Player Discussion Matthew Tkachuk - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Considering Tre played hard ball with Gaudreau over his salary it was strange he paid Tkachuk but didn't get a long term deal locked up. It's one of the big reasons I'm on board with trading Tkachuk in a hockey deal as I don't think he will be worth the contact he gets after his last rfa year.

???

There's rumors that many GMs hinted and pressured Treliving/the league in hoping that RFA contracts stayed low and they didn't want Gaudreau to push the ceiling higher. The Gio cap is the reasoning used in our org, but league wide, I don't believe they wanted Gaudreau to go to 7.5-8 AAV. Furthermore, it we also know that a lot of the holdout was a lot of Gaudreau's agent posturing. Gaudreau admitted he literally was not involved in the negotiations until he basically started sitting out of training camp and games (and was contacted by Monahan to get involved).

Tkachuk's situation was also a cap constraint. After locking him up to the bridge, we had like less than $50K left in cap space IIRC. What most may not remember is that the Kadri deal had significant additional implications. With the Kadri deal and the rumored flipping of Brown to Ottawa, I believe our cap situation improved around 1.5-1.75 AAV. I think with that additional space, I'm guessing we would have attempted to lock Tkachuk down in an 8x8, but because we didn't have the cap space from moving Brodie/Janko long term, the two parties were not able to agree upon a long term deal and went ot a bridge deal instead (which I believe they mentioned).

Lol. 10/10.

You could argue he was maybe a million too much aav for the time, but his contract has ended up as a bargain and frankly I don’t think made a big difference in the long run. When Matthew’s got 11.5 million for 5 yrs that’s when the market changed, and because we were so cap strapped we had to bridge tkachuk to that contract.

It was 1-1.5 too high at the time. The only reason why it's not as big of a deal now is that it was quickly overshadowed by the fact his stats match the contract, but also Toronto went and screwed up the contracts baseline not once, but like 4 times in quick succession with Marner, Matthews, Tavares and Nylander (who basically piggybacked off Marner/Matthews). Many future contracts had to follow those ones since then.

Barkov maybe, Mackinnon just had yet to break out when he signed his. He only averaged ~50 points over his first three seasons

Barkov, MacKinnon and Monahan were all similar calibre RFA at the time of their extensions. IIRC they all pushed the envelope, but were still all considered fair and reasonable contracts. Monahan was in the lead points wise due to the fact both Barkov and Mack were on bad teams at the time. RFA contracts at that time rarely went over 6.5 and I think there were some concerns about breaking the 7AAV mark which is why Gaudreau's contract stalled for a bit.

Toronto and Edmonton really messed up the market in terms of how to deal with RFA's.
Insane to me guys coming out of ELC demand the highest salaries in the NHL without having won anything.

I get McDavid. You have to pay the best player on the planet what he's worth. But Toronto pooched by giving Tavares that massive contract while only having ELC's signed. You weren't going to be able to convince Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner that Tavares was worth 11 million, and them 8.

Yep. It wasn't even just the AAV that was bad. The durations were bad too. It's less bad if those RFA had max 8 year term on those, but the shorter duration meant that the ceiling had been pushed well beyond what the Draisaitl contract had done before (which technically was just a slight push). The Tavares one was bad in that it pushed UFA contracts so high (unlike Toews and Kane which you can argue were catch up pay for their historical contracts), but if rumors are correct, Toronto was the idiot that inked the deal, but they weren't the only ones with that concept out there. IIRC SJS offered Tavares more, but lost out. They then took that amount and blew it on Karlsson.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
On the right team, Tkachuk is a star.

On the Flames, he is becoming a plug.

Trade him for Eichel ASAP

Mancunian

Dec 6, 2008
I keep hoping the Leafs shake things up with a deal built around Marner for Tkachuk or a three-way deal between the Leafs - Sabres - Flames with Eichel going your way, Tkachuk going our way, and Marner going to the Sabres. If both were options, would Flames fans really prefer Eichel despite the injury concern?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I keep hoping the Leafs shake things up with a deal built around Marner for Tkachuk or a three-way deal between the Leafs - Sabres - Flames with Eichel going your way, Tkachuk going our way, and Marner going to the Sabres. If both were options, would Flames fans really prefer Eichel despite the injury concern?

I've suggested marner + Reilly for Tkachuk + Giordano do you think that would work?

Reactions: Mancunian

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Definitely prefer Eichel. Flames haven't had a franchise caliber center for ages and rarely do they become available.

Eichel might be facing a serious surgery but it has had success in other sports. And without that injury, he'd never be available in the first place.

Reactions: Mancunian

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be game for that if we can sign Dougie Hamilton for a decent deal.
Hamilton couldn't handle the pressure in Calgary, he's not signing in Toronto, that thing from his agent was nothing more than lip service.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m 90% certain that IF we get Eichel, Tkachuk isn’t going the other way. It actually doesn’t make much sense.

If the Flames are serious about being a contender and winning a Cup, you don’t move any of Tkachuk, Lindholm or Gaudreau. You add an Eichel to that core, not move one of them away. If we dealt Tkachuk for Eichel, we have an immediate need to find a player like him. Mangi is a fantastic player, but he’s not Tkachuk. I would do Monahan, Dube, Zary, 1st for Eichel and that’s a solid offer.

Also a bigger need to me than Eichel, is a top pairing dman. I have really high hopes for Hanifin, but he’s not a true #1 unless he can really start to generate more offence.

Reactions: Janks

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’m 90% certain that IF we get Eichel, Tkachuk isn’t going the other way. It actually doesn’t make much sense.

If the Flames are serious about being a contender and winning a Cup, you don’t move any of Tkachuk, Lindholm or Gaudreau. You add an Eichel to that core, not move one of them away. If we dealt Tkachuk for Eichel, we have an immediate need to find a player like him. Mangi is a fantastic player, but he’s not Tkachuk. I would do Monahan, Dube, Zary, 1st for Eichel and that’s a solid offer.

Also a bigger need to me than Eichel, is a top pairing dman. I have really high hopes for Hanifin, but he’s not a true #1 unless he can really start to generate more offence.

I would too, but why Buffalo would idk. Even for a question mark eichel, I doubt the flames are getting him for pieces that are expendable.

I don’t see the fit tbh. Tkachuk and monahan are 2 yrs from ufa, and if Buffalo wants futures Calgary is quite easy to beat.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I've suggested marner + Reilly for Tkachuk + Giordano do you think that would work?
That makes zero sense the money is all wrong , Chuckie and Gio are in the final year of their deals and are getting no signing bonus this final year of their deals in fact Chuckie cost 9mill this year all salary . You don't give up a cost controlled first team all star for a final year UFA making 2 mill in actual more than his AAV it's just plain stupid .
If your looking to make a deal for Chuckie then Nylander with 3 years left who after already getting this years bonus only costs you 2.5 this year plus the 6 each for the following 2 years is a deal being below his 6.95 AAV . The Leafs can eat the 2 over AAV in exchange for a pick of some sort in a Chuckie for Nylander + mid pick .
I hate Reilly's game but 1 year of Gio at 6.75 for 1 year of Reilly at 5 doesn't help the Leafs cap any so again the money is wrong .Better to take a shot at Hanifin or Tanev but really Toronto needs to deal him for picks and use his 5 mill elsewhere maybe Reilly for Stone +2 and a conditional 3rd or 4th ? Stone is 31 coming off a 3.5 per deal probably looking at a Dermott type deal which would work .

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That makes zero sense the money is all wrong , Chuckie and Gio are in the final year of their deals and tare getting no signing bonus in the final year of their deals in fact Chuckie cost 9mill this year all salary . You don't give up a cost controlled first team all star for a final year UFA making 2 mill in actual more than his AAV it's just plain stupid .
If your looking to make a deal for Chuckie then Nylander with 3 years left who after already getting this years bonus only costs you 2.5 this year plus the 6 each for the following 2 years is a deal being below his 6.95 AAV . The Leafs can eat the 2 over AAV in exchange for a pick of some sort in a Chuckie for Nylander + mid pick .
I hate Reilly's game but 1 year of Gio at 6.75 for 1 year of Reilly at 5 doesn't help the Leafs cap any so again the money is wrong .Better to take a shot at Hanifin or Tanev but really Toronto needs to deal him for picks and use his 5 mill elsewhere maybe Reilly for Stone +2 and a conditional 3rd or 4th ? Stone is 31 coming off a 3.5 per deal probably looking at a Dermott type deal which would work .

This post hurt my brain.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016

Vegas, LA and Rangers (if Buffalo is willing to trade him there) will crap all over that offer.

If it was the other way around and Eichel was a Flame I would laugh at Monahan Dube Zary and 1st unless the first is a top 3 pick.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Vegas, LA and Rangers (if Buffalo is willing to trade him there) will crap all over that offer.

If it was the other way around and Eichel was a Flame I would laugh at Monahan Dube Zary and 1st unless the first is a top 3 pick.

Honestly that’s fine with me. I’m one of the few that’s hesitant to get Eichel. I’m not sure he’s a leader, I don’t think he’s a guy that really elevates players on his line, his health is extremely concerning to me. I would rather get Reinhart due to the cost.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Honestly that’s fine with me. I’m one of the few that’s hesitant to get Eichel. I’m not sure he’s a leader, I don’t think he’s a guy that really elevates players on his line, his health is extremely concerning to me. I would rather get Reinhart due to the cost.

Same. I think Vegas will make a play, and that could make a guy like Marchessault available. Then see if you can grab a winger like Buchnevich, Labanc or Garland.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm sure the money is fine but the term is probably a non-starter for him (and the other Tkachuks). Despite the captaincy and all the potential, still not sure what they're exactly looking for considering he's a steady 0.65 ppg guy.

Treliving lost the first round of negotiations with Matt. Knowing the way he holds grudges, if he's still around in the summer we'll be in for an ugly contract stalemate. Real possibility he gets traded

Reactions: Dack and super6646

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Says a lot about them. I wouldn’t be surprised if Matty has an overinflated sense of worth too.
I don't know if it's necessarily overinflated sense of worth. Look at how badly Ottawa has been handling things for years. Then look at how the Stone trade went down (apparently Stone was really close to a lot of the rookies). With the lack of any kind of improvement over the last 3 years (and trading away the players who could have helped them improve), is it any surprise that Brady doesn't want a long term contract unless it is a gross overpayment?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm sure the money is fine but the term is probably a non-starter for him (and the other Tkachuks). Despite the captaincy and all the potential, still not sure what they're exactly looking for considering he's a steady 0.65 ppg guy.

Treliving lost the first round of negotiations with Matt. Knowing the way he holds grudges, if he's still around in the summer we'll be in for an ugly contract stalemate. Real possibility he gets traded

Yeah I didn't want to be the one to point it out but the Tkachuks are clearly looking to maximize earnings. Keith took shorter term to make that happen and his sons might too. If the contract is going to be awful Treliving (or more likely his replacement) should trade him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad