Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
At some point, the negativity toward this team has to end and I won't wait for Bergevin to be fired to show enthusiasm. I can honestly say that I'm excited to see those new faces (Domi, Peca, Armia).

No it wont end.habs fans do nothing but complain. Gotta look past it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Peca speaks fluent french...was not aware.

The kid can flat out skate. Hope this investment pays off

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It was the name i've put here as this year's surprise. Was a simple guess, but it won't be the first time a no name prospect from Tampa made an impact at the NHL level out of nowhere. Loved what i saw today from him.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Tatar - Peca - Gallagher

I think it's more about chemistry than labeling someone first or second or 3rd line center. Danault worked very well with pacioretty and Radulov when others did not.

Having said that, so far I've seen Danault have good chemistry with Byron, Lhekonen, and Hudon - i.e. 3rd line wingers.

The important thing now is to try different combinations and stick with them when they work.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Would be nice if he could steal the 3rd line center spot from Plekanec

I was just thinking, would be something if Peca won the 3c job, and DLR the 4c, that is both were better than Plekanec.

So far, DLR has shown good tools, but he couldn't even beat Froese for the 4c role last year. Carr Froese Deslauriers was simply better than Carr DLR Deslauriers.

Would be nice if DLR could win a role instead of being handed one based on his size and potential. But Peca looks on his way to winning the 3c role. We need to see more in a non-pond hockey game though of course.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Best case scenario is Peca being good enough at C to secure top 6 spot...

Danault
Peca
Pleks
JDR

That way drouin & Domi stay at wing, where they belong.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Best case scenario is Peca being good enough at C to secure top 6 spot...

Danault
Peca
Pleks
JDR

That way drouin & Domi stay at wing, where they belong.

Except Domi may be a significantly better center than Plekanec and DLR. As in Domi is top 6 level C, whereas Plekanec and DLR are 4th line center level. In which case our center line should be:

Domi
Danault
Peca
Pleks/DLR

Plus, we already have 4 sets of top 9 wingers:

Drouin - Armia
Tatar - Gallagher
Byron - Scherbak
Hudon - Lehkonen

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Can’t really imagine he’s a top 6 C all of a sudden, it’s not like he’s been lighting it up in the AHL in his couple years there. Too lazy to check again but I’m pretty sure he gets around 40 ish points with 60+ games a season in the AHL. So, good skilled small player buuuut a guy like Desharnais was over PPG in the AHL so.. maybe Peca can be a decent third line C with some skill and speed for us? Not really suited for a 4th line role either. I’m interested to hear how he does in the pre season games, cause anyone can look good in those scrimmages yesterday when most players are giving 50%.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you value DLR over Hudon, Lehkonen, or Scherbak? Strange.

It's only strange that you included Lehkonen and Scherbak in the response? Where did you come up with this? As far as DLR and Hudon, heading into camp, Yeah, I have DLR, Hudon, and Peca fighting for a spot.

Also, it was a post from over a month ago that you replied too and I was talking about who was playing center and where Peca would fit. Camp has a way of changing a lot of peoples mind.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's only strange that you included Lehkonen and Scherbak in the response? Where did you come up with this? As far as DLR and Hudon, heading into camp, Yeah, I have DLR, Hudon, and Peca fighting for a spot.

Also, it was a post from over a month ago that you replied too and I was talking about who was playing center and where Peca would fit. Camp has a way of changing a lot of peoples mind.

I'd like to give DLR a shot, but if Peca and Plekanec are in the lineup, that means one of Hudon, Lehkonen, or Scherbak are coming out.

I don't want to give him a shot that bad. Hopefully Hudon impresses. 30 points in 72 games, many at the end where he was clearly playing with a hand injury, and at the beginning on the 4th line, is no slouch season for a rookie.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd like to give DLR a shot, but if Peca and Plekanec are in the lineup, that means one of Hudon, Lehkonen, or Scherbak are coming out.

I don't want to give him a shot that bad. Hopefully Hudon impresses. 30 points in 72 games, many at the end where he was clearly playing with a hand injury, and at the beginning on the 4th line, is no slouch season for a rookie.

I think we run with a 25 man roster for the 1st month of October. 3 extra forwards and 2 extra defenseman. We don't need the cap space so it's not a big deal to carry a bit of extra cap hit.

I liked how DLR played last year but he needs to continue it. Hudon and Scherbak also played well at certain times of the season. Lehkonen to me is a step ahead of these guys and more proven. If Peca cracks the line-up, he pushes one of DLR, Hudon, or Scherbak out. At this stage, you need to produce and DLR, Hudon, Scherbak need to take the next step and they know this.

It also gets more complicated when Shaw is healthy. Like him or not, he is a NHL player and will be in the line-up when he is healthy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think we run with a 25 man roster for the 1st month of October. 3 extra forwards and 2 extra defenseman. We don't need the cap space so it's not a big deal to carry a bit of extra cap hit.

I liked how DLR played last year but he needs to continue it. Hudon and Scherbak also played well at certain times of the season. Lehkonen to me is a step ahead of these guys and more proven. If Peca cracks the line-up, he pushes one of DLR, Hudon, or Scherbak out. At this stage, you need to produce and DLR, Hudon, Scherbak need to take the next step and they know this.

It also gets more complicated when Shaw is healthy. Like him or not, he is a NHL player and will be in the line-up when he is healthy

Don't we have to get down to 23? I think all players who aren't in the top 23 and who aren't waiver eligible have to pass through waivers, and therefore can be taken for free.
It will be interesting to see if we carry 2 extra forwards and 1 extra dman, or 2 extra dmen and one extra forward.

If we only had 1 extra forward, it would seem one of Deslauriers, DLR, or Peca will be exposed to waivers.

If we only have 1 extra dman, when Weber comes back, 3 of Oullette, Benn, Alzner, Schlemko, and Lernout will be exposed to waivers (assuming Mete, Juulsen, and Reilly are protected).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad