Rumor: Matthew Tkachuk done with the Flames?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah think its the right move for them,grab a solid top 9 or two with little term and just keep developing ...The bigger pieces should come later

Yeah, Zegras/Comtois/Drysdale and adding Beniers/Hughes/Clarke/etc. to that (I trust Ducks scouts) should be a decent core. It would be great to add a top 2 pick next year, I seriously doubt that will happen.

Reactions: topshelf15

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not true. The Flames can opt for team elected salary arbitration in which case the arbitrator would reward 85% of Tkachuk's last years total salary. That would equal $7.65M for the one year.

really? I’m pretty sure you have to qualify him to get to RFA. You qualify and he can choose to sign or not?

thars how it has been explained for sever

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
He would be a real nice fit in Toronto but around the NHL a team would pony up way more then what Toronto could put together. I would think Calgary would probably want to trade him out of division and out of the conference so they only have to deal with him twice a season?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Keep it simple, build something around Eichel for him and Monahan. Throwing Olofsson as just an example.

Monahan would be quite interesting from a Buffalo POV. He could play center while Cozens and Mittlestadt prove that their uptick at the end of the year wasn't just a fluke.

That said, we'd be taking on an extra $3 million in salary. You're not getting something as valuable as Olofsson in addition.

Eichel and Eakin for MT and Monahan?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It's a question of value. Tkachuk gets you more than Gaudreau and Monahan combined. The 2 guys I wouldn't move are Lindholm and Mangiapane.
I agree in that Lindholm is the player I’d most rather have of the flames forwards in trade . Mangiapaine is going to be a 30g guy or very close to it .

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't think they will rebuild with this owner. They might be able to make a couple of changes and sneak into the playoffs, but they just don't have the pieces to be a contender.

Of course neither does Montreal and look at them go.
I guess,but what do Calgary fans want???Try and cobble together another playoff team and hope for a run ,or do the rebuild right and gain a consistent playoff threat that can last years...I love the Flames and western Canada and will move there if u guys separate lol

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Dream scenario for divisional rivals is Tkachuk traded and Flames trading for overrated OEL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He would be a real nice fit in Toronto but around the NHL a team would pony up way more then what Toronto could put together. I would think Calgary would probably want to trade him out of division and out of the conference so they only have to deal with him twice a season?

I hate the Leafs................and I hate this idea.

But a deal around Marner and Tkachuk might work out nicely for both sides.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, Zegras/Comtois/Drysdale and adding Beniers/Hughes/Clarke/etc. to that (I trust Ducks scouts) should be a decent core. It would be great to add a top 2 pick next year, I seriously doubt that will happen.
Yep like us here in Ottawa the lotto balls havent been that kind to us either...I hope u guys get what you need though as we have a revenge cup to play for soon I hope

Reactions: lwvs84

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
yes but he has to agree to that or just take a 1 year 9 million

he would have to agree to take less. So he picks his spot.

Why would he agree to take less?

Job security.

Who knows, maybe he'll join the legions of NHL super star mercenaries who sign 1 year contracts every year after they turn 24.

Reactions: Bond

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Anyway, SOB is a pile of refuse but I wouldn't surprise if Tkachuk did indeed want out given the alleged locker room incident this past season. Nevertheless, he's still a 23 year old RFA and would be highly coveted around the league. Not that that's going to stop the influx of crappy proposals. If the Flames can do their jobs, they should be looking at things like

Tkachuk+ for Eichel
Tkachuk for Thomas/Kyrou+
Norris++

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Job security.

Who knows, maybe he'll join the legions of NHL super star mercenaries who sign 1 year contracts every year after they turn 24.

how many NHL stars had the option of taking 9 million for a year or 7.5 for 3…..

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
really? I’m pretty sure you have to qualify him to get to RFA. You qualify and he can choose to sign or not?

thars how it has been explained for sever

From Capfriendly
[*]Club Elected Salary Arbitration eligibility (first window):
  • Club electing for Arbitration in the first window must do so in writing by the later of June 15th OR 48hrs after the Stanley Cup final by 5:00pm EST [CBA Section 12.4(a)]
    • For the 2019-20 off-season, due to the postponed playoffs caused by COVID, the first window is the later of October 4th or 48hrs after the last playoff game played by the respective club
  • Player had a base salary greater than $2,198,916 in 2019 [CBA Section 12.3(a)]
  • Player had a base salary greater than $2,269,479 in 2020 [CBA Section 12.3(a)]
  • Club electing for Arbitration in the first window can be made in lieu of a Qualifying Offer [CBA 12.3(a)(ii)]
  • Player cannot be awarded less than 85% of his previous years combined base salary, signing bonuses and performance bonuses [CBA 12.3(a)(iii)]

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Monahan would be quite interesting from a Buffalo POV. He could play center while Cozens and Mittlestadt prove that their uptick at the end of the year wasn't just a fluke.

That said, we'd be taking on an extra $3 million in salary. You're not getting something as valuable as Olofsson in addition.

Eichel and Eakin for MT and Monahan?

Simple and effective, makes a lot of sense (except for contract lengths). They should do it.

Reactions: Zman5778

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Anyway, SOB is a pile of refuse but I wouldn't surprise if Tkachuk did indeed want out given the alleged locker room incident this past season. Nevertheless, he's still a 23 year old RFA and would be highly coveted around the league. Not that that's going to stop the influx of crappy proposals. If the Flames can do their jobs, they should be looking at things like

Tkachuk+ for Eichel
Tkachuk for Thomas/Kyrou+
Norris++
As much as we would love him here ,it just seems unrealistic...Tkachuk and Stu are our top 6 LW ,we are likely out ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad