Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He had half a point per game last year but I'll be honest I thinkI've only seen a couple games where his skill was on display.

Was a very small sample size though. Only 10 games which doesn't mean much. Before this year he had 7 points in 20 games total (0.35 ppg) and now he has 10 points in 30 games total (0.33 ppg). To put things in perspective Hudon has 37 points in 86 games (0.43 ppg), Daniel Carr 34 points in 94 games (0.36 ppg) and Andrighetto 67 points in 158 games (0.42 ppg).

I don't think Peca intangibles are that great. He's fast but if he can't turn that speed into offensive production then i don't think he's a great bottom 6 player. I would take a bigger and better fore-cheker as a bottom 6 player.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Was a very small sample size though. Only 10 games which doesn't mean much. Before this year he had 7 points in 20 games total (0.35 ppg) and now he has 10 points in 30 games total (0.33 ppg). To put things in perspective Hudon has 37 points in 86 games (0.43 ppg), Daniel Carr 34 points in 94 games (0.36 ppg) and Andrighetto 67 points in 158 games (0.42 ppg).

I don't think Peca intangibles are that great. He's fast but if he can't turn that speed into offensive production then i don't think he's a great bottom 6 player. I would take a bigger and better fore-cheker as a bottom 6 player.

I still don't get why Carr hasn't had a shot. Look at his stats

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Tough luck so far for Peca he produced like I thought he would in the preseason but regular season is a different beast. It is tough for him for produce with his most common line mates at 5v5 being DLO/Shaw quite the downgrade from Killorn/Gourde but he has got to know barring injury he isn't going to get a chance. Still a small sample size though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I like his game but I feel like he still needs to iron out some wrinkles.

Definitely. But I'm fine with him as a 4C. I'm good with him and Shaw in the fourth line. The one I'd rather see off the line-up is Deslauriers. I hope Byron is back soon because a Byron - Peca - Shaw fourth line may be fun. And then there's Scherbak who will be back from Laval the latest in two weeks.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely. But I'm fine with him as a 4C. I'm good with him and Shaw in the fourth line. The one I'd rather see off the line-up is Deslauriers. I hope Byron is back soon because a Byron - Peca - Shaw fourth line may be fun. And then there's Scherbak who will be back from Laval the latest in two weeks.

I have Byron ahead of Armia for the top 9, but if Armia finds chemistry with Lehkonen and KK, all the better: I fear a Peca/Plekanec - Armia based 4th line would be an offensive blackhole - a no, no imo in the new NHL.

Byron - Peca/Pleks - Scherbak/Shaw has the chance to be an offensive threat.

Ideally Byron-Peca-Scherbak emerge.

The better our fourth line is, the less tired our other lines get, and the longer we can sustain this pace this season.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I like Peca, but honestly, he's being held back by a very slow Deslauriers. Not sure if they can play well together, 'cause the speed difference is huge. To me, Deslauriers is bound to sit a couple of games becuase he brings nothing right now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I like Peca, but honestly, he's being held back by a very slow Deslauriers. Not sure if they can play well together, 'cause the speed difference is huge. To me, Deslauriers is bound to sit a couple of games becuase he brings nothing right now.
I wish we a faceoff artist instead of Peca. A good faceoff guy to take draws in defensive end. If he could kill penalties be
good as addresses 2 weaknesses. We are weak in faceoff and penalty kill.

Reactions: Vachon23

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I wish we a faceoff artist instead of Peca. A good faceoff guy to take draws in defensive end. If he could kill penalties be
good as addresses 2 weaknesses. We are weak in faceoff and penalty kill.

Faceoffs are basically useless in terms of to win a game. A better player that will score before you get into that ''1 goal lead defensive faceoff''' is so much more valuable. I'd rather be up 4-2 with Peca's offensive capabilities than stuck with Zigomanis (60% faceoff btw) with a 4-3 lead.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I still don't get why Carr hasn't had a shot. Look at his stats

He's +15 in 11 games and 1.27 ppg in the AHL.

Carr has a high IQ and processes the game fast. He would have been good on our fourth line. I think management gave up too fast on both him and Jacob DeLaRose. Too much faith in Matthew Peca who has not proved a single thing yet in his career.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Carr has a high IQ and processes the game fast. He would have been good on our fourth line. I think management gave up too fast on both him and Jacob DeLaRose. Too much faith in Matthew Peca who has not proved a single thing yet in his career.
Frustrating

Reactions: Chr1s97

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
What frustrating to me is the fact that they swap a big 6'3 center to 5'9 unproven center. Like we get it size aint as important as it was. But I still like to add some weight to our o-core.

Reactions: Tyson

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
What frustrating to me is the fact that they swap a big 6'3 center to 5'9 unproven center. Like we get it size aint as important as it was. But I still like to add some weight to our o-core.

Well if the coach will not play the guy then unless the GM is willing to go tell the coach how it is, then it forces the GMs hand. Our coaches over the years have certainly cost us players that were dumped for zip, or should not have been traded because of the coaches views, like Claude Lemieux, Lars Eller etc.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Rather have DLR or Plekanec than this guy tbh. The entire fourth line started out ok, but now with the return of Deslaurier and shaw its only gotten worse. I think Deslauriers should have been waived, he's pure garbage and same for shawzie, someone claims him, great. The team is no worse off and we get rid of a stupid contract that shouldn't have ever been offered.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I complained all last season about Julien not using him and posters said he sucks who cares but they seem to have missed the point. If our team sucks and we couldn't score if our life depended on it, yet when Carr played he produced with little ice time or quality linemates, why wouldn't a coach play him more instead of sporadically like CJ did. To me it just didn't make sense no matter how good or bad Carr was, the point is you had a youngish guy that didn't have a ton of experience so why not give him a much longer look to see what he can do since he was putting up points.

I remember last year that there were rumors, perhaps on hotstove or wherever it was that the Habs weren't sure about trading Shaw (before his injury) when it was very clear that he should be traded since to me he's a guy you want come playoff time as he's got experience there and at least for me as I like him more then most although this year he hasn't been very noticeable at all. They should have traded him once they figured out how bad we were and retained to get max value for him. That would have opened a spot for Carr and who knows, maybe if he put up enough points they would have kept him instead of losing him over 50K or so. I wasn't the biggest Carr fan as I thought he needed to be quicker but he worked hard and could put pucks in the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad