Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't we have to get down to 23? I think all players who aren't in the top 23 and who aren't waiver eligible have to pass through waivers, and therefore can be taken for free.
It will be interesting to see if we carry 2 extra forwards and 1 extra dman, or 2 extra dmen and one extra forward.

If we only had 1 extra forward, it would seem one of Deslauriers, DLR, or Peca will be exposed to waivers.

If we only have 1 extra dman, when Weber comes back, 3 of Oullette, Benn, Alzner, Schlemko, and Lernout will be exposed to waivers (assuming Mete, Juulsen, and Reilly are protected).

Not sure, I think you are allowed to have a 25 man roster but most teams go with a 23 man roster. I was under the understanding that most teams don't want to carry the extra players due to extra cap hit.

Edit: I think you are correct. It's 23 players max.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
I think if he's given the opportunity to play with good players in an offensive role, he could surprise lots of people. He'll develop this year and get his share of points (30-40pts) and could become a 50 point centerman by next year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Type of guy that could explode if given the chance. GIVEN THE CHANCE does not mean 4th liner being freakin Plekanec though....

If he wins the 3c job that would be great. Can't stand watching Pleks anymore. I mean on the one hand it would be great if he could have the type of season he had last year and fetch a 2nd at the tdl. But man is it ever painful watching him for 3/4 of a season until the tdl.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
It was just a scrimmage yesterday but consider me impressed with the speed and skill of Peca

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It was just a scrimmage yesterday but consider me impressed with the speed and skill of Peca

Not sure how many times TB fans get to say I told you so to you guys.

Peca is a legit NHLer at this point, we had no room and it was a regrettable loss despite MTL fans bashing him at the signing. Unlike Drouin, this guys a workhorse with an amazing effort level- he'll pick up a ton of SH points with his speed on the PK.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Peca is a legit NHLer at this point, we had no room and it was a regrettable loss despite MTL fans bashing him at the signing. Unlike Drouin, this guys a workhorse with an amazing effort level- he'll pick up a ton of SH points with his speed on the PK.

Some MTL fans. Many on here liked the signing.

Sections of the fanbase take issue with Bergevin's low risk - low reward moves.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Rather play him as top 6 C than Domi.
Have them both play Top 6 Center. If one of them struggle, move Danault up from the 3rd spot.

We need to give these offensive players a shot in the middle. Both Domi and Peca looked quite comfortable yesterday, but of course that was inter-squad. Let's see if they can do it against real competition.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
I would have no problem having Peca play 2c however I also want to keep Tatar, Danault and Gallagher together.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The real workhorses are in TB's scouting department. Instead of just settling to pick up their excess talent, Habs should strive to hire amateur scouts as competent as theirs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Type of guy that could explode if given the chance. GIVEN THE CHANCE does not mean 4th liner being freakin Plekanec though....

I have Plekanec behind both Peca and DLR on the depth chart.

But, if DLR, after being given a nice stretch of games this year to get comfortable, can't beat out Plekanec, what does that say about DLR? He already couldn't beat out Froese last year. The 4th line was better with Froese than DLR last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have Plekanec behind both Peca and DLR on the depth chart.

But, if DLR, after being given a nice stretch of games this year to get comfortable, can't beat out Plekanec, what does that say about DLR? He already couldn't beat out Froese last year. The 4th line was better with Froese than DLR last year.

Julien has to give them the chance, once he gave DLR more time the better he looked. Carr looked good but still couldn't crack the roster consistently, instead Julien opted to play a lifeless turd in waivers Shaw. If we suck, we should be playing the young players to no end but it took Julien far too long to figure that out and even then he was doing stupid shit like putting Scherbak with waivers Shaw.

Julien has a hard on for Pleks, he should be a 4th line center but I would be shocked if that's where he played all year.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Julien has to give them the chance, once he gave DLR more time the better he looked. Carr looked good but still couldn't crack the roster consistently, instead Julien opted to play a lifeless turd in waivers Shaw. If we suck, we should be playing the young players to no end but it took Julien far too long to figure that out and even then he was doing stupid **** like putting Scherbak with waivers Shaw.

Julien has a hard on for Pleks, he should be a 4th line center but I would be shocked if that's where he played all year.

I still wasn't sold on DLR last year. He got most of his points playing with Chucky, where Chucky did all the work.

I agree that he hasn't reached his ceiling, but I think the chances are small it's all that high. He has all the tools, just lacks offensive awareness. Plays that are open die on his stick and he seldom creates plays from nothing. However, he does seem like the shy-in-his-youth type and could develop a more take charge and aggressive demeanor as he gets older. But I haven't seen it yet so I say there's a slim chance. But since I like his tool kit so much I'd like to see what he can do as a dman, where the above problem isn't much of an issue.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I still wasn't sold on DLR last year. He got most of his points playing with Chucky, where Chucky did all the work.

I agree that he hasn't reached his ceiling, but I think the chances are small it's all that high. He has all the tools, just lacks offensive awareness. Plays that are open die on his stick and he seldom creates plays from nothing. However, he does seem like the shy-in-his-youth type and could develop a more take charge and aggressive demeanor as he gets older. But I haven't seen it yet so I say there's a slim chance. But since I like his tool kit so much I'd like to see what he can do as a dman, where the above problem isn't much of an issue.

I think DLR will be a decent 4th liner, he does have some skill but has been handled so poorly and was never going to be a 2nd liner imo. I would put him on Pleks LW as they would make for a good defensive duo.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think DLR will be a decent 4th liner, he does have some skill but has been handled so poorly and was never going to be a 2nd liner imo. I would put him on Pleks LW as they would make for a good defensive duo.

Fair enough, but what does he even bring to a 4th line. I'd like our 4th line to be somewhat of an offensive threat.

We'll likely have players like Byron, Hudon and Scherbak on it. Can we not find a center with some offense, like Metro or Peca? I don't want to go back to the days of Enquvist where our 4th line was always pinned in our own zone.

And, I think DLR would be a beast on the blue line, if he can learn the defensive positioning/backward skating needed to follow forwards.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Fair enough, but what does he even bring to a 4th line. I'd like our 4th line to be somewhat of an offensive threat.

We'll likely have players like Byron, Hudon and Scherbak on it. Can we not find a center with some offense, like Metro or Peca? I don't want to go back to the days of Enquvist where our 4th line was always pinned in our own zone.

And, I think DLR would be a beast on the blue line, if he can learn the defensive positioning/backward skating needed to follow forwards.

he brings size, skating, speed, defensive play, decent physical game, some offensive skills.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he brings size, skating, speed, defensive play, decent physical game, some offensive skills.

I know about the tools. I just always see them translate into good defensive play but stagnant offense.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The real workhorses are in TB's scouting department. Instead of just settling to pick up their excess talent, Habs should strive to hire amateur scouts as competent as theirs.

We might have started with the guy who's TB GM now. I'll bet he could assemble a crack scouting division.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
DLR helped Galchenyuk quite a bit when they played together, he did all of the defensive work.

And really, if you're going to hold it against DLR cause he got 8pts playing in 20 games with Galchenyuk to end the year...

What about Plekanec who played 60 games at over 16 mins a game playing with Gallagher for not much more production?

It's all about confidence with him...when the coaching staff used him and showed him trust, he contributed at both ends of the ice.

The team would be better served playing DLR over Plekanec...he's had 2 strong games in preseason playing mostly with AHL guys.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
DLR helped Galchenyuk quite a bit when they played together, he did all of the defensive work.

And really, if you're going to hold it against DLR cause he got 8pts playing in 20 games with Galchenyuk to end the year...

What about Plekanec who played 60 games at over 16 mins a game playing with Gallagher for not much more production?

It's all about confidence with him...when the coaching staff used him and showed him trust, he contributed at both ends of the ice.

The team would be better served playing DLR over Plekanec...he's had 2 strong games in preseason playing mostly with AHL guys.

The only way Plekanec over DLR is better is if DLR really sucks and playing Plekanec gives us another 2nd at the trade deadline. At this point I would take a new 2nd round pick over DLR.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The only way Plekanec over DLR is better is if DLR really sucks and playing Plekanec gives us another 2nd at the trade deadline. At this point I would take a new 2nd round pick over DLR.
Why would you take a new 2nd round pick over a guy picked in the 2nd round who is still developing?

I dont get it

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why would you take a new 2nd round pick over a guy picked in the 2nd round who is still developing?

I dont get it

I think his chances of being a 4th liner and nothing more are pretty much 90%. 4th liners are a dime a dozen and available in the UFA market and trade market for 4th rounders.

I'd rather have a 2nd rounder to try to get a top 9 player like Lehkonen.

Having said that, my personal opinion is I'd like to see how DLR would do as a dman. At that position, IF he can learn to track players while skating backwards, a big if, I think his skill set (big, smart, great skater, defensively minded, good stick handler, good shot, etc...) would allow his ceiling to potential be a top 4 dman. But I don't think he'll be tried there.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think his chances of being a 4th liner and nothing more are pretty much 90%. 4th liners are a dime a dozen and available in the UFA market and trade market for 4th rounders.

I'd rather have a 2nd rounder to try to get a top 9 player like Lehkonen.

Having said that, my personal opinion is I'd like to see how DLR would do as a dman. At that position, IF he can learn to track players while skating backwards, a big if, I think his skill set (big, smart, great skater, defensively minded, good stick handler, good shot, etc...) would allow his ceiling to potential be a top 4 dman. But I don't think he'll be tried there.

The premise of the argument was to play Plekanec over DLR so that Plekanec could fetch a 2nd at the deadline. But I don't think he will do that this year. So THAT discussion is pretty much moot.

As for DLR he is only 23, same age as Danault before he became a regular NHLer for us. He has a great shot and needs to start using it more. His potential is third liner, not 4th. I see no reason in a developing year for the team to not give him a chance before Plekanec!

Reactions: LaP and 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad