Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The premise of the argument was to play Plekanec over DLR so that Plekanec could fetch a 2nd at the deadline. But I don't think he will do that this year. So THAT discussion is pretty much moot.

As for DLR he is only 23, same age as Danault before he became a regular NHLer for us. He has a great shot and needs to start using it more. His potential is third liner, not 4th. I see no reason in a developing year for the team to not give him a chance before Plekanec!

Because YOU don't see Plekanec fetching a 2nd doesn't mean he won't in fact fetch a 2nd. Did you see Plekanec fetching a 2nd last season?

At any rate, if you look back through this thread, you'll see I said DLR should first get a real good look over Plekanec. And, only after that, if he's really bad and dragging down his linemates offensively - remember there will be one or two offensive young players playing on his wings that also need to develop - do you turn to Plekanec and hope to get a 2nd.

At any rate the real reason this discussion is moot is because Julien loves Plekanec. I don't see it being a Pleks vs. DLR situation. Pleks will be in and DLR will have to beat someone else out.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
To put it simply, Peca looks amazing. I know it's hard to get excited about a tiny left handed shot in his mid-twenties, but I think we've got ourselves a gem here. He's only getting overlooked because folks are focusing on the kids, but once the season rolls around, I expect Peca to have a great year for us.

Reactions: sharks9 and 26Mats

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To put it simply, Peca looks amazing. I know it's hard to get excited about a tiny left handed shot in his mid-twenties, but I think we've got ourselves a gem here. He's only getting overlooked because folks are focusing on the kids, but once the season rolls around, I expect Peca to have a great year for us.
Good to hear. I never had chance to watch any preseason games this year. Bergevin's strength is finding these kind of players. A Byron or Dale Weise.

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Peca day to day with groin... If he ends up on IR does kotkaniemi get a couple games?? Groins arent something to rush but does give habs excuse to keep him... As much as Id prefer to see him go back overseas

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's been much better on the wing.

What impressed me most were his reads and deception. Hadn't seen that part of his game much but likely that at this point in his development, the added responsibilities at center might hinder him offensively rather than help him.

Great speed too obviously.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I thought the 4th line played well today. Hudon, Plekanec and Peca. When Shaw comes back who sits?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I thought the 4th line played well today. Hudon, Plekanec and Peca. When Shaw comes back who sits?

Flu could be going around the locker room, so maybe someone else has it, but I would just give Shaw 1 more game to make sure he's completely over it and let that game decide who comes out.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
DLR is kind of situation Kapanen was in, I think if he is surrounded with elite players like how Kapanen is in line with Matthews

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's been much better on the wing.

What impressed me most were his reads and deception. Hadn't seen that part of his game much but likely that at this point in his development, the added responsibilities at center might hinder him offensively rather than help him.

Great speed too obviously.

yeah I wondering if the switch to wing helped. Will be intriguing to see what we have in him.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Not really impressed with Peca. I'd like to see more compete level from him. I would sit him out next game.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The only way Plekanec over DLR is better is if DLR really sucks and playing Plekanec gives us another 2nd at the trade deadline. At this point I would take a new 2nd round pick over DLR.

I highly doubt Plekanec will return a 2n d this year. It's very very unlikely. Maybe a late 3rd.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Because YOU don't see Plekanec fetching a 2nd doesn't mean he won't in fact fetch a 2nd. Did you see Plekanec fetching a 2nd last season?

At any rate, if you look back through this thread, you'll see I said DLR should first get a real good look over Plekanec. And, only after that, if he's really bad and dragging down his linemates offensively - remember there will be one or two offensive young players playing on his wings that also need to develop - do you turn to Plekanec and hope to get a 2nd.

At any rate the real reason this discussion is moot is because Julien loves Plekanec. I don't see it being a Pleks vs. DLR situation. Pleks will be in and DLR will have to beat someone else out.

When is the last time a 4th line player returned a 2nd at the deadline? Unless Plekanec can get his 3rd line center job back he is unlikely to fetch more than a late 3rd and it would be mostly based on his reputation. 4th liners usually return a 4th round pick at the deadline.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
When is the last time a 4th line player returned a 2nd at the deadline? Unless Plekanec can get his 3rd line center job back he is unlikely to fetch more than a late 3rd and it would be mostly based on his reputation. 4th liners usually return a 4th round pick at the deadline.

Really? I'm under the impression that 4th liners aren't really traded for at the trade deadline...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Well he should have been on the 4th line last year for us. I was pleasantly surprised Julien had him on the 4th line and in the pressbox this year, didn't see that coming. It's what I wanted, but not what I thought Julien would do. In the end though, predictably, Julien chose Plekanec over DLR.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Is Peca a lock to remain in the starting 12? Does he warrant staying in the line up? He does bring speed but not much else

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Is Peca a lock to remain in the starting 12? Does he warrant staying in the line up? He does bring speed but not much else
Honestly, I think if Plekanec was healthy Peca would be on the wing or even out of the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad