "Matchbox 20" Thomas, the only other decent RFA's are either 10.2 (c) which means they can't be offer-sheeted, or are most likely going to re-sign with their respective teams.

I am not talking about offer sheeting anyone, I am just saying that some with teams with top RFA's are very close to the cap and they might need to dump some players and we maybe the team involved in the trade somehow.

Is it likely? Probably not but I have a little hope.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I am not talking about offer sheeting anyone, I am just saying that some with teams with top RFA's are very close to the cap and they might need to dump some players and we maybe the team involved in the trade somehow.

Is it likely? Probably not but I have a little hope.

We're right at the cap too, so anything not a lateral move at best will cost us futures, which is not a very good idea at this juncture imo. It would pretty much have to be for Petey or Quinn for me to be on board with it.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We're right at the cap too, so anything not a lateral move at best will cost us futures, which is not a very good idea at this juncture imo. It would pretty much have to be for Petey or Quinn for me to be on board with it.

It is just me holding on to some hope but this team that is right now in front of our eyes, is the team going into this season.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Jeez one poor season and fans want you run out of town. No wonder nobody wants to play here.

Its either that, or fans are sick of an arrogant douche who cant skate, has 3 goals in 15 play off games, never had a PPG season yet is somehow entitled to franchise player money.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I mean given the speculation fans are beyond wary of tkachuk at this point. He hasn’t done himself any favours with this past season of his bringing all sorts of problems with it.

Sure, fans who want to cling to any bit of internet speculation as some kind of tangible proof he's the team cancer. Was still our 3rd leading scorer last season and stood up for his teammates. Not going to overreact to a bs COVID season where we only played 6 other teams with no fans in the stands.

Its either that, or fans are sick of an arrogant douche who cant skate, has 3 goals in 15 play off games, never had a PPG season yet is somehow entitled to franchise player money.

He's not making franchise player money? Not even really close to it. Iginla had two playoff points his first 7 seasons in Calgary. Tkachuk is an easy scapegoat for a team that couldn't identify a 1C if he came and sat on their face.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sure, fans who want to cling to any bit of internet speculation as some kind of tangible proof he's the team cancer. Was still our 3rd leading scorer last season and stood up for his teammates. Not going to overreact to a bs COVID season where we only played 6 other teams with no fans in the stands.

He's not making franchise player money? Not even really close to it. Iginla had two playoff points his first 7 seasons in Calgary. Tkachuk is an easy scapegoat for a team that couldn't identify a 1C if he came and sat on their face.

That excuses holds little weight when every other team and player had those same struggles. I emphasize more with nurses or front line workers who’ve had the worst of it more than hockey players tbh. And the lackadaisical play he showed after the muzzin incident definitely deserves criticism.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
That excuses holds little weight when every other team and player had those same struggles. I emphasize more with nurses or front line workers who’ve had the worst of it more than hockey players tbh. And the lackadaisical play he showed after the muzzin incident definitely deserves criticism.
I think we can acknowledge that front line workers and nurses went through more hard ships while also acknowledging that doesn't discredit other peoples hardships, and doesn't imply that Tkachuk's struggles are entirely internalized factors. Even then, bringing up the nurses and front line workers is just weird when discussing how the pandemic can impact an emotionally charged player that feeds off the crowd.

This doesn't help the case that these reactions aren't driving players out of town.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Supposedly he got reamed out by his teammates after trying to tell them he's tired of losing. Been a shell of himself since then too. Wonder how bad it got in the locker room.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Supposedly he got reamed out by his teammates after trying to tell them he's tired of losing. Been a shell of himself since then too. Wonder how bad it got in the locker room.

Source? Is this the same time as the puck flip thing?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The guy played most of the year looking distracted, he still put up points but stopped playing the hard nosed Tkachuk style that made him a fan favorite. If he gets his head right he will be a franchise winger, if not we should move him before we get to a Evander Kane situation.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Source? Is this the same time as the puck flip thing?

Yep. That's what pushed it.

Matt Tkachuk Was Pissed Off At Teammates After Loss To Toronto - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

"Calgary held a players-only meeting last Friday, and it sounds like he conveyed that message. It was received, although some comments were made to him that it can't be a riot every night. Get your feelings in the open, get it sorted out, and play. The results speak for themselves."

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think we can acknowledge that front line workers and nurses went through more hard ships while also acknowledging that doesn't discredit other peoples hardships, and doesn't imply that Tkachuk's struggles are entirely internalized factors. Even then, bringing up the nurses and front line workers is just weird when discussing how the pandemic can impact an emotionally charged player that feeds off the crowd.

This doesn't help the case that these reactions aren't driving players out of town.

I don’t doubt anyone hasn’t had struggles, but the source of his lackadaisical play was the puck flip incident and onwards. Covid had already been around for almost a yr at that point, so that’s why the particular excuse holds little weight to me when we didn’t see those “struggles” beforehand.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Tkachuk is a Sutter type of player though. Isn't he?

I think Sutter will either (positive) ride him and he'll either really enjoy himself and have a big year, I'd even predict a career year

...or (negative) ride him out of town because the team falters and he tunes out again.

And I've said it before, at some point during the season if things are really not working out, we're not going to get a rebuild. It's going to be Tkachuk+ to St. Louis for Tarasenko+. Write it down.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
And I've said it before, at some point during the season if things are really not working out, we're not going to get a rebuild. It's going to be Tkachuk+ to St. Louis for Tarasenko+. Write it down.

dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me-michael-clarke.gif

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Tkachuk is a Sutter type of player though. Isn't he?

I think Sutter will either (positive) ride him and he'll either really enjoy himself and have a big year, I'd even predict a career year

...or (negative) ride him out of town because the team falters and he tunes out again.

Why not a three way deal with Buffalo where we get Eichel…I’m sure Monahan doesn’t have STL on his NTC :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad